Kingston area eastern Lake Ontario salmon/trout fishing

RoyL

I used to run 27' boat out of Whitby trolling for Lake Ontario salmon and rainbow trout each summer, and I have been missing it.

I moved just north of Kingston a dozen years ago and have concentrated on back lakes bass since then. When I was in Whitby, I could tell you exactly what week the salmon would appear, in what locations and at what depth the best fishing would be. Seldom got skunked if the fish were around.

I am thinking of upgrading my 14' tin boat to something that could handle minor excursions on to the big lake or the river around Wolfe Island and I am looking for the same kind of information for this area that I could have provided around the Scarborough to Bowmanville area 10 years ago. For example, I know guys will say "head out the Main Duck Islands in June", but that's out of the question - I won't be looking for a boat that can handle that.

Do the salmon and rainbows (Steelhead, but I only call them that when they head upriver) frequent more sheltered waters? For example, off Bath? off Waupoos? Do they head into the Bay of Quinte off Adolphustown? If so, when?

We used to track the counterclockwise movement around the lake to know when they would be off Whitby. One of the key bits of information was when they appeared off Wellington -- usually late May, early June. They'd be in Whitby two weeks later, initially down 15' in 30' of water.

Would love to start a conversation about boat fishing at this end of the lake. So far all I see on the board is shore fishing , and musky fishing off Gan.

Roy

To the best of my knowledge they go there from the Niagara area in early season.  I would say around May would be best. There have been several shows on Sportsman Channel recently reguarding the eastern basin of Lake O and salmon were shown as a possibility by the guides featured. The when and where I can't say for sure but check Bob Izumi's site and Angler and Hunter TV's site as they were the shows that had eastern Lake Ontario featured last week. These shows should direct you to the guides involved and I'm sure they can help..

@Snidley

This is the kind of fishing I was used to out of Whitby (that's where this episode was shot).

http://www.ahtv.com/2018/episode-9-lake-ontario-tyee/

@BillM

That's a great post. Exactly the kind of discussion I was looking for. Too bad it's 14 years old.

The problem with fishing both Main Duck Island and Wellington is that during the summer, "fair weather" winds on Lake Ontario are typically from the southwest. Cooler, high pressure days might be from the northwest, but the balmy summer days are typically southwest winds. That gives the wind 250 km of open water from Hamilton to Main Duck (210 km to Wellington) to pile up the waves. Even 10 knot winds can pile up uncomfortable 4-6 foot waves in that distance. 

That's what makes the sheltered areas so attractive - Prince Edward Bay (off Waupoos), The North Channel (north shore of Amherst Island), Adolphus Reach, Long Reach (leading into the Bay of Quinte).

I guess I'll just have to upgrade the boat and start hanging out with other boaters in these areas. It was a lot easier when sharing a dock with 40 other salmon fishing boats in Whitby! It was "come have a beer (and tell me where the fish are!)"

The good thing is that Wellington is only a 100km drive from my place, so we can try for nice calm days, and if we find it's too rough when we get there, it's only about 30km across the County to Waupoos. If Wellington is rough because of southwest winds, Waupoos is guaranteed to be sheltered.

13 minutes ago, dave524 said:

Has to be some down that end of the lake in fall, been a quite a few years but I recall a kazillion fish running the Salmon River at Pulaski when we used to make a trip that way river fishing.

Pulaski gets a crapload of fish in the fall.  Definitely a place I'd be fishing if I was in the OPs shoes.

33 minutes ago, BillM said:

Pulaski gets a crapload of fish in the fall.  Definitely a place I'd be fishing if I was in the OPs shoes.

Yes, except that's in the US in the southeast corner of the lake. The question is about fishing with a boat in the northeast corner of the lake. No question that the southeast corner (Mexico Bay) gets some of the hottest (and earliest in the season) fishing, 

If you look at a map of Lake Ontario, with the idea that the Salmon migration is a counter-clockwise route around the lake, starting at NIagara, you can see that Mexico Bay is is where they turn north and that Main Duck Island is about where they are turning west, heading past the south shore of Prince Edward County and past Wellington. The real question is: how many of them drift north into the more sheltered waters of Prince Edward Bay and points north?

Edited by RoyL
east to west change

If I had to guess, I'd say not many.  Not much for spawning water up there.  I'm sure you could have your fill of lake trout however.   Only way to really find out is get out there and wet some lines.  Goodluck!

The Salmon migration on Ontario sounds very similar to the Walleye migration on Erie. Counter clockwise from the Detroit in Spring and back west along the North shore in Fall. We spent many days fishing Quinte for Walleye. The only thing stopping us from catching fish was the wind. It was normal to miss 3 days of the week because our little 14' tinny's were not safe out there. There are days not even lake freighters are even safe on the Great Lakes. Be careful. Never fished the main lake for salmon but knew plenty of Salmon hunters that did travel there in the summer all the way from Niagara.  I would love to hook you up with them but most are not online that are still alive today. Good luck to you. 

From Collins Bay Creek to the Trent River and all flows in between receive steelhead and salmon; however,  the runs are small in comparison to the flows directly into the main body of Lake O.  I come across folks who catch them in adjacent water to the Lake but they are incidental catches.

I spend hundreds of hours a year out there, the laker fishing is good just about anywhere. The in close fishing for salmon and trout is poor at best...i could count on 2 hands the times i had incedental catches. The guys that catch the trout/salmon are way out,probably beyond the boat capabilities you said you were looking to purchase. As an x Bowmanville fisher it always puzzled me the lack of those fish here. I would be happy to take you laker fishing

@Yellow Fever

Thanks for the info and the generous offer!

I'd love to try some ice-out laker fishing on light tackle -- maybe around Wolfe Island? I am not a great fan of lakers on downrigger tackle suitable for salmon. Even 20 lb'ers come up like a wet boot when you are used to Salmon peeling off 200 yards of line with a screaming drag or the aerobatics of Rainbows in mid-lake on a flat calm day.

Maybe we could arrange a two-boat excursion, 'cause I'll be bringing my 30 year old son. Right now I'm working with a wide/deep 14' with a 25hp tiller that I'm looking to upgrade -  either the motor (newer, not more hp) or the whole rig. Then I intend adding a 17-19' "lake boat" that will be suitable for Wolfe Island, Thousand Islands excursions for the wife and rigged with downriggers for Wellington / Waupoos / Hay Bay/ Main Duck  (if we get a perfect day). 

Its been my experience that the better fishing is off shore, trolling the 30 foot and deeper depths are key,  Fish the shorelines off Amherst and Wolfe islands. I could do a 2 boat trip no issue. As you know you can safely ( maybe not always comfortably ) fish in a smaller boat. This end of the lake is much windyer than the central part, 

Interesting post. We have a family cottage on Simcoe Island, just off the north eastern tip of Wolfe Island, and I recently upgraded my boat so that I can fish a bit bigger water. I'm mainly a musky guy, but am definitely looking to find other species to target before the fall trolling season. I am interested in ice out/early season lake trout flat line trolling. 

It's great to see the beginnings of an "Eastern Ontario Contingent" forming on this forum!

I haven't done it before, but from everything I have learned and read over the years, the western bays of Wolfe Island (Reed's Bay and Big Sandy Bay) would be my target spot after ice out, flat lining in 6-12' of water. That should be the first water to warm up, attracting the minnows and the lakers should be in there chasing the minnows. Since you are allowed 2 lines per angler in that zone, try some very small lures too and you might pick up some monster crappy.

Typical ice-out date for this area is around April 12-15. It may be later this year because I'll bet the ice out there is thicker than normal. I'd guess the last week of April and the first week or two of May would be best.

As far as other fishing around Wolfe and Simcoe Island, that's still prime small mouth bass territory. In the early 70's I shared shifts driving a cab with a fellow who took the summer off and guided out of the Wolfe Island Hotel with a 25' cabin cruiser. He would show me pictures where he took 5  fishermen out and they all limited out (6 each) on 5+ lb fish! Apparently jigging off rocky bottoms in 15-25' of water works all summer. I'm sure the fishing pressure has increased since then, but I'd still expect a lot of fish in the 2-3lb class. Use light rods with 8-12lb test line and you will have a blast.

Very interesting thread guys! Having moved to eastern ontario several years ago I've yet to be out on the big lake since i moved, i have all the gear just collecting dust :( are you guys looking at running down riggers, dipseys or flatlining? If there is ever a eastern Ontario meet and greet or a fishing gathering please post it here, would be great to meet some new members! Im located in Stirling on Oak Lake, and would be willing to drive a couple of hours from here if one is organized. Im following this thread with interest. 

G.

• 5 months later...
On 3/5/2019 at 4:10 PM, RoyL said:

I used to run 27' boat out of Whitby trolling for Lake Ontario salmon and rainbow trout each summer, and I have been missing it.

I moved just north of Kingston a dozen years ago and have concentrated on back lakes bass since then. When I was in Whitby, I could tell you exactly what week the salmon would appear, in what locations and at what depth the best fishing would be. Seldom got skunked if the fish were around.

I am thinking of upgrading my 14' tin boat to something that could handle minor excursions on to the big lake or the river around Wolfe Island and I am looking for the same kind of information for this area that I could have provided around the Scarborough to Bowmanville area 10 years ago. For example, I know guys will say "head out the Main Duck Islands in June", but that's out of the question - I won't be looking for a boat that can handle that.

Do the salmon and rainbows (Steelhead, but I only call them that when they head upriver) frequent more sheltered waters? For example, off Bath? off Waupoos? Do they head into the Bay of Quinte off Adolphustown? If so, when?

We used to track the counterclockwise movement around the lake to know when they would be off Whitby. One of the key bits of information was when they appeared off Wellington -- usually late May, early June. They'd be in Whitby two weeks later, initially down 15' in 30' of water.

Would love to start a conversation about boat fishing at this end of the lake. So far all I see on the board is shore fishing , and musky fishing off Gan.

Roy

Kingston and area has plenty of big fish around collinsbay area. Collinsbay boat launch, troll 1to 2 km perhour.  Troll Southwest 40 ft to deeper, troll southwest till about 65ft then back again. You will catch Lakers, brownz, pickerl, Pike. The bait is the most important part. Using that with a proper trolling speed. You will catch fish like this all day.

bigbass.PNG

Edited by Plevnawarrior