AWD or 4 x 4 ?

16 Footer

What is the difference between AWD and 4x4 vehicles ? Not having one yet but considering getting one I never really understood which better for traction,  handling and towing.

I tow around 2000 to 3000 lbs. Thanks for your reply.

3 hours ago, 16 Footer said:

After reading Fisherman's article, it looks like AWD is a better choice for all round driving conditions.   

It's from Subaru lol, I wouldn't expect them to say anything else. I've always had a 4x4 truck, I prefer the option to put it in 4wd when I need it rather than having all that wear and tear on the drive train full time.

Cheers

• Like 1

I've got what's called "4auto" on my truck which is nice as it leaves the truck in rear wheel drive but as soon as the back wheels slip it automatically kicks into 4 wheel drive. Nice when driving on roads with a mixture of snow/ice & dry roads so you don't need to keep switching back & forth.

yeah, Depends what you're looking to do with it.

They all have a place and time. And not every AWD is the same either.

I prefer a truck to be able to go RWD and then 4X4 hi/low or auto ( I have all options). It gives you more options. but to be honest, I have yet to need 4x4 when pulling my boat out of a launch. But... I tend to stick to decent launches.

My car however, I have AWD. It is great! I had always have front wheel before and the extra control is very noticeable. From what I recall, I believe my AWD is still rear wheel dominant with 60% of the power going to the rear wheels. If I put it into snow mode, it is supposed to make it 50/50.

I run a 4x4 with hi, low and 4 wheel differential lock. I run it 90 percent in 2 wheel drive 5 percent 4x4 hi, 4 percent in 4x4 low and 1 percent in 4x4 low diff lock. The one percent got me out of an expensive tow bill. That said if you are going to be running the roads then AWD makes the most sense to me. The wife's escape has auto AWD and it is amazing in the snow (what little we get). If you plan on going off road or hauling then 4x4 is the way to go. If you talk to mechanics they can tell you the difference between the build and the durability of 4x4 VS AWD that is  found in most light duty trucks and SUV's. As far as gas goes, the bigger the engine and the heavier the vehicle the worse the mileage will be. You can't have it both ways which means you have to decide before you buy what is more important to you. 

Art

8 hours ago, lew said:

I've got what's called "4auto" on my truck which is nice as it leaves the truck in rear wheel drive but as soon as the back wheels slip it automatically kicks into 4 wheel drive. Nice when driving on roads with a mixture of snow/ice & dry roads so you don't need to keep switching back & forth.

I have that on my '01 Sierra as well but I'm super hesitant to use it. The idea of the drive train kicking into 4wd while rear wheels are spinning just screams to me asking for something to break. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't trust it. To me the most dependable was the locking hubs I had in my old 78 Chev. Nothing electrical to worry about, no solenoids to screw up and no front axles turning until I locked the hubs and engaged the front diffy. The old days eh hehe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smitty55 said:

I have that on my '01 Sierra as well but I'm super hesitant to use it. The idea of the drive train kicking into 4wd while rear wheels are spinning just screams to me asking for something to break. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't trust it. 

This is how most AWD vehicles work.

The computer senses wheel spin and reduces power to those wheels while adding or increasing power to the other wheels.

It's pretty slick.

2 hours ago, smitty55 said:

I have that on my '01 Sierra as well but I'm super hesitant to use it. The idea of the drive train kicking into 4wd while rear wheels are spinning just screams to me asking for something to break. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't trust it. To me the most dependable was the locking hubs I had in my old 78 Chev. Nothing electrical to worry about, no solenoids to screw up and no front axles turning until I locked the hubs and engaged the front diffy. The old days eh hehe.

Don't know about an '01 but on my '17 Silverado when you put it in auto it engages the front differential but doesn't send power to the front wheels unless it detects slippage at the rears. So it's not really kicking in and out of four wheel.

11 hours ago, 16 Footer said:

Which truck has the best, reliable 4 x 4 and is reasonably good on gas?

if you want the most comprehensive analysis for new and used, consider buying this: http://www.lemonaidcars.com/. It also provides a complete list of all TSB and hidden warranties, and most common problems for each make and model. 

For what its worth, I picked up a Honda Ridgeline (AWD) a few years ago when they had a factory sale. I tow almost every weekend of the summer, both 2 quads and a 18 footer depending on the weather. I have just shy of 300k on it, still runs like the day I picked it up. I have replaced the right lower control arm the right  front axle, less than $1000 for the both combined - other than that, nothing but regular maintenance. It averages 12.9 combined not towing, and 17 combined towing and going to work.  On the trip to Nipigon and back it averaged 21 /100 with a full load, extra gas and two of us. Snow is no issue, and Fishmaster's ramp (if you've seen it, you know what I mean)  is no sweat. Not sure if I would buy a new one, but I wouldn't hesitate to pick a used one off lease with decent mileage.  

8 hours ago, smitty55 said:

The idea of the drive train kicking into 4wd while rear wheels are spinning just screams to me asking for something to break. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't trust it. 

I have no experience with 4auto on any other vehicle but on my '18 F150 the transition from 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive is very smooth with no jarring at all.

I've had both. My vote is 4X4 by far for what I need it for. Snow and ice road conditions, the occasional steep slippery boat ramp and driving a farms back 40 once in a while.  I have had to pull a few folks from the ditch or stuck in a snow drift and I know that the AWD wouldn't do the job 4 low will. Last winter during a bad storm here along the lakeshore I came across a AWD vehicle in a ditch. The driver passed me doing about 80KPH and we were doing about 40 to 50KPH. The young lady in the AWD something or other was surprised she lost control because after all it was an AWD vehicle. I could have pulled her out but was dressed in my Sunday best and didn't have any "pull a AWD out of the ditch" clothing with me. I gave her the number for CAA. 

What you need is Russian 4x4 -> The Greatest Soviet Car

I had a discussion once with a fellow who owned a pair of Ladas. He said it was the best snow plow vehicle he had ever driven - lock the center diff, put it in low, and drive through anything. Nothing would stop it. He even towed another car on a trailer through the mountains with one - start off in low, shift through the gears, pop it out of low, rev match and put in high, work through the gears. Once you're up to speed pray that nothing forces you to stop so you have to go through the whole process again. Downshift to slow down, don't trust the brakes. I guess the only downside is it scored a 0 out of 4 in Russian Safety Standard testing. Make what you will of that.

What do you hope to do with it? Ive had both. My subaru was great, but its nothing like real 4x4. The awd (especially subaru) were horrible on fuel (15-16l/100km from a 2.5l 4 cylinder engine!!) My 17 ram gets better mileage. If you plan to tow a 2-3000lb boat a fair bit, get a truck. Sure, a smaller AWD vehicle will do it, but it wears on them a lot more than with a truck, and they work much harder.  Having both, i take the truck 100% of the time, and i dont mess with auto 4wd either, if there is any crap on the roads, im in 4 high all the time. Your better to use it than not to. Ive seen more problems from guys never using 4x4 than i have guys who use it all the time. 

IF fuel mileage is your concern, still go with a truck...lol....they are all very fuel efficient theae days. I average about 13l/100km, and i am towing a trailer at least once a week, abd i have a heavy foot. I can get that down to 11l/100km easy if i keep my foot out of it and slow down a little. 

S. 

After a good submission of info but not knowing your budget limit, maybe take a look at the RAM Ecodiesel.  I've had mine for just over 3 years, other than a minor electrical glitch, it runs fine and dirt cheap.  Running empty, I can get between 7.5 l/100 in summer and around 9 in winter.  If I tow the enclosed cargo trailer with ATV or 16' boat it runs around 10.5.  Even towing the 22' travel trailer is pretty good at around 12.5l/100.  Ford also has one if you're inclined that brand.  GM is "supposed to" come out with a 3.0l Diesel for 1/2 tons but it seems to be stuck somewhere between building them and getting them out to public,  not that I would ever buy another GM. 

A neighbour bought a Ram 1500 4x4 with  3.6 v6. He is happy with it and says it is good on gas. That maybe an option. Right now I tow with a mini van which is working ok as long as  the launch is not too steep or has poor traction. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 16 Footer said:

A neighbour bought a Ram 1500 4x4 with  3.6 v6. He is happy with it and says it is good on gas. That maybe an option. Right now I tow with a mini van which is working ok as long as  the launch is not too steep or has poor traction. 

Good little motor, I think same as what Brian has.

13 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I've had both. My vote is 4X4 by far for what I need it for. Snow and ice road conditions, the occasional steep slippery boat ramp and driving a farms back 40 once in a while.  I have had to pull a few folks from the ditch or stuck in a snow drift and I know that the AWD wouldn't do the job 4 low will. 

A few years ago when I was on a trip to Alaska my buddy and I ran my Honda Pilot down the beach to the river mouth.

On the way back we came upon a Chevy Suburban stuck just as you come onto the beach.

I yanked him out in low with the diff locked no problem!!!  

I joked with my buddy that we should be filming this to post on Youtube,

Title soccer mom mobile rescues stuck suburban!!!! ?

it can get confusing even in rams there is a couple different transfercases  BorgWarner bw 44-40 found in most bighorn sport lamerie is really a awd transfercase that works with traction systems to be a parttime system requires putting in 4 low the tranfercse in outdoorsman and lower line think it wa a new process nv236  auto transfercase also used in gmc pickups (before being bought by magna) was a partime transfercase the auto was achieved by has a autotransmission clutch pack on front output shaft in tranfercase and encoder motor applied and released a fork to a pply clutch .

had both systems on my own vehicles both have advatages 

looking for a new truck the 2019 ram classics are priced to move sold a pile of 3.6l trucks people seem happy with them, I would step up to hemi 8 speed myself and don't bother with ecodeisels  to many issues.