Family cottage burnt down - need advice

FishFinder17

First of all, sorry to hear this but I hope all will work out ok in the end!

I am interested in following this one, my granddaughter just bought their first house, it closed on March 1. They had a bit of cleaning up to do before they moved in, just painting and stuff. Before they even spent a night in the place it burnt to the ground, fire marshal investigated and said it was an electrical fault caused by rodents chewing on wiring, fortunately they had insurance (haden't even made the first payment yet). I guess it's all covered but I'm not sure what the process is.

1 hour ago, FishFinder17 said:

Yes it was

Wow, the few pictures I saw look terrible, luckily no one was hurt. I can only imagine the hassles involved, especially if you have to deal with them from a distance? Even the foundation of the cottage may have damaged? A complete do over?

Take pictures of wreckage and destroyed items? It may help determine initial value?

3 minutes ago, OhioFisherman said:

Wow, the few pictures I saw look terrible, luckily no one was hurt. I can only imagine the hassles involved, especially if you have to deal with them from a distance? Even the foundation of the cottage may have damaged? A complete do over?

Take pictures of wreckage and destroyed items? It may help determine initial value?

We're all very lucky that my brother made it out. Also lucky that he didn't have his dog with him. 5 minutes after he got out the roof started collapsing

He went back the next day to take pictures. Not a single thing is recognizable. Half of two walls are still up but its mostly just a pile of ash. Really hits home when you see the pictures and realize what was once there is now totally gone. 

I worked doing rebuilds for service master for over 7 years and worked on a lot of burn homes. I've seen what people go through with the insurance. Insurance companies really push to just write you a cheque and wash their hands of it but its a lot less money then getting it rebuilt. You are in for a lot of headaches. The more documents the more pictures more receipts you have to prove what you had and the value the better chance at more money. They love to give you depreciation values of all your contents. To get it built your better off having someone like service master rebuild it you'll get your best value but it's the longest process. You'll be lucky to have your place done by the end of summer. For any advice pm me

Pic's, pic's and bills of sale for as much as you can find!  A full inventory list as you go day by day adding to it when you have that "oh shiiiii, I forgot to say..." moment and a good adjuster will add things within reason.  And yes for fishing items the hooks, line, leaders, swivels and all those items lost do add up.

I will second ServiceMaster as the guys from Peterborough helped my folks out and me out when I needed them.  

On 3/27/2019 at 12:36 PM, pike slayer said:

I worked doing rebuilds for service master for over 7 years and worked on a lot of burn homes. I've seen what people go through with the insurance. Insurance companies really push to just write you a cheque and wash their hands of it but its a lot less money then getting it rebuilt. You are in for a lot of headaches. The more documents the more pictures more receipts you have to prove what you had and the value the better chance at more money. They love to give you depreciation values of all your contents. To get it built your better off having someone like service master rebuild it you'll get your best value but it's the longest process. You'll be lucky to have your place done by the end of summer. For any advice pm me

20 hours ago, GBW said:

Pic's, pic's and bills of sale for as much as you can find!  A full inventory list as you go day by day adding to it when you have that "oh shiiiii, I forgot to say..." moment and a good adjuster will add things within reason.  And yes for fishing items the hooks, line, leaders, swivels and all those items lost do add up.

I will second ServiceMaster as the guys from Peterborough helped my folks out and me out when I needed them.  

Thanks Pike Slayer & GBW

I'll definitely look into servicemaster

Will be an interesting process to itemize an entire tackle box from memory. I do think I have some pics from when i boasted to friends about my new lure purchases 

Some one, like Pikeslayer, who has been through it more than once is a fantastic resource. The advice to get the family together onsight to go through every room is also on point. It's been years since I was involved with general insurance but I can say without reservation that if you let them they will low ball you EVERY TIME. That's one of the ways they get paid. It used to be that an independant insurance agent, as opposed to an employee of a direct writer like State Farm , Co Operators etc, would go to bat for you but I believe those days are  long gone. Independant insurance brokers often struggle with issues of loss ratio, and exclusion by underwriters that makes them company men as much as the employees of the big direct writers. The best is to have a close friend as your insurance representative be they employed by the big guys or as independant brokers canvassing multiple underwriters for the best deal.

I hope this all works out for you as I'm sure it's currently very stressfull

Edited by Snidley
spelling

hey sorry to hear the bad news , anything like that is traumatic for all involved , I know of 2 or 3 great honest as the days long builders if you are in need , they work mostly in your area around the lakes building timber frame homes , I actually do all the finishing inside staining, painting ,and so forth, these are multi million dollar homes of course but they also build smaller cottages whatever the clients wishes, they are young guys terrific at what they do , Ive been doing business with them and their father for more than 25 years, so if you need a contact let me know   good luck   Bill