A Lota, Lota Ling.

limeyangler

Hi all,

Have been meaning to do this for a couple years now but never got round to it. 

Basically the Ling spawn this time of year and stack up. 

Finally made it out with a 2 hour window of opportunity before work. 

I thought you had to fish them at night but a buddy said they hit during the day at this time of year. He was not wrong, could not get a line down fast enough for the whole time I was there.

I wanted to leave after an hour but it was so fun i stayed for 2. 

Lots of ice left so i think I will have to do that again before they finish their spawn and go when I have more time so I can  chase lakers too.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, misfish said:

I want to see a cleaning and cooking video please Simon. You and your side kick Jack.:good:

Hey Brian, I only started cooking and cleaning them last year really. I had eaten it before that when other folks had prepared it, but was put off keeping them because I thought the cleaning process sounded beyond my capabilities and span of attention...lol.

I watched a couple of Youtube videos and thought it looked pretty simple, and it is!

The only thing you have to make sure of before you clean them is that the fish is not frozen solid and your knife is razor sharp, other than that you need a pair of pliers to peel them like a banana, if you manage not to go right through the meat when making the cut for the skin after peeling there are three easy steps for three cuts of meat, no more time to prepare than say a Laker or Pike and surprisingly less messy than you would think.

I'll try and do a cleaning video soon, but here is a culinary experiment my sidekick and I did last year.

O my gosh, how awesome does that look!  I always heard that the Ling was terrific table-fare but unfortunately I have never tasted it myself.

I love the way your buddy got his little one involve in the preparation too!  "And this is what we made!"  Priceless!!

Thanks for posting Limey!