Lake Simcoe Perch

FishGuy3754

Check out this video from the guys at fishing for the rest of us. I have fished for perch on simcoe before and usually stick to cooks bay but i'm usually out in a pop up hut. this year though it seemed to be the year of the dinks but on one of my trips we managed to bring home about a dozen caught 150 or so for our group that day. Nothing massive mind you and barely reached 11 inches with the biggest one but still some nice fish. I find some of the bigger jumbos dont taste as good anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

You guys need to think like a big perch. The wee ones are around weeds and such where small food items exist. Big perch are after shiners 1st and now will take gobies too. Don't find that so much in the shallows compared to deep drop offs where shiners come and go from. I have had 50 perch days with a companion with little sifting through dinks following this approach. As the schools travel around they seem to follow contours as we follow roads. You wouldn't look for a hamburger stand in a subdivision nor would big perch look for shiners in a shallow bay. Sure exceptions are the rule but I have had pretty good luck in deeper water close to deep water at funnel points they move through to get to food or to intercept food. Oh and 9 inches or larger is what we normally get. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cisco said:

You guys need to think like a big perch. The wee ones are around weeds and such where small food items exist. Big perch are after shiners 1st and now will take gobies too. Don't find that so much in the shallows compared to deep drop offs where shiners come and go from. I have had 50 perch days with a companion with little sifting through dinks following this approach. As the schools travel around they seem to follow contours as we follow roads. You wouldn't look for a hamburger stand in a subdivision nor would big perch look for shiners in a shallow bay. Sure exceptions are the rule but I have had pretty good luck in deeper water close to deep water at funnel points they move through to get to food or to intercept food. Oh and 9 inches or larger is what we normally get. 

Great advice.

5 hours ago, cisco said:

went out with Taro Murata, we were bass fishing but decided to divert our attention to getting some table fare for an hour. ive only been on the perch once while fishing simcoe...and what cisco is describing is exactly how we were fishing. results speak for themselves

11-Taro-trip.jpg

On 3/28/2019 at 4:59 AM, cisco said:

Right on the money!!!! I have had some fantastic days on Simco. I typically fish in about 30 fow. we don't usually keep anything under 10 or 11". but often run into 11+" fish and in good numbers.