Woodland Caribou Park Rant

TJQ

Ive known Harlan for a long time... when he says he gave it all up to move from the south to live and work in that park, hes being honest.  Hes built a successful business, that personally I envy.  Its hard when your protest has to come to this..  Its a long rant.. but someone somewhere needs to be accountable

Can't he post a pic of the letter to show parks staff are wrong?

He should also go to the parks classification system where it should explain what activities are not allowed in a 'wilderness' class. Then he needs deal with the head of Ontario Parks and in that communication clearly state that the matter may have to go to the Minister and the Premier's office if not properly dealt with.

Oh and BTW wrong to assume that parks staff care about the local users/public. They want to protect the environment from people. Pure and simple. You can bet that they view snowmobiles/atvs as a threat to 'wilderness'. To be fair, these devices have become very popular of late and no doubt have a negative impact on wintering areas for moose/deer/caribou and also provide wolves with easier access to same.

I personally wouldn't suggest anyone start an outfitter biz until they read what the park classification system says about allowed use. This since even though the park might allow something, the rug may be pulled out at any time. Also you need to look at what powers the park manager has over allowed use.  Best of luck.

Things have changed over the years but found a few links briefly explaining the system. Here's a link to one.

https://allontario.ca/ontario-profile-ontario-parks/

Edited by cisco

In short he was issued a winter travel permit by the very same person who told the public (in a Facebook post) that snowmobiles were not allowed in the park.. she is going after him vindictively without punishment from her superiors. 

• Like 1

He's going to have a hard time getting anywhere unless and until he can quantify lost revenue as a result of the incorrect facebook post.

The blemish on his reputation as a result of that post is another matter and I am not sure how to pursue an avenue of recourse in that regard? Small claims court?

Also, I can't help but think that the language used in the post isn't going to serve him well in this matter. I get his frustration, but I don't think using colourfull language is going to help his cause.

HH

this feels eerily similar to the time that I tried to obtain a Toronto Harbour permit during the "off season" 

A lady on the phone was giving me a hard time because I wanted to use my boat  in the identifiable "harbour" which spans a distance from the Humber River all of the way up to the Scarborough Bluffs. Eventually I got to speak to the actual harbour master on the phone eventually and he basically said "dont go near the ferries, and stay the hell away from the airport, Ill get you your permit issued"

Just another road block for outdoorsmen. Funny the people that really care about these places the most seem to catch the most flak. The passing tourist always seems to be their focus.

Read my first post on this issue. He can go big and drag this around MNR up to the premier's office. But if it was me I'd forget about it and adopt a 'business as usual/unusual' position. This since right now he can buy snowmobile permits and access the park. In his advertising he can put added focus on allowable things he can help customers do in the park and quietly address any misconceptions/false comments they have heard.

The park did it before. He won then so he knows how to address this. Sad cost of doing business there it seems.

Edited by cisco
  • Like 1

I feel for the guy.  Making the video (50/50) but he should have spoken to a college kid in public relations. He could have gotten the same message out and kept the high ground.

If the park loses funding .. bet they want more people visiting.

I might tick off some people with this but if you work for the Government you should not be posting on Official government Facebook page personal opinions.  Most companies if you did that you would be fired.

Put your own name to it and post publicly. 

Who knows there may be a hidden agenda behind that park person post, like, if she has been told if so-and-so happens they'll close the park to snowmobiling. If the 'victims' are shown to get upset and even resort to name calling/threats/vandalism then 'we don't want their kind' may come into play to get what she really wants. 

Clear to me that she should be transferred to a 'recreation' class park where the issue shouldn't arise again. Or she needs terminated. 

Not sure this is the sword I would fall on myself, but I'm not in his shoes with a business to run. I do understand the draw of the Park but there's a boatload of crown land up there so why get in a pissing match with the government ? Running sleds in the Park has been an issue for some years and it does appear that the park page is confusing when it does show sledding as an activity. Guessing no one updated it ? I hope he considers editing his video so it's less rant.

Edited by woodenboater