Well, it's been a while so....

Big Cliff

I've had a bit of a rough patch for the last year and a half, loosing Sue really took it's toll on me, tried drowning my sorrows for a while, all that did was give me hangovers. Tried running away from things, that didn't work either.  Thankfully my friends and family have stuck by me and I am starting to get myself sorted out!

This winter has gone by so fast, the late ice on Simco kind of messed up my ice fishing plans, my son came down and we did manage to get out three times and get some perch but that was it for Simco. I had hoped to get out several times but.....

Went to Mexico for a week in Feb.: that didn't work out so well, it had been years since I'd flown anywhere, massive confusion at the airport with all the new; scan this do that, sit and wait.... Got robbed on our second day there, some how they got into our room and into our safe (which the resort said couldn't be done) yup $2000.00 cash between my buddy and I gone and a watch his late wife had given him..... turned out we weren't the only ones, we found out several other people had similar problems and this was a 5 star resort. Resort wouldn't do anything, just kept saying they were investigating. Besides that the beaches were a mess with seaweed. Won't do that again!!!!

Now on a brighter note; Went to Myrtle Beach from Feb. 24 to March 24, we were going to just do a road trip and tour around the South but when we got to Myrtle Beach I decided to go over to Apache Pier (I'd been there years ago and had a blast). I decided to ask if they had any rental units available in the camp ground and it turned out that they did (they call them " leisure Living units" which are really trailers type units on a permanent site. We managed to rent a really nice 2 bedroom for the month for $750.00, 3 minute walk to the pier, 5 minute drive to Walmart and all kinds of shopping.

It wasn't as warm as Florida but there wasn't any snow and it wasn't busy. Fell in love with the place all over again, went pier fishing almost every day, caught whitings galore (a little fish crisp and deep fried, you can have your shrimp, this is MUCH better), crokers, shark, slicks, puffer fish, even a crab that decided to hang on to my bait and wouldn't let go. Met up with some really great guys, one of them lives just South of me, small world isn't it? Some of our neighbors that live in the park most of the year were kind enough to show us some of the local favorite dining spots etc.. If you ever see a place called "Mission" in your travels, Smoked meat sandwich with a side of slaw (don't bother ordering the fries the sandwich is a 1/2 lb of meat alone), best smoked meat I have ever had!

I have already booked for all of next winter (Jan. Feb. March) but a slightly bigger 2  bedroom place (but 1 and 1/2 bathrooms) still only 3 minutes from the pier so..... ?

Anyway, just thought I'd check in and try to catch up.

• Like 6

Glad to hear that you are finally getting things sorted out. I have a couple of friends down here going through the same painful process after losing their  partners to cancer.. 

Sounds like you found a real gem down in Myrtle Beach.

Welcome back Cliff, I am sorry you have had a rough patch and the lose of Sue. You do know that when your world gets dark  that this is a place to come to instead of avoid. You have way to many friends who care about you here and will help you any way they can. 

One of your friends

Art

• Like 1

Hi Cliff, welcome back. Now that I have completely retired maybe we can get out on the water or on the ice once in a while. As I said in my PM and texts if you you ever need to talk you know how to get in touch..

Nice to see you back Cliff and hear that things are turning around a bit for you. After all these years on here, I never had the pleasure of meeting you or Sue in person, but from what I have read of your posts, She was a real treasure and I feel your pain.

Sorry to hear about Mexico. we were there for a week in Cozumel at the start of this month and it was fantastic. I would like to hear more, because i plan on doing it again next year. The Myrtle beach place seems really nice for you too. i would much rather a place like that than be in the middle of tourism.

Again, nice to hear from you! As Roy always says, Be well!

Hey Cliff.  

Sorry to hear about the rough times my friend.  I am still in town and looking forward to trying to get out with you this summer.  You know how to reach me on my cell so feel free to drop a line (call or fishing) any time fine sir.  

G

On 3/26/2019 at 8:32 AM, aplumma said:

Welcome back Cliff, I am sorry you have had a rough patch and the lose of Sue. You do know that when your world gets dark  that this is a place to come to instead of avoid. You have way to many friends who care about you here and will help you any way they can. 

One of your friends

Art

Thanks Art, I'm afraid I wasn't very good company for a while, self pity and alcohol don't work well together. 

23 hours ago, fisherman7 said:

Welcome back. What resort were you at? 

Bahia Principe Coba

I talked to our travel agent after we got back and she told me they won't even sell that property any more because they have had so many incidents there lately.

Thanks for all the replies, I am really looking forward to getting back out fishing and enjoying time with my friends again. Part of the reason I got the larger place in Myrtle Beach for next winter is that I'm hoping a few of you will come for a visit for a week or so ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Cliff said:

Thanks for all the replies, I am really looking forward to getting back out fishing and enjoying time with my friends again. Part of the reason I got the larger place in Myrtle Beach for next winter is that I'm hoping a few of you will come for a visit for a week or so ?

OFC meetup 2020!

• Like 1

Good to hear Cliff. You were always more than ready and able to help anyone from our group here. What happened in Mexico sucks but unfortunately it is something that happens at resorts quite often. Glad to hear you enjoyed Myrtle Beach. If you ever want to go for smallies in Muskoka, let me know. 

On 3/26/2019 at 8:32 AM, aplumma said:

One of your friends

Art

Couldn't have been said better; Art!!!!!

I understand that you're going South again next winter; but if by chance you're up here for whatever reason. Please do not go out with an operator ice fishing. My hut will (if things go as I hope) will be out on the ice. One phone call or PM here on the site and Ill be there. Sorry not just for you; I want/need any excuse to head back out to SImcoe and the fish hut. I have not met you yet; but that has to be remedied ASAP!!!!

Dan.

Big Cliff!!

Thanks for the update.  I’ve been wondering what you’ve been up to.  Glad to see you’ve kept yourself busy (although getting robbed sucked!).  Your post actually prompted me to post again on this forum....must be a few years since I’ve done that!   Take care!

The Smaller Cliff