GoPro tips for a nube

kickingfrog

Just got my first GoPro. It came with a floating handle and a head mount. I plan on getting an adaptor for my tripod and a glass mount. What other accessories have the collective found useful, or useless? I'll use it while fishing and hunting and figured the head mount might work for that but I have seen others use a gun mount.

Make sure you've got a Class 10+ or better SD card.  I run a 256gb in mine.  Never worry about running out of recording space.   I like suction cup mounts for the boat.  One on the windshield, one on the main.

+1 for extra batteries, GoPro suffers from battery performance. The dual battery charger will save you time.
Other than that everything depends on how you are planning to use it. GorillaPod Action Tripod will let you place the camera almost anywhere.
Tip: you can save lots of money by buying third-party accessories. There is plenty of them on Amazon for example.

Learn how to use the "looping" mode recording and have backup batteries.

Don't get excited about 4k, a lot of time 720 at 240fps may provide better action video for editing.

Be ready for fog and rain preparing for condensation problems.

Put a usb connector in your boat (2.1A if possible)

Get ready for abuse from the veteran fishermen!

Edited by Raycaster
spelling

I make my own adapters Rob. As you know,not many areas to just screw on a holder. LOL The stick on adaptors that go pro uses, is very strong. Once you put it on something,it aint coming off.

I use the session 5. So cant comment on the go pro camera you have, but I can tell ya that voice command, not all it,s cracked up to be, and sucks the battery life. Also dosent work half the time or cuts out.

Enjoy the fun.

And don't forget, you tube is your friend for figuring out trouble shooting. Helped me a ton.

Edited by misfish

On 4/7/2019 at 10:39 PM, BillM said:

Make sure you've got a Class 10+ or better SD card.  I run a 256gb in mine.  Never worry about running out of recording space.   I like suction cup mounts for the boat.  One on the windshield, one on the main.

Never thought about using the suction mount on the boat.

On 4/10/2019 at 5:36 PM, misfish said:

I make my own adapters Rob. As you know,not many areas to just screw on a holder. LOL The stick on adaptors that go pro uses, is very strong. Once you put it on something,it aint coming off.

I use the session 5. So cant comment on the go pro camera you have, but I can tell ya that voice command, not all it,s cracked up to be, and sucks the battery life. Also dosent work half the time or cuts out.

Enjoy the fun.

And don't forget, you tube is your friend for figuring out trouble shooting. Helped me a ton.

I would have tossed the "stickers" because I didn't think they would hold.

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:17 PM, kickingfrog said:

Never thought about using the suction mount on the boat.

Just an FYI, My old fishing partner has lost two using those suction mounts. As stated, those taped mounts hold strong. That 3M adhesive is insane.

I have 3 on my boat and use them all the time, i take people out and post their catches. Also i have friends around the world that i fished with at one time and it's a way to still fish with them. I do look back on the catches . I could care less what others think about my channel. 

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 1

I'm not sure exactly what your intended use is - filming yourself, others, above or below water but here are a few things I use. The clamp can be handy along a stream or in the woods but for a boat, a permanent mount may be better. For underwater stuff, I use a RAM adaptor with an Ettore painters pole. If you want to get fancy photos, try an over/under dome attachment. I have the Telesin model but it looks like there is some competition out there and I assume there is one for the newer GoPros.

RAM Pole Adaptor

Telesin Dome Port (Hero5)

An extra battery and the double charger is handy. A chest strap or sportsman's mount may also be good depending on your needs.

Have fun with the new toy!

Jon

Chinook Salmon - Streetsville (12).JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, msp said:

but I am useless when it comes to tech stuff. I would never be able to edit

Im an idiot,and seem to manage. LOL

Lucky to still have the windows 2012 movie maker.  Thanks to a couple of ghost chasers.