Algonquin park ice out date

wee scot

We are behind schedule yet again for ice out, but the forecast looks very promising for things to change quickly.  I'm happy to be putting my sled to bed.

My guess is that we will be about a week ahead of last year, somewhere in the first week of May.

A co-worker of mine has been going to Cedar every year for opener.  He is confident that the ice will be gone by then.  According to him, he has fished Cedar every opener for 35 years (likely not true...).  I'm trying to tell him it might not happen this year, and he's not listening.  And he is taking is 83 year old dad out with him. 

All the reports I can find are all for Oepongo. 

Anyone know if Cedar and Oepongo get ice out around the same time?  Not sure the currents in the lakes. 

Edited by NAW

7 hours ago, NAW said:

A co-worker of mine has been going to Cedar every year for opener.  He is confident that the ice will be gone by then.  According to him, he has fished Cedar every opener for 35 years (likely not true...).  I'm trying to tell him it might not happen this year, and he's not listening.  And he is taking is 83 year old dad out with him. 

All the reports I can find are all for Oepongo. 

Anyone know if Cedar and Oepongo get ice out around the same time?  Not sure the currents in the lakes. 

Absolutely not true lol.  Ice out on Cedar last year didn't happen until two weeks after opener.  It's usually around the same as Opeongo.  

Here is a pic of Cedar from May 7 last year. 

https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov/?p=geographic&l=VIIRS_SNPP_CorrectedReflectance_TrueColor(hidden),MODIS_Aqua_CorrectedReflectance_TrueColor(hidden),MODIS_Terra_CorrectedReflectance_TrueColor,Reference_Labels(hidden),Reference_Features(hidden),Coastlines&t=2018-05-07-T00%3A00%3A00Z&z=3&v=-79.24311367303636,45.45490156624771,-77.66108242303636,46.36347090218521&ab=off&as=2017-04-23T00%3A00%3A00Z&ae=2017-04-30T00%3A00%3A00Z&av=3&al=false

You can go back year by year if you're interested.

We operate the Outfitters on Cedar Lake and typically it's free of ice around the same time as Opeongo, mainly because it has more flow through.  But like last year it has opened up after Opeongo too.  The difficulty is sometimes the condition of the road getting down to Brent on Cedar Lake as sometimes it requires quite a bit of maintenance.  We haven't been in yet this season but we did hire a couple of guys to go in earlier on snowmobiles to shovel the roof of it's snow load and they commented that they thought it was going to be late this season.  I wouldn't guarantee it to be open by trout season opening.  Currently I'm guessing around May 10th for both Opeongo and Cedar but we still have time for mother nature to make changes, warm positive temps over night, rain and wind will all help move things along.

Here's a couple of pictures we took from Lake Opeongo yesterday April 17th 2019

57936162_850916918592212_6272527164298493952_n.thumb.jpg.2b599d91eb688536d00b206e8699d0ea.jpg

57374573_850916901925547_8512357638569197568_n.jpg.8e8b1b2b4427cc7c70a90a4d9a9d6a1a.jpg

On 4/15/2019 at 1:14 PM, irishfield said:

May 20th..

Temagami currently has 3 feet of snow in the bush and 30+ good inches of ice on the lake.

Not a chance it's that late..  it would beat the record ice out by a significant margin....things are ahead of last year and ice out was may 10...ice will likely be gone this year sometime the first week of may 

On 4/19/2019 at 12:47 PM, BootScoot said:

Not a chance it's that late..  it would beat the record ice out by a significant margin....things are ahead of last year and ice out was may 10...ice will likely be gone this year sometime the first week of may 

It would be 4 days later than last year.  Temagami wasn't ice free until the 16th of May last year.  

• Thanks for the updates and great pics. everyone , heading into the backcountry (near Algonquin) 2nd week of May for our annual lake trout trip so as usual I will be watching various ice out reports. Not sure if you guys have seen this but the backcountry permits and campgrounds in Algonquin have been delayed till May 3 so plan accordingly . I have heard that there is still 20" of ice on most of Algonquin's lakes so that May 3 opening might be optimistic but with the right conditions you just never know . Also remember its not just the ice out that can be a problem , a lot of the access roads/trails are still still snow covered and they need to be assessed before any permits are issued.     

On 4/23/2019 at 10:58 AM, 4x4bassin said:
  • Thanks for the updates and great pics. everyone , heading into the backcountry (near Algonquin) 2nd week of May for our annual lake trout trip so as usual I will be watching various ice out reports. Not sure if you guys have seen this but the backcountry permits and campgrounds in Algonquin have been delayed till May 3 so plan accordingly . I have heard that there is still 20" of ice on most of Algonquin's lakes so that May 3 opening might be optimistic but with the right conditions you just never know . Also remember its not just the ice out that can be a problem , a lot of the access roads/trails are still still snow covered and they need to be assessed before any permits are issued.     

I find the the ice is only half the battle. Those access roads are often flooding and make it an adventure if you can't ford 18" of water