Intro...sucker fishing

jerryB

Thanks for the add!

Once upon ago......I fished regularly but life and other interests took over and fishing fell off the radar.  Ive decided to dust off the equipment ..buy some new stuff  ? ....and do some local kayak fishing in the grand watershed.

As a kid I fished the Humber River at the" old Mill" for spring suckers.....it was a blast...and Id like to do that locally to get the season on the right track.

They should be moving anytime....so Im seeking a fishing spot in Cambridge.  There are a few dams....the Lens MIll dam on the speed, the dam in Galt.  ....Can anyone suggest a spot where the suckers gather?  

Thx in advance.

Hey Jerry...I must have grown up near you. Used to fish the same spot for what we called  "Humber Browns" in the spring back in the 80's...yup I'm old. I remember as a teen we would go to that dam where they congregate and not even use a rod. There was a break wall you could kneel on...we would just stick our arm in the water and feel around...grab one by the shoulders and pull it up! My buddy once grabbed onto a 20 lb carp doing this rather than a 3 lb sucker...he got it to the surface but we didn't "land" it. Good times. No clue where to catch a sucker near Cambridge, but good luck.

4 hours ago, Rizzo said:

Hey Jerry...I must have grown up near you. Used to fish the same spot for what we called  "Humber Browns" in the spring back in the 80's...yup I'm old. I remember as a teen we would go to that dam where they congregate and not even use a rod. There was a break wall you could kneel on...we would just stick our arm in the water and feel around...grab one by the shoulders and pull it up! My buddy once grabbed onto a 20 lb carp doing this rather than a 3 lb sucker...he got it to the surface but we didn't "land" it. Good times. No clue where to catch a sucker near Cambridge, but good luck.

Ever hear Pops blow the whistle LOL.  I had a lot of good times fishing that dam in the spring and fall before they notched it and put up signs.  Caught piles of fall browns, many a salmon and quite a few bows!

14 hours ago, porkpie said:

Ever hear Pops blow the whistle LOL.  I had a lot of good times fishing that dam in the spring and fall before they notched it and put up signs.  Caught piles of fall browns, many a salmon and quite a few bows!

We must of met there. It,s was my stomping grounds early 80,s. Shoulder to shoulder in front of the dam. Drifting the tennis court. Do you remember the french fella that always fished the left side using boiled single eggs ?  I think the ratio  sucker to brown, was 8-1. LOL

Edited by misfish

4 hours ago, misfish said:

We must of met there. It,s was my stomping grounds early 80,s. Shoulder to shoulder in front of the dam. Drifting the tennis court. Do you remember the french fella that always fished the left side using boiled single eggs ?  I think the ratio  sucker to brown, was 8-1. LOL

It’s quite possible.  There where 2 guys that I remember well enough but couldn’t give you their names.  One was a postie that tied all his bait in scarf material wore a CP jacket and the other was “Pops” and his whistle.  I remember when a king went from one side to the other you’d better be quick to get out or everyone was tangled LOL.  Good times!

31 minutes ago, porkpie said:

It’s quite possible.  There where 2 guys that I remember well enough but couldn’t give you their names.  One was a postie that tied all his bait in scarf material wore a CP jacket and the other was “Pops” and his whistle.  I remember when a king went from one side to the other you’d better be quick to get out or everyone was tangled LOL.  Good times!

I remember walking the rocks and "thought" what was another rock,which turned out to be a salmon, and down I went. Gave me the SLIP. LOL

Edited by misfish
  • Haha 1

On 4/1/2019 at 7:47 PM, akaShag said:

We used to SPEAR suckers in the spring and feed them to the pigs........but that was a long time ago.................and man, was it fun!  (Alcohol may have been involved.) ?

I never speared sucker but I did chase them up northern creeks (Kirkland Lake) into nets.......that was a blast!