I hope none of you boys have a boat stored at Muskoka Lakes Marine

BillM

Been a bad winter for that, with numerous marinas suffering the same fate. Temagami Marine lost 1/2 of a storage section 2 weeks back affecting about 24 boats. Bad Winter for snow load with temperature cycles locking the snow to steel roofs vs the usual shedding process. Even here the snow NEVER fell off my hangar or shop roofs 5/12 and 3/12 pitches.

Gonna be lots of great used parts for sale.... Isn't that the Marina right in Rosseau by the beach?? We boat up there and spend the day. A short walk up the hill takes you to a great chip truck that's been there for years. The General Store is great too.

10 hours ago, bigbuck said:

Gonna be lots of great used parts for sale.... Isn't that the Marina right in Rosseau by the beach?? We boat up there and spend the day. A short walk up the hill takes you to a great chip truck that's been there for years. The General Store is great too.

I wonder if many of these boats will go to a boat wrecker or if the insurance company will repair them. Maybe a mix of both?

10 hours ago, HTHM said:

I have never seen a boat wrecking yard. Be nice to find some. 

There was a large one at the 8th line of Oro on hwy 11. It is gone now. Another small one in gasoline alley. Gone now as well.

Edited by misfish

1 hour ago, mamona said:

Is marina usually insured? I never asked for that...

I have had a couple of friends lose boats stored at marinas, and I doubt if things are much different up there than here, keep your own insurance coverage on your boat all year! An ice jam on a river let go and washed away 40-60 boats store on cradles years ago, they hit the iron breakwall and sank, lot of stories in our papers here about it, people not carrying their insurance over the winter to save a few bucks. Another had his in a rack storage and a fire melted a bunch of them.

• Like 1

I wouldn't depend on a storage facility to make good on an insurance claim. Always carry your own insurance. I am surprised at how many guys I know out here on Erie that don't insure their boats. I think they are nuts myself. Liability at the least.

Buddy has a boat bone yard just west of Dunnville on Rainham Rd. I drove by yesterday and his 2 acre property is jammed packed. And I know his building is packed with every boat part he gets his hands on. PM me and I will hook you up if you are looking for a part. 

16 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I wouldn't depend on a storage facility to make good on an insurance claim. Always carry your own insurance. I am surprised at how many guys I know out here on Erie that don't insure their boats. I think they are nuts myself. Liability at the least.

Buddy has a boat bone yard just west of Dunnville on Rainham Rd. I drove by yesterday and his 2 acre property is jammed packed. And I know his building is packed with every boat part he gets his hands on. PM me and I will hook you up if you are looking for a part. 

I will keep that in mind. Hopefully this year's expenses are only cosmetic. I need some cushions Re - upholstered. 

Wow ... I'm close by (at Minett) ... used to wonder whether it was worth the extra few bucks storing inside (heated) which i did the first few years vs shrink wrap outside ... feeling little better about about my choice now ... guessing the insurance rates may go up this year :(

17 minutes ago, camillj said:

Wow ... I'm close by (at Minett) ... used to wonder whether it was worth the extra few bucks storing inside (heated) which i did the first few years vs shrink wrap outside ... feeling little better about about my choice now ... guessing the insurance rates may go up this year :(

Pro's and cons. I hate meeses to pieces. They love nice warm cubby hole', nooks and cranny's to bed down for winter. s

On 4/3/2019 at 9:04 AM, camillj said:

True ... they clean her up and "spring-ize" it before she goes in the water so I suppose I wouldn't know :)

(what the eye doesnt see - the heart doesnt feel ) :)

Off topic again but, I have always put Irish Spring soap  shaved with a peeler in small plastic containers with holes cut in them all around where I think mice like to make a nest, seat backs, up under seats and all around the fuse panels and where electrical raceways run under the gunnels. So far so good, 11 years. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker