tracking goldfish in Hamilton

kickingfrog

1 hour ago, David Chong said:

I've been catching wild goldfish for over 45 years in Lake Ontario and other small bodies of water around the GTA! Interesting how they're worried about them now!

LOL, I remember seeing them as a kid around the breakwalls at the Cleveland lakefront, never any small ones though.

20 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

LOL, I remember seeing them as a kid around the breakwalls at the Cleveland lakefront, never any small ones though.

Yup, I do too Ohio.  As a kid on the other side of the Erie shoreline closer to Windsor, I remember following a small school of brightly coloured goldfish, just cruising the shoreline.  That's around 50 years ago so it's definitely not a new phenomenon.   

Warming water temps, lower oxygen levels, etc., in the harbour are symptoms of a much larger issue. 

After hundreds of years, we've created an environment that's becoming more suited to the Goldfish( and carp )than to some of our native species.  We're spending millions of dollars trying to eradicate 'non-native' species from habits they are now adaptable too, while the will and means to restore the habitat to its original form doesn't exist.

In many ways, I think the genie is out of the bottle and we got what we got.