The cormorant hunt that wasnt...

Gerritt

Bill the hunters could be charged not for 'hitting' other migratory species but for disturbing them while they were nesting. That is a judgement call in the field. A way for the anti-hunting bios to stop a hunt. I very much doubt many other migratory birds are close to cormorant nesting sites. Any that are, that experience any nesting failure would be inconsequential IMHO. 

Edited by cisco

1 minute ago, cisco said:

Bill the hunters could be charged not for 'hitting' other migratory species but for disturbing them while they were nesting. That is a judgement call in the field. A way for the anti-hunting bios to stop a hunt. I very much doubt many other migratory birds are close to cormorant nesting sites. Any that are, that experience any nesting failure would be inconsequential IMHO. 

So it's like catching out of season bass while pike fishing in the spring?    'Could' be charged and 'Charged' are two very different things, lol.

14 hours ago, dave524 said:

It would be the RCMP that would have to lay those charges, I expect you would be OK with the Provincial CO's unless you were really screwing up other species.

Why is that?  The OMNRF enforce the migratory bird laws that are federal not the RCMP....not all federal laws have to be enforced by RCMP.

5 hours ago, G.mech said:

Why is that?  The OMNRF enforce the migratory bird laws that are federal not the RCMP....not all federal laws have to be enforced by RCMP.

I used to work at Long Point and lived in Port Rowan, quite a while ago, it was the Mounties that enforced a lot of the migratory game bird stuff including setting up roadblocks on the causeway spot checking duck hunters , the CO's at that time stuck mostly to enforcing small game, sport and commercial fishing. There was a lot of CWS sanctuary land there and both the MNR and CWS had land open to hunters as well.  If the fed's are setting up a roadblock to the provincial commorant shoot I would expect that our CO's would leave you alone and the  RCMP might bust you.  A situation not unlike the legal cannabis states where the local police are OK with it but the American Federal Custom guys will bust you if returning from a trip and have some in possession.

Fisheries are also Federal. Transfer payments from the Federal gov't to Provincial governments is what I understand pays/contracts fisheries and migratory bird enforcement out to our COs. I expect the OMNR and CWS will be giving an announcement re the things they will be laying charges for. Expect a uniform enforcement approach from both the CWS and OMNR officers.