Reeds huts on Nippising report. Finally got out

With my knee surgery back in December I knew I would probably only be getting out twice this year. The overnight Reeds hut rental on Nippising has been a tradition for 3 years for us. We always look forward to it and Melissa and Dan are top notch. The fishing has been hit or miss the last few years but not this year. 

It’s so funny too because this year Dan said the fishing was slow. First night we landed 13 perch and a 2 walleye and thought we were doing pretty well. (Both walleye were below slot size). The next morning the fish were bonkers. It’s like we could do anything  and the fish were biting. The highlight was in the middle of a flurry of fish my (soon to be) wife hooks up with one, reels it half way in and it starts running. I’m thinking (that’s not a perch) a little bit of a fight later and she brings in a really nice whitefish. 

Final tally was 36 perch. 3 walleye and a whitefish. Can’t wait to go back next year. 

3418C09D-9F52-467D-AC30-94FA13267A99.jpeg

95E62ECA-BA49-4460-9F2A-4372923964C3.png

8D19F3EE-96A6-4EDE-B60B-1E946A788132.jpeg

A3DA4358-7B79-4952-8098-DD53FC0D61F6.jpeg

AFA845E5-744C-4062-A571-1E9FFE1BC87D.jpeg

728DEB06-00D9-4E12-AE24-A5ACDFCF5E0C.jpeg

556648E2-4E25-404D-8FF3-15CC5E1321A3.jpeg

9E4B3779-7A6A-42D0-97C4-049B449DA0E6.jpeg

43C0C65D-5955-4D40-973B-70F350DC1562.jpeg

D3864F5D-C9CB-4B35-BFE1-8DB27A82FC39.jpeg

4D4E71CC-65DB-4C92-BC68-000017CD6CC3.jpeg

• Like 1

Also I think when we get married in May i’m Going to have to put in my vows 

‘And I vow not to try and change your mind when you want to use a certain fishing lure’ 

when we got there I told her to pick the lure she wanted. She picked a large vibrato and I said ‘that may be kinda big’ so she picked a mepps that was white and red. I remember thinking she Probnaly won’t catch much on that. 

She ended up outfishing all of us by quite a lot. Shows what I know. 

1 hour ago, misfish said:

Atleast someone can catch one. LOL

Glad you got out buddy.

After she caught this fish I jokingly cried to my mom ‘between the two of you i’m Never going to catch any fish ever again’ 

the photo with my wife and I with the perch shows pretty much how the weekend went. 

4 hours ago, oldphart said:

~~~Nice whitie, and she caught still wearing her PJs

3 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

looks like some really relaxing fishing. Everyone wearing PJ's sitting on a comfy chair catching fish. If only it were always that easy.

I don't think her or my mom would come if they couldn't fish in their PJ's (that being said they do well when we do non-hut ice fishing). I think one of the highlights everyone looks forward to every year is the annual 'Fish from bed' morning. We wake up, roll over and throw the line down the hole while still half asleep. 

Akri, as you said, its not always that easy but when it is, its a treat.

Now that's what I call "Family Time" Sure beats sitting around a dinner table discussing politics. That is one fantastic keeper you have there, your future wife. If you tell me she is bringing her own boat into the Marriage I am going to lose it. Way to go.

That wouldn't be Dan Donovan by chance? I knew Dan when he was a little tyke. 

17 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Now that's what I call "Family Time" Sure beats sitting around a dinner table discussing politics. That is one fantastic keeper you have there, your future wife. If you tell me she is bringing her own boat into the Marriage I am going to lose it. Way to go.

That wouldn't be Dan Donovan by chance? I knew Dan when he was a little tyke. 

Thanks Ironmaker. I was saying a few days ago, I'm so lucky. How many people get to go ice fishing with their grandfather at the age of 34? Sadly she doesn't have a boat to bring in as a 'dowry' but she loves using mine for a day of fishing or back country camping. Typical story. Used to fish and visit family in Timmins all the time when she was younger, then the grind of the city took the girl out of the country. Soon as we started fishing and camping she said 'Oh! I forgot how much I love this!' 

Its Dan Reed. Him and his wife Melissa have been running those huts for........I think 7 seasons now? Someone told me they bought them from....... I think it was Grumpies before? (someone help me out on this one). Great people. Young couple too. Probably only a few years older then me.

Glad that you finally got out man!  Lots of help loading things, so you can take it easy on the leg! 

I know we didn't get out at all this winter.  But maybe we can set something of for a little fishing from the boat this summer! 

2 hours ago, NAW said:

Glad that you finally got out man!  Lots of help loading things, so you can take it easy on the leg! 

I know we didn't get out at all this winter.  But maybe we can set something of for a little fishing from the boat this summer! 

Thanks bud. I’d like that. Sara and I were saying Stucco in Tweed the week before the crappie derby to slay some slabs. Either that or we are both open. Shoot me a text soon and we’ll plan something. 

7 hours ago, chris.brock said:

Looks like a fun time was had by all!

I haven't tried an overnighter bungalow yet but it looks like a blast

You'd love it bud, specially on a weekday. I think around 6pm it was just us and the stars. No city light pollution. No noise. Its always a special trip and for us it breaks up the winter.

6 hours ago, Chuck Enwinde said:

I'd say 90% of the "whitefish" I see from Nip are actually very large herring.  She did good to get an actual whitey.  I've been out with Reed's about 15 times and I've never got one - though I did see a big school of them on the camera one time.  

For sure! I've seen JoeyTier pull out herring I thought for sure were whitefish out of Nippising just due to the sheer size. They grow to monsterous sizes there. I had to double check the regs just incase I ID'ed it wrong. (Grandfather likes pickled herring too so if we were in our limit that fish was coming home regardless of species). That being said too, this whitefish was caught in under 20 FOW. I was pretty surprised.

Edited by jerpears1

On 3/5/2019 at 2:44 PM, Old Ironmaker said:

Yep Jeapers you have a keeper there. The Dan I knew ran Bear Creek Cottages after his Mom and Dad retired. I hear they have sold it. My former in laws place was close to Bear Creek Cottages. I miss the place, a near north paradise. 

Oh I know who you mean; I started going there back in the early 70s.  Dick Donovan (Dan's dad) was in charge (owner) of Bear Creek Cottages then. Dan took over mid too late 80s or 90s; can't remember. He and his wife Ronda were great hosts; cottages were clean, well equipped and large enough to hold our group of 20 plus people.  Huts were always preheated in the mornings; with lots of split wood to feed the stove. Bait was never an issue; Dan would stop in every couple of hours to check on us. The last time we went up, something changed; Ronda was nowhere as sociable as in the past. Dan only did what he had to; being very distant? Almost made us feel unwelcome? Was it financial problems or were they just burnt out looking after their guests? It sure was a shame to see and feel this from them; but crap happens. Hope things are well with them now. I haven't been back since the new owners took over; but from what I've read; sounds like Bear Creek Cottages are back and doing well?

OP.

That is a nice whitey your wife got. I'm still searching for my first. Fished less then 10 feet away from a buddy; using the same bait. He gets a decent whitey and I get a skunk? LOL

Dan.  

4 hours ago, DanD said:

Oh I know who you mean; I started going there back in the early 70s.  Dick Donovan (Dan's dad) was in charge (owner) of Bear Creek Cottages then. Dan took over mid too late 80s or 90s; can't remember. He and his wife Ronda were great hosts; cottages were clean, well equipped and large enough to hold our group of 20 plus people.  Huts were always preheated in the mornings; with lots of split wood to feed the stove. Bait was never an issue; Dan would stop in every couple of hours to check on us. The last time we went up, something changed; Ronda was nowhere as sociable as in the past. Dan only did what he had to; being very distant? Almost made us feel unwelcome? Was it financial problems or were they just burnt out looking after their guests? It sure was a shame to see and feel this from them; but crap happens. Hope things are well with them now. I haven't been back since the new owners took over; but from what I've read; sounds like Bear Creek Cottages are back and doing well?

OP.

That is a nice whitey your wife got. I'm still searching for my first. Fished less then 10 feet away from a buddy; using the same bait. He gets a decent whitey and I get a skunk? LOL

Dan.  

Yes it was Dick and Donna Donovan back in the 70's and to the 90's for certain because we got divorced in 89'. That couldn't keep the boys and I from going back up. We went there a few winters in a row after Dan took over the reins. I've been to dozens of other spring, summer and winter operators including Nipp. Couldn't beat Bear Creek. Not only Dan would come out and check regularly he would check on the ribs in the oven and stir the pasta sauce for me. He was more than happy to do that because they didn't have to worry about making dinner. I always cook enough for a dozen guys even when there were 4 of us. I also heard the place wasn't what it was before they sold. I'm guessing financial/family issues. Many cottage operations got hit hard with the recession in the early 90's. There was a time they had a long waiting list because if we wanted to guarantee a hut we booked for the following year before we headed home. Once we didn't book ahead and ended up staying in the truck stop across from the Dionne quintuplets museum, the cottage was more than 1/2 the fun but closer to the Ballet in North Bay. It must have been tough when they sold for as I understand it that camp has been in the Family for 3 generations. 

Sorry for the side track OP. Heck someone reading this might consider Bear Creek in the future. I recommend the Rock Cottage. Back in the 70's it was like going back in time 100 years. It only had a wood burning stove to cook on. We didn't use the in-laws in winter as it was always put away for the winter, plus we might, more would break something doing our best WWF re enactments. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker