Stranded ice fishermen on Erie

lew

It happened a few years back west of Buffalo. Luckily the floe came up against ice in The Niagara River and the guys were rescued. Same time of year as well. We fished the upper Niagara a many times in an old boat my Uncle had and I always wanted to know how close we were to the "GO BACK"' zone. Too close for my comfort many times in LaSalle NY. Warm temperatures, high winds and steady rain is the killer when it comes to safe ice. A week ago Erie was frozen to the horizon, this morning there is open water about 500 yards out. We fishermen can be nuts when it comes to our safety. The question comes up again. Who should pay for the rescue? 

8 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Who should pay for the rescue? 

More than likely the rescue will be performed by on-duty emergency crews who are already being paid whether they're rescuing somebody who got in trouble or sitting around twiddling their thumbs.

That's what they're there for.

• Like 3

Or cooking! Man those fire guys can buy the best stuff. I see them all of the time. Grande Cheese or Fortinos in Woodbridge.

Lew, years ago I was in a grocery store and two of York Region Fire were shopping and one said to the other, What peanut butter shall we get? I was so close and know the ad business, “the one with the peanut on top” smiles all round. 

glad they were rescued, but there was guy with a phone taking picture for what, how close you came

Be safe no fish is worth a life.

46 minutes ago, ketchenany said:

Must be the currents out of St Clair that break it up. 

Catawba is basically right on shore across from a couple of the Erie islands, so it does get necked down there a bit ketch, but  our weather is probably a bigger factor. We have had some pretty serious rain over the last couple of weeks that had some serious wind along with it, that with a few rivers not too far upstream on the lake?

That area has had events like that as long as I have been alive. A couple of the best known spawning rivers are in that area and it's probably a staging area for pre spawn fish which makes it a much more popular area? It's really been too warm here for safe ice, I am just guessing but with the rain all of our rivers are probably washed free of ice.

On 3/10/2019 at 5:29 PM, lew said:

More than likely the rescue will be performed by on-duty emergency crews who are already being paid whether they're rescuing somebody who got in trouble or sitting around twiddling their thumbs.

That's what they're there for.

Word!

• Like 1

On 3/10/2019 at 7:39 PM, ketchenany said:

Or cooking! Man those fire guys can buy the best stuff. I see them all of the time. Grande Cheese or Fortinos in Woodbridge.

Lew, years ago I was in a grocery store and two of York Region Fire were shopping and one said to the other, What peanut butter shall we get? I was so close and know the ad business, “the one with the peanut on top” smiles all round. 

They also are known to slip in the Home Depot at times too.  Another gem from North York Fire!:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/hot-pursuit-nabs-hoser-in-fire-truck/article18158892/

Couple things seem strange about the story of the stolen fire truck

Firefighters go into stores all the time so nothing unusual about that, but one person is always left with the truck so it seems odd that the truck was left unattended.

I drove fire trucks in Toronto for many years and the only one I ever drove that required pushing buttons in sequence was an old 1960 King Seagrave aerial and even that wasn't hard to figure out. Any other truck I ever drove was started  just like any diesel.

It also says the truck was purchased 7 years ago for $40,000 and that also seems odd as fire trucks are hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Just a few odd ball things that I noticed.

1 hour ago, lew said:

Firefighters go into stores all the time so nothing unusual about that, but one person is always left with the truck so it seems odd that the truck was left unattended.

I drove fire trucks in Toronto for many years and the only one I ever drove that required pushing buttons in sequence was an old 1960 King Seagrave aerial and even that wasn't hard to figure out. Any other truck I ever drove was started  just like any diesel.

It also says the truck was purchased 7 years ago for $40,000 and that also seems odd as fire trucks are hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Can't speak to all the technicalities but this was back in 2006 and was all over the news at the time, the Globe & Mail article is just the first one to pop up on google.  Anyway Lew, the post wasn't meant to disparage our first responders in any way,  it's just kind of a funny story.  

Sorry for the hijack OP. 

10 minutes ago, G.mech said:

Can't speak to all the technicalities but this was back in 2006 and was all over the news at the time, the Globe & Mail article is just the first one to pop up on google.  Anyway Lew, the post wasn't meant to disparage our first responders in any way,  it's just kind of a funny story.  

Sorry for the hijack OP. 

Nuthin to worry about Bud, I knew you weren't taking a shot at anyone, it was just a few things that jumped out at me LOL

1 hour ago, lew said:

Lew, I am guessing they missed a zero in that price guess? Bare bones single axle city tractors at fleet prices were more than 40 k when I retired 16 years ago.

25 minutes ago, OhioFisherman said:

Bare bones single axle city tractors at fleet prices were more than 40 k when I retired 16 years ago.

Amazing how times change Paul, today we pay far more than that for a pick-up and it's considered normal LOL

• Like 1