NF - Low Voltage Wifi dimmer install

Raycaster

Waiting for the ice to melt (non ice fisherman) I have been tackling lots of home projects and currently building a cabinet wall in a TV room. Since Christmas gifts of google homes I have slowly been switching outlets and switches to wifi. The cost suks but its enjoyable and besides too shallow outlet boxes its pretty easy.

My question involves using wifi dimmers for puck leds I will be using in the built cabinet walls shelfs. They are low voltage with inline dimmers that I was just going to chop and rewire for wifi wall switches. I was thinking of having the dimmer control the 12-24v supplied to the pucks but I may need to control the 120v before the cheap 120v - 12v adapter. I may have to experiment as the electronics may regulate voltage etc.

Anyone else tried this?

I have included the room I dimensioned and rendered in Sketchup. Simple design but I always render first for a visual to spot size problems.

IMG_1936.JPG

Edited by Raycaster
Changed Image

Its called Sketchup and has a billion tutorials on youtube to get up and running.

Its great for furniture - cabinet design - anything. I'm proficient with highend 3D software (Modo/AutoCad/SolidWorks) but for quick visual designs its perfect. Its perfect for visualizing space and sizes. Designing on paper is great but seeing how it fits in a small room or how a new steering console fits on the deck of a small boat etc. its great. I used it to design a retro fit for my pontoon boat trailer. A great thing is that you don't need to design alot of stuff from scratch as most 3d object are available online. All the decor in the above pic was just downloaded in to look nice. Companies provide for free realistic 3D objects of their products (dishwashers/furniture/appliances) so you can visualize in your kitchen designs.. Cabinets of all sizes are already done but I usually make from scratch to save money but bu looking at the commercial cabinets you can make your own cut lists/patterns.

There is a free version plus trial versions plus student versions etc. Yes an average non-geek will need a few days of playing around with it but after a few tutorials you will be a rock star. PM me if you need any help. I've included a design of my mother-in-laws kitchen and the mess of the room before the wall cabinet (hence the need to visualize space).

IMG_0653.JPG

boatstuff2.jpg

20190309_092701.jpg

Edited by Raycaster
add image

That's a beautiful wall unit you have there. I have one similar but I got it before I bought the new big screen. It just fits with an inch to spare. Now you are going to go out and buy a new big screen to fill the space. I think I know what you are talking about as far as the lighting. How wifi is associated with it beats me. I've come to the point in life that technology is advancing faster than I can learn it. That's what I have young grand children of friends and nieces and nephews for. They will work for food and a boat ride. And to think I used to install 8 track car stereos, some with 4 speakers even, Quadriphonic's was a big deal then, and whole house entertainment systems. Now my car stereo pre sets are all on AM Talk Radio channels except for a few FM oldies stations. Even the car with Sirius Sat. I have Talk Radio presets from the NFL, NRB to CNN live. Drives my wife bonkers when she gets in her car. 

I agree its a "1st world problem" and a luxury and kinda silly telling Google to turn the lights on and off but its fun...

The wifi aspect is just the automation function of controlling switches and lights by scheduals, vocal commands or logic scripts.

Wifi control is kind of frivolous but some items are practical. Having your smoke detector text you at work due to smoke would be practical. Having a cheap $50 outside camera monitoring your cottage would be sensible. Having a water sensor text you to prevent basement flooding is practical.The cost of these sensors are getting very cheap and present the thought "why not"?

Walking into my den and saying "ok google hockey time" automatically does this:

Turns on Cable box, turns on stereo, turns on tv, sets all inputs correctly.

Dims main lights and puck leds. 

Yes, kinda silly but fun.

Are you using wifi or Zigbee/ZWave?  I've got a Samsung SmartThings hub which I've configured with all kinds of things.  Dimmers, lights, motion sensors, water sensors, garage doors, etc etc.   Wire the dimmer like you would and let the 12-24v voltage regulator take care of the LEDs.  I've got the same setup for my under cabinet lights in the kitchen, works fine.  

Perfect. I have been using Lutron switches in the house (bridgeless) .I wasn't sure if the dimmer resistance would scale properly with the puck leds.

Thanks.

I have to rethink the wiring though I thought I was smart and just wired low voltage wires to my switches. Now I may go with wall plug dimmers in the cabinets.

Had to punch holes in drywall and patch to wire, might have to repeat with 14/2..

image.jpg

I get it now, thanks. I'll be turning the lights on the old fashion way. Same with TV and stereo. I love having 6 controllers next to my recliner. I have a drawer full of them and don't know which one works with what. We don't even have Data Usage on the not so smart phones. I can wait until I get home if I need a computer. I'm told I am a weirdo because I use the phone to talk to people, I refuse to text. Car radios still broadcast the local weather reports, on both AM and FM. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I get it now, thanks. I'll be turning the lights on the old fashion way. Same with TV and stereo. I love having 6 controllers next to my recliner. I have a drawer full of them and don't know which one works with what. We don't even have Data Usage on the not so smart phones. I can wait until I get home if I need a computer. I'm told I am a weirdo because I use the phone to talk to people, I refuse to text. Car radios still broadcast the local weather reports, on both AM and FM. 

Thanks my Italian brother. I have a phone at $10 a month and never use it unless someone calls me and only when it rings I the car on speaker mode. The window is 73 minutes a day and only If I’m running late. only my wife has the number!!! Only one caller.

AI I started culling old technology this week. Sold my Funk and Wagnalls books dumping a  20” TV and a MAC G4 tomorrow.

Wife asked why do you need all of those wires and rotery phones? I have phone we purchased from Bell. Selling for $75. . . 

I have wooden type from the 1900s worth a small fortune to the right interior designer! hard to let it go.

Funny part they are always asking to donate stuff. We called and were refused “you don’t have enough for us to pick up”  I guess better in the landfill.

when I grew up stuff was passed around.

SORRY!

2 hours ago, ketchenany said:

Thanks my Italian brother. I have a phone at $10 a month and never use it unless someone calls me and only when it rings I the car on speaker mode. The window is 73 minutes a day and only If I’m running late. only my wife has the number!!! Only one caller.

AI I started culling old technology this week. Sold my Funk and Wagnalls books dumping a  20” TV and a MAC G4 tomorrow.

Wife asked why do you need all of those wires and rotery phones? I have phone we purchased from Bell. Selling for $75. . . 

I have wooden type from the 1900s worth a small fortune to the right interior designer! hard to let it go.

Funny part they are always asking to donate stuff. We called and were refused “you don’t have enough for us to pick up”  I guess better in the landfill.

when I grew up stuff was passed around.

SORRY!

We must share some DNA. My father collected old phones amongst other things not because he was interested in the things, you just don't throw anything away, ever. He had a 12" diameter ball of string, I swear. Dozens of KFC bags all neatly bundled in twine, a box of assorted nails that were straitened out by hand. When we moved them into their retirement residence I scooped all his phones and actually had an old rotary phone that is 60's  turquoise until we dumped the land line. We kept him away from the house we grew up in as we filled a large dumpster full of stuff, he would cry if he saw what we had to toss. The Sally Ann wanted us to deliver it all to them.

I bet more than a few here will have to Google Funk and Wagnall's.  

We tossed a few hundred pounds of dictionary's when we cleaned out the house. Google then was to look up what we needed to know all through grade and high school. Mom was a hard headed American slash Calabrese, what a combo. If the answer in the Encyclopedia Britannica wasn't what she said the answer was the book was wrong. Then when the grand kids showed her Google, Google answers as well were wrong. She was most likely right. 

I found an old Galazatier that showed maps of countries pre 1st World War, it was my Great Grand Fathers who was still alive when I was a kid. Not many can say they knew their Great Grand Parents, I was blessed to know them. My Great Grand Father scared the bejeezus out of me. It is priceless to me. My Noni gave me the galazatier that my Nono went through with me before Kindergarten for hours at a time that was pre WW2. I could draw a map of North America and most states and all the provinces before I got to grade school. Some of Europe and Asia too. My teachers thought I was a geographical savant in grade 2. Nope, just taught early and well. Now my 5 year old great niece can draw the galaxy and the constellations. 

Get this. My great grandfather and my grand father were best friends. My Nono was 32 when he married my Noni, she was 16, maybe. Today he would be sent to prison. They were married for 50 years and had 7 kids. 

What was this thread about again? Tech stuff. Books are techie too, no? 

Edited by Old Ironmaker