Power auger head advice

gone_fishin

Milwaukee all the way, actually thinking about getting the 12AH High output battery for next year. Those brushless motors work great and even with 28" of ice she bores right through.

Rob C

47 minutes ago, Rob said:

Milwaukee all the way, actually thinking about getting the 12AH High output battery for next year. Those brushless motors work great and even with 28" of ice she bores right through.

Rob C

Milwaukee all the way. YUP

Those brushless motors work great and even with 28" of ice.  YUP

Drills 6" white fish holes YUP

:Gonefishing:

Edited by misfish

On 3/12/2019 at 9:41 AM, AKRISONER said:

Heavily considering going the drill route especially because my rigid has a lifetime warranty. Do they still punch 8 inch holes?

Last week on Simcoe I used my 5 year old Ridgid with 6" fin bore III using original blades to drill over 20 holes through 20"+ ice without switching batteries. Milwaukee drills are nice, but definitely not a requirement and neither are brushless drills. Unless you're using some dollar store drill, smoke or a burnt out drill means you need to work on technique. 

I modded the Clam adapter to hold a modified spark plug socket, which stays attached and slides into the auger drill, so I can use the drill to install and remove my ice anchors quickly. The gas units are too heavy for this kinda thing. 

As for a gas unit not running properly, replacing the gas lines and spark plug and adjusting the carb usually solves the issue on newer units. It seems many new small engine have gas lines that dry and crack very quickly and most are running too lean to meet emissions.  

The gas powerhead you were using which overheated, was it being fed the right mix of gas/oil? I'd think yours was running too lean if it overheated as you should be able to hold the throttle wide open while burning through multiple tanks of fuel without it overheating. Just think of how many 2 stroke weed eaters, chainsaws and quick cut saws are run at full throttle for hours and hours all season without overheating...

3 hours ago, ch312 said:

Last week on Simcoe I used my 5 year old Ridgid with 6" fin bore III using original blades to drill over 20 holes through 20"+ ice without switching batteries. Milwaukee drills are nice, but definitely not a requirement and neither are brushless drills. Unless you're using some dollar store drill, smoke or a burnt out drill means you need to work on technique. 

I modded the Clam adapter to hold a modified spark plug socket, which stays attached and slides into the auger drill, so I can use the drill to install and remove my ice anchors quickly. The gas units are too heavy for this kinda thing. 

There is a HUGE difference between making a 6 inch hole and an 8 inch hole in terms of how much power is used on a drill!

3 hours ago, ch312 said:

As for a gas unit not running properly, replacing the gas lines and spark plug and adjusting the carb usually solves the issue on newer units. It seems many new small engine have gas lines that dry and crack very quickly and most are running too lean to meet emissions.  

The gas powerhead you were using which overheated, was it being fed the right mix of gas/oil? I'd think yours was running too lean if it overheated as you should be able to hold the throttle wide open while burning through multiple tanks of fuel without it overheating. Just think of how many 2 stroke weed eaters, chainsaws and quick cut saws are run at full throttle for hours and hours all season without overheating...

There is nothing wrong with the gas lines... those have already been replaced. the air leak is past the gas lines. I can not get the gas lines primed because of the air leak. the spark plug and carb are fine.

also the gas power head did not overheat.

This year I ran a Milwaukee Fuel Brushless (hi-torque hammer drill) with a 5ah battery and an 8 inch swede bore. 25 holes (20" of ice) no issues with about half power left. You can run cheaper options but they will most likely not last.

Plus the drill and battery are used in the summer as well. 

Unless you need a 10" hole or are are in an area where you get an obscene amount of ice this type of setup is probably your best bet.

But gassers defiantly have their time and place. 

22 minutes ago, BassMan11 said:

This year I ran a Milwaukee Fuel Brushless (hi-torque hammer drill) with a 5ah battery and an 8 inch swede bore. 25 holes (20" of ice) no issues with about half power left. You can run cheaper options but they will most likely not last.

Plus the drill and battery are used in the summer as well. 

Unless you need a 10" hole or are are in an area where you get an obscene amount of ice this type of setup is probably your best bet.

But gassers defiantly have their time and place. 

I'm definitely leaning toward this route. I'll save my DeWalt's life and just use it for the household tasks. I love this drill, but it's just not built to cut 8" holes into black ice.

On 3/12/2019 at 6:03 PM, DRIFTER_016 said:

Even through 64" of ice with a 10"?  :whistling:

25157911_2253855554640771_40168953951213

For a guy that's desperately waiting for ice-out, 64 inches of ice is just ...obscene!

On 3/14/2019 at 11:16 AM, ch312 said:

The thing literally just came back from teh shop, new carb, new plugs, new oil.

It overheated...and its a 4 stroke....