Asian Carp News.

captpierre

https://www.bareitallpetfoods.com/

" Ingredients: 

Wild-Caught Asian Carp Fillets "

I seem to recall reading that native Americans ( Indians) used to put a fish under their seeds they were planting? Fertilizer?

I also feel that them getting into the great lakes would be a serious issue and you have to wonder about the thought processes of the people that allowed them to be brought here?

13 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

" Ingredients: 

I seem to recall reading that native Americans ( Indians) used to put a fish under their seeds they were planting? Fertilizer?

I also feel that them getting into the great lakes would be a serious issue and you have to wonder about the thought processes of the people that allowed them to be brought here?

seems to me fertilizer is a great opportunity ....

Hopefully we can figure something out soon to help stop them. seems the first step is people researching and agreeing on a solution instead of just delaying.

Also floater I expect if you use it in large quantities then maybe the fishyness will start to seep in lol.

Chinese people like them so much the have been fished out in many places in China. I say put a big effort into commercial fishing these critters. There was a commercial fishing derby on these things a few years ago and the winner netted over 30,000lbs in 2 days of fishing. The fish is a plankton feeder so it is probably one of the lowest contamination  fish available from the Mississipi watershed. I'm told they  taste very similar to walleye but have lots of small bones and thus are best served as fish cakes. I also agree that closing the shipping canal in Chicago would be a very good idea.

Edited by Snidley

5 hours ago, Snidley said:

Chinese people like them so much the have been fished out in many places in China. I say put a big effort into commercial fishing these critters. There was a commercial fishing derby on these things a few years ago and the winner netted over 30,000lbs in 2 days of fishing. The fish is a plankton feeder so it is probably one of the lowest contamination  fish available from the Mississipi watershed. I'm told they  taste very similar to walleye but have lots of small bones and thus are best served as fish cakes. I also agree that closing the shipping canal in Chicago would be a very good idea.

83,000 pounds in 2 days in this one, winning team had like 28,000 pounds!

There needs to be a market for these fish - somehow start getting people to eat them - they are probably healthy to eat but like so many other things people got to start recognizing the food value of these fish - if that would happen then they could turn out to be an asset and not a bad thing - good protein - people won't starve with these fish in the water

Would love to see the commercial aspect of these fish increased. Yes, I saw a show on some plant making fish patties/cakes and marketing them in certain countries. I think many would go crazy over a smoked line of these fish, the carp that I have smoked in the past have been great.

It's amazing how some bodies of waters or species can be fished out, but when we need it to happen, it doesn't.

You wanna clean them out of areas quick, put up $100,000 and say the person who catches the most wins. 

Catch and kill fishing tournaments could clean these up pretty quick.

they did this in lake athapapskow in Manitoba.the burbot population was beginning to overrun the lake so they started an annual burbot derby where prizes were awarded for biggest and most caught. After years of them cleaning the burbot out of the lake the Walleye, laketrout, pike and perch fishery has recovered.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/14/2019 at 12:28 AM, OhioFisherman said:

" Ingredients: 

Tried that one time (fish guts) came out the next morning and my garden was all dug up. ?

• Haha 1

Cliff, my grandmother and grandfather lived upstairs from us in a two family home when I was growing up. I can't recall gramps ever going fishing with my dad, but he was always there to help with the fish cleaning, and us kids got to dig the holes for the guts next to his rose bushes! He had some nice ones!

LOL, my neighbor on one side used to get like 50 chicks every spring and like 8 weeks later butcher them all and freeze them. They should have buried those parts a lot deeper! Our dog would try to get in the house carrying a chicken leg he dug up! He searched for "treasures" a lot!

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 7:43 AM, floater said:

I buried salmon guts and bones under my weed plants and they grew into bushes!! And didn't taste fishy!!

soooo much doin this!!:P...Heard its the best fertilizer! (Indians used it!)