Be careful out there

AKRISONER

Just a public service announcement cause I don’t want to see anyone run into trouble out there.

two weekends ago on the 17th I was in an area fishing a spot that I fish very regularily on 3 feet of ice after the slight warm spell we had. Temps were -13 and everything seemed great until I went through. Only went up to my waist and was wearing my survival suit. The warm spell and wind pushed a lot of warm water into the basin and sure enough an old hole (probably one of my own to be honest) had opened up to be about 2x2 feet across and had gotten snow covered. In a went.

This past Sunday the 24th my best friend decided to get an extra morning in on the big sound after we did ok on Saturday and ventured out on his own. The ice Saturday and Sunday was great with cold temps hard clear ice but a lot of wind. As things heated up Sunday and the wind died a lot of moving water caused a pressure crack to open up near waubuno beach. My friend who was driving back the same route he had taken in the morning was shocked to see wide open water where he had travelled just hours before. He was lucky he could simply head to shore and make his way back into town along the beachfront. 

Theres a hell of a lot of ice out there guys, but don’t trust anything. The ice is thick, but not stable. Wear your suit, carry picks, and I wouldn’t recommend travelling at night at all anymore. 

Softwater will be upon us soon, be patient.

• Like 1

Areas that had about 28" , now are 24" , have even heard of 18" where there was about 30" only 2 weeks ago. The ice is getting softer forsure quick with this sun beating down. I have started to notice bubbles in the ice at the bottom 6" of the holes. This means the ice is starting to absorb the water.  Probly be the last weekend for me.