River fly fishing for pickeral ?

misfish

Got a tip on some river pickeral fishing this up coming season . Never really thought about fishing for them,BUT, they are in the same water system I will be fishing for trout.   Been told to bring a rod to dunk worms, but I want to just take one fly  rod combo. I am thinking I could get away with the sanwan worm. Maybe make it thicker then the trout version .  While I am tying my trout flys for this up coming season, I thought if there was a fly for pickeral, I would try my hand at it, and give it a go.

Anyone toss flys for river pickeral ? If you fly fish for walleye,I would like to hear from you as well. :Gonefishing:

Edited by misfish

I've caught them with bead head wooley buggers or leach patterns while fishing for trout. Always in August while fishing trout deep with sinking leader or split shot, pike were hitting them too. Awesome feeling catching the trifecta in on pool.

Used to chuck bugs now and again when living in the Moose Brian.  Up on the North French and Cheepas in spring when they're shallower, I did best with a weighted chartreuse wholly bugger.  Pink would do well too.  And as Gil pointed out, Clousers just like the ones he's posted caught a fish or two as well.