8 years for Humboldt truck driver

lew

9 minutes ago, Terry said:

wow, people have got less for murder

he desires to get time

but

how  many of you have ever accidentally blown a stop sign or red light

i have...thank god i didnt hit anyone,   8 per  years  wow

Pretty well my thoughts exactly Terry and I was also surprised that he'll be deported.

It's absolutely terrible about the accident but he didn't leave the house that morning with the intent to murder 16 people and I'm sure there's people who have committed terrible crimes in Canada who didn't get deported for them.

I'm all for deportation laws, but I don't really see the reasoning for it in this case.   I understand that it's a deportation law which comes into affect as a result of the 10 year jail term, not a part of the original sentencing from the judge.  Should be a lot of people deported before this guy if you ask me.   Gotta remember, he's gotta live with this forever as do the families.   No one wins here.

• Like 2

I'm at a loss as to why the judge would even state it like that "8 years for each count"... some will think he's going to jail for 128 years... not just 8.

As Terry stated, I think most of us have blown through a stop sign at some point of our lives and thankfully didn't end up in a similar mess. If the bus driver hadn't have been speeding... the guy would have cleared the intersection before the bus got there. Just sayin...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, irishfield said:

I'm at a loss as to why the judge would even state it like that "8 years for each count"... some will think he's going to jail for 128 years... not just 8.

As Terry stated, I think most of us have blown through a stop sign at some point of our lives and thankfully didn't end up in a similar mess. If the bus driver hadn't have been speeding... the guy would have cleared the intersection before the bus got there. Just sayin...

We all have for sure but the article made it seem like a little more then that. 

'A sentencing hearing in January heard that Sidhu was going between 86 and 96 km/h when he passed four signs warning him about the upcoming intersection before he came up to an oversized stop sign with a flashing light.'

4 warning signs makes me think he was distracted for quite some time. It makes it a little tougher to swallow then if it was just a stop sign and nothing else. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/4901778/semi-driver-in-humboldt-broncos-bus-crash-had-70-regulation-violations/

Owner of trucking company involved in Humboldt crash charged | CBC News

A tragic situation, just from my view if the owner of the company was skirting regulations he is just as guilty as the driver.

Put yourself in the shoes of any one of those families who lost one of their children needlessly because of this. Is 8 years enough? Was 8 years enough for Marco Muzzo? typically only 2/3 of se sentence get served with time reduced for good behavior. In one case you have a truck driver who knowingly drove distracted and in the other case you have a car driver who drove impaired. The truck driver did not simply blow a stop sign, he was not even looking at the road signs. 

Death by vehicle penalties are much different than those imposed for true murder at the hand of the accused. In my opinion 8 years was not enough and yes deport him, we don't need people like that living in such a great country when they have no respect for our laws.

Muzzo will end up driving again at some point in his life, too bad nothing else can be done with him having been born here. He has no respect for human life. He had all the money in the world and was too arrogant to take a taxi or limo home from the airport knowing himself how impaired he really was.

Edited by Cast-Away

Hey guys,been away awhile,lots going on, Having said that,just asking isn't that what insurance for?. illegal here get that,bad accident for sure. As all have said if we go threw a intersection on a red light are we liable or even a stop sign?. Hate to think if by accident that happens to me ,being locked up..

According to Canadian Motor Vehicle Traffic Collision Statistics, 2016: 1.

In 2016, the number of motor vehicle fatalities in Canada was 1,898, up 2% from 2015 (1,860). 2. In 2016, there were 10,322 serious injuries due to motor vehicle collisions in Canada, down 4% from 2015 (10,748).

https://www.cacp.ca/index.html?asst_id=1626

The driver stated the reason he missed the sign, and the warnings, was one of the tarps on his load was flapping and he was concerned it would cause a hazard to oncoming traffic, - he had not received training on proper tarping processes

He was a new driver, driving a set of trains  (been to a boat launch lately?); 

No sentence will bear what he brings upon himself. And yet, if it were my child, I know I would find any sentence inadequate. I do not believe there is any justice for anyone in this situation. It is simply tragic. 

Listen to this for the view from the other side. What is it they say about not judging until you have walked a mile?

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/outintheopen/doing-justice-1.5037668

And I have managed a driver who killed someone. She ran a yellow; he timed the green. I saw her two years after the fact. She was emotionally ruined, her livelihood gone. Her sorrow beyond measure. "Rick, every time I hear a siren, I see it again. I wake up in the night, screaming, at the sight"

And yes, I too bear that burden and have spent the last 18 years in my profession making sure I will never have to again.

If you think that a jail sentence is justice.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LeXXington said:

When you are a landed immigrant you have  have most rights of a Canadian (except vote in fed elections).

You can be here 40 years but do a crime and still get deported.

He will appeal and get a reduced sentence but still might get deported.

Sad all around..

He will be deported even if his sentence is reduced. 

The maximum sentence for this crime is 14 years.

"Waldman says permanent residents such as Sidhu cannot remain in the country if they commit a crime for which the maximum sentence is at least 10 years or their jail sentence is more than six months."

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/trucker-who-caused-broncos-crash-likely-to-be-deported-after-sentence-lawyer-1.4347221#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=Facebook&_gsc=UsHy4RQ

On 3/23/2019 at 9:43 AM, chris.brock said:

Whether the sentence is just or harsh, seems like a dumb way to do it. Why have him in jail here for years then deport him. Why not just deport him immediately and be done with it.

The deportation process can take years as well, that's why. 

S.