Fishing vs Golf

captpierre

Used to love playing golf with buddies. Was a junior member of the local course 10 minutes from my house. Played from the time I was about ten years old ti'll early 20's.  Found fishing in my mid teens though, and in no time golf took a backseat when given the choice between.

Nothing wrong with that sport though. It's a personal test enjoyed every time out.

LOL. Nice to see someone with a sense of humour. I'm in the same boat a bunk. Used to golf tons until right around the time we bought our cottage. Then slowly being at the cottage and fishing or just hanging out there became the norm. Still love the game....but the clubs haven't been out of the basement  for probably 10 years now.

I think that Golf is (scratch that, can be) harder then fishing. And for sure more frusterating. I found I get angry and frustrated more golfing then I ever do fishing. 

I dunno. I think it’s because with golf there is a perfection that no one can reach (18 holes in one in a round) but it’s like with running a race. You can be the best but you can always be better. 

When I go fishing if I catch or even hook into one I feel like i’m The best fisherman that ever lived. 

I always heard that "Golf" was for those who FAILED at Fishing....... 

I don't care how many times they make you hit that egg looking thing while playing golf, you still can't eat it when you get home, unlike fishing.

I wish more people would take up golf and not tie up the boat launches as most have no idea what they are doing there.

• Like 1

Golf'N'Fish 

2 Day  Package

*From $550.00 pp

Package includes a full day charter on Lake Muskoka, fishing for Pike, Walleye, Bass and Lake Trout. Pick up at the Gravenhurst Wharf Boston Pizza Dock. - 2018  Lund 21 foot

A golf day at the fabulous Muskoka Bay Club - 1/2 km from Gravenhurst Wharf. Includes 18 holes with golf cart, pre-booked tee times - rated top 10 best public course in Canada

Rates based on a group of 4 

1 nights Accomodations at Muskoka Bay Club  - reelpro

*Rates vary with season

At the best of times golf was a struggle for me. I haven't golfed in years and could care less.

Fishing for me is about the journey, not the destination. Fishing recharges my batteries. Quietly having a cup of dark roast and a piece of carrot cake while watching the sun rise over the Rideau River is no less important than the biggest bass of the day.  I'm easily distracted from fishing, oh look, an osprey, some loons, some otters, a dragon fly, the lady that does her gardening in her bikini. I enjoy a hot bite like everyone else, but still enjoy the day outside on a tough bite. 

I never wet a line in 2018 and that does bother me. Hopefully with these brand new hips things will improve in 2019.

It doesn't have to be one or the other as was pointed out. Many times I would take the boat out in the AM, get home, hopefully clean some nice fish then T off at 6PM for Men's Night. Up to when I broke my back a few years ago I was playing 70 to 80 rounds a year and doing plenty of fishing. As far as getting better Golfing as well as fishing, if I could hit the ball as far as I could 20 years ago and have the short game I had 5 years ago I might win more against good players. I was a 7 HC. It's funny fishing, the more one spends on equipment the luckier one gets. 

Most times when we went on a week long trip when we were working we would pick a place near a golf course. Especially fishing Quinte. Getting blown off the water was always a for sure at least 1 or 2 days. So we headed to the Picton Golf course. Usually the wind would die down after 4PM so we still had plenty of time for Walleye fishing, the best time on Quinte for Pics in my mind anyway. Some days we wouldn't even go out during the day for Hammer Handles so a few of us went Golfing. We golfed Pembroke G&CC when we had the camp on the Ottawa, a nice course with a great view over the water. Fishing and Golf go hand in hand, even if you stink at both. 

I have always compared golf to fishing when my non fishing friends ask about fishin.

"Can you go golfing with one club or fishing with one rod ? "

Well yeah, but it is way better with a variety of clubs/ rods

Every new golf course is like a new lake. You have to figure it out.

Does weather play a factor in your golf game? of course it does, just like fishing. wind, sun , rain ect.....

Do you do it because you enjoy being outside ? of course

Does it usually last all day away from your wife?...... yep !

Do you need to be in great shape and in top physical form ?.........

On 3/3/2019 at 11:29 AM, Mister G said:

I always heard that "Golf" was for those who FAILED at Fishing....... 

I don't care how many times they make you hit that egg looking thing while playing golf, you still can't eat it when you get home, unlike fishing.

I wish more people would take up golf and not tie up the boat launches as most have no idea what they are doing there.

That is unless you personally know the owner and all his ponds are stocked with Large Mouth, big Largies!!!! I could tell you where but then I might end up wearing cement golf shoes.

16 minutes ago, msp said:

I have always compared golf to fishing when my non fishing friends ask about fishin.

"Can you go golfing with one club or fishing with one rod ? "

Well yeah, but it is way better with a variety of clubs/ rods

Every new golf course is like a new lake. You have to figure it out.

Does weather play a factor in your golf game? of course it does, just like fishing. wind, sun , rain ect.....

Do you do it because you enjoy being outside ? of course

Does it usually last all day away from your wife?...... yep !Do you need to be in great shape and in top physical form ?.........

Very well said young man. When I started fishing it was for a few weeks a year at the in laws cottage on Nipp. I was 24 the 1st time fishing when I went to the cottage up north and the 1st time I was in a boat that didn't take 10 cents to ride in. They were Scots to boot so you know you had better learn to golf, and Golf well as a pre rec to Marriage. My FIL told me we had to talk alone as he had some life advice for me, oh my. He told me to open my stance on a down hill side hill lie. The Family was from Troon. From learning to enjoy the outdoors as a citiot golf drew me toward getting closer to Mother Nature at her finest, fishing. Where I grew up in Hamilton we had 2 types of birds, brown ones and black ones, 2 types of trees, the ones with leaves and the other ones. Back then one could walk across Hamilton Bay, in July. I have to tell you guys this, and it's funny to some. Out Golfing once I asked Mario "What kind of bird is that?" Which one he asks? "The black bird with red wings?" I swear to the Lord!

Edited by Old Ironmaker

19 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

That is unless you personally know the owner and all his ponds are stocked with Large Mouth, big Largies!!!! I could tell you where but then I might end up wearing cement golf shoes.

That's OK........ I have no desire to catch stinky green fish that taste like a old sock.

I enjoyed the game of golf. Started young and played up til I had my retina detachment. Playing young, I enjoyed the competition. Pushed myself to get better. As I got older and there was the best ball,drink some brews game, I found the game relaxing. LOL

During all those years of golf,I still fished just as much. 

So whats the point of this thread anyways ?

I know. Golf is way to much money these days. Oh wait, fishing aint cheap either. LOL

FORE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, FISH ON

On 3/4/2019 at 9:25 AM, DropShot'r said:

At the best of times golf was a struggle for me. I haven't golfed in years and could care less.

Fishing for me is about the journey, not the destination. Fishing recharges my batteries. Quietly having a cup of dark roast and a piece of carrot cake while watching the sun rise over the Rideau River is no less important than the biggest bass of the day.  I'm easily distracted from fishing, oh look, an osprey, some loons, some otters, a dragon fly, the lady that does her gardening in her bikini. I enjoy a hot bite like everyone else, but still enjoy the day outside on a tough bite. 

I never wet a line in 2018 and that does bother me. Hopefully with these brand new hips things will improve in 2019.

I couldn't have put it better. Like I said it was getting outdoors and enjoying golfing in my mid 20's that got me out fishing. It is the journey not the destination. After tearing up my knees Golf was the only competitive outlet for me and other pals that couldn't compete in contact sports any longer. Then I started fishing and my life changed. I hope your new hips work out well. I golfed with a Dentist in Florida that lost a leg and he beat me once in a while, actually more than once in a while, he was a 10 handicap on 1 leg and could hit the ball a country mile. Hope you get out there chasing that stupid little ball this year, no excuses. By the way I think I know the woman that you are talking about but this young lady went topless gardening and sunbathing. Man the number of guys trolling in front of her place on Quinte was like the 401 at 4PM outside T.O. and she sure wasn't shy.