Ice out brookies - Zone 18

RoyL

I moved to Zone 18 from the Oshawa area about 12 years ago. Been doing mostly bass fishing since then, but every year I have it on my list to find a place to go after some early season Brook Trout action (as an alternative to ice-out crappie). Haven't gotten around to it yet, because I haven't had the time to explore various lakes.

Anybody have any info to share? Won't need much in the way of water access. I have a 16' canoe that I have to build a motor mount for in the next couple of weeks to mount a 2hp Honda 4-stroke I picked up last year  (another project that's overdue).

I'm presuming I'll be looking for lakes north of Highway 7 between Kaladar and Perth (I am 25 km south of Sharbot Lake).

Get yourself a copy of the zone 18 stocking lists. Look through the brook trout stocked lakes,and pick one that you can access. They all have fish, its just a matte of which ones you can get to. 

Have a look here: 

https://www.ofah.org/zonef/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Bancroft-Mazinaw-Area-Fish-Stocking-List-2015-18.pdf

If you have an ATV, even better, but a lot of these lakes a 4x4 truck will get you to with no problems. 

S.