Trolling motor plug

boombap

What plug are you guys using for your trolling motors?

Im using the minn kota plug with the 6 gauge adapter and I’m sick of it. Either the wires come loose or the screws that hold the wires strip. Looking for a better option.. and at this point I don’t care how much it costs. Please guys, any input is appreciated.

Motor is a 80# terrova if that matters.

Thanks.

Go google "Anderson Connectors",  they come in a variety of application and sizes.  Here's a place for examples,  they are very good quality come in all size wires.  People use them for winches,  booster cable sets, etc so there will be an application that you can use 2 of them for foolproof connections, they're polarized.

https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/en/product/CONNECTOR%2CWIRE-CABLE/p/WWG3BY21

Edited by Fisherman

49 minutes ago, boombap said:

Bingo!  If you search around they also have a mounting plate for the one that stays in the boat so it doesn't flop around.   On the one for the trolling motor, they have a T handle to attach to make it easier to remove.

Edited by Fisherman

I use the standard Minn Kota plug.  I can never get that stupid thing in straight the first time, lol.  I should probably just mark the plug and receptacle and stop driving myself insane. 

I should probably upgrade to the Marinco 12VCPS3.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BillM said:

I use the standard Minn Kota plug.  I can never get that stupid thing in straight the first time, lol.  I should probably just mark the plug and receptacle and stop driving myself insane. 

I should probably upgrade to the Marinco 12VCPS3.

It's a piece of junk.. not worth what it costs retail. Early mornings I always have a hard time getting it straight. I'm over it.. hope this new plug is what it's supposed to be.

Guess Ill pony up the $ for a nice set of crimpers.

Thanks again boys.

10 hours ago, boombap said:

It's a piece of junk.. not worth what it costs retail. Early mornings I always have a hard time getting it straight. I'm over it.. hope this new plug is what it's supposed to be.

Guess Ill pony up the $ for a nice set of crimpers.

Thanks again boys.

I have the crimping tool, rosin core solder, heat shrink tubing, and top of the line soldering station. If you want to make a road trip to Lindsay, I can given you a hand. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Big Cliff said:

I have the crimping tool, rosin core solder, heat shrink tubing, and top of the line soldering station. If you want to make a road trip to Lindsay, I can given you a hand. 

Might have to take you up on that if the wires ever come loose on Sturgeon ?

2 hours ago, Sinker said:

No plug for me. Stupid thing is always the weak link so I removed it and now have straight power from the battery to the motor. I also upgraded the wire. Way better, and never had an issue since. 

I did that with my first boat.. how do you go about charging? Not worried?

Edited by boombap

22 hours ago, boombap said:

Might have to take you up on that if the wires ever come loose on Sturgeon ?

I did that with my first boat.. how do you go about charging? Not worried?

Been that way for about 10 years now. I don't disconnect anything. Never had an issue. I don't even run a fuse, it was also a pain in the butt, so its straight 6 Ga wire from motor to battery. (might even be 4 ga, I forget now) 

This is what Bass Cat uses and it gets good reviews. I know you already ordered something but just in case.

http://products.batterytender.com/Accessories/DC-POWER-CONNECTOR-KIT.html

FYI, That Minnkota plug everyone is complaining about is made by marinco. And anyone having issues lining them up, there is a little arrow on both the plug and the receptacle. If you've hooked the two pieces up correctly, they will line up and plug in perfectly.

I never had an issue with lining them up. I did have issues with the 6 gauge adapter loosening off... The ultrex on the new boat is wired direct and I just flip the breaker off to charge.  

On 4/13/2019 at 5:30 PM, Fisherman said:

Go google "Anderson Connectors",  they come in a variety of application and sizes.  Here's a place for examples,  they are very good quality come in all size wires.  People use them for winches,  booster cable sets, etc so there will be an application that you can use 2 of them for foolproof connections, they're polarized.

https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/en/product/CONNECTOR%2CWIRE-CABLE/p/WWG3BY21

NAPA also carries these.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lape0019 said:

This is what Bass Cat uses and it gets good reviews. I know you already ordered something but just in case.

http://products.batterytender.com/Accessories/DC-POWER-CONNECTOR-KIT.html

FYI, That Minnkota plug everyone is complaining about is made by marinco. And anyone having issues lining them up, there is a little arrow on both the plug and the receptacle. If you've hooked the two pieces up correctly, they will line up and plug in perfectly.

I never had an issue with lining them up. I did have issues with the 6 gauge adapter loosening off... The ultrex on the new boat is wired direct and I just flip the breaker off to charge.  

The problem with lining it up isn’t so much the actual plug.. but the mounting plate with the small tooth/indent that the female plug has to lineup with. I always had a problem where the screws came loose on the mounting plate and the male plug would just spin and not engage. A shame too because they were so close to getting it right. The 6awg adapter needs some type of clip/bracket to hold the wires in place so they won’t loosen over time.

Got the suggested plug in the mail today.. looks good. 

On 4/13/2019 at 8:13 PM, Fisherman said:

Crimp and definitely solder with electronic rosin core solder.  Don't use the plumbing stuff,  it will degrade the connection after a while.  One of your buddies must have a good soldering iron.

Hmmm, I worked in the aviation industry for over 35 years and have dealt with connectors from large ones with heavy wire up to 4ga on an engine harness down to 124 pin connectors using 24ga wire. It was always crimp OR solder never both. Mostly by far it was crimping as it allowed for more flexibility in the wire, the theory being that with the constant vibrations in aircraft a soldered wire in a pin or socket was too stiff and vibration was more likely to result in broken strands.

Now I'm not saying that it would be an issue here, but boats are subject to a lot of vibration as well so it might be something to consider. You're right about the solder, nowadays the flux is organic and non corrosive.

Cheers

I’m so tired of my MK receptacle letting the power cables bloody fall out. One time they even fell out started shorting off of each other and blew my fuse. Really safe stuff. I wonder what kinda law suit I could have started had my boat lit on fire.

Edited by AKRISONER