Spring bow rigging

Reef Runner

Was going to my local Sail to stock up on a few things to get ready for spring run rainbows; sinkers, swivels, gapped hooks, leader material 4-6lbs.  I'm usually successful using worms, blowing them up with a little air to make them buoyant, then thought...maybe a floating jig head will work.  Asked dude working the counter and, bam, so many ways to rig for rainbows from floats to drop shot to three way swivels.

How do you rig up for your spring run rainbows?

Thanks,

Reef

Been using a bobber and roe for 30 years.  Probably won’t quit now.  I’ve bottom bounced plenty as well but only when they are float shy or when fishing big water.  I use beads sometimes also now, and I never use less than 6lb test leader.  That’s a big change considering 3lb was something we used all the time.  I don’t go for opener very often now though.  I usually fish the fall or early season more than the opener for spawned out fish.

• Like 2

I'm in fall the to March break crowd . But I can't be trusted here it is April 16 and trout sticks still in truck.

Fly's always half a dewy no weight and of course bags. Again I can't be trusted anything for a bite.

Edited by Garnet
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hit opener this weekend.  I arrived at my spring run spot as the sun was rising around 5:30am, guys were already there lining the banks.  River was high, fast and dirty.  My usual bottom bouncing rig with a blown up worm was of no luck, moved to a tied bag...45 min into I land a nice eater sized rainbow.  That was it.  Nobody else landed anything that I saw, packed up around noon.