Is fishing good for you?

rockin-steelhead

• 2 weeks later...

Fishing in and of itself can be very relaxing. I have 2 friends that are very hyper active and talkative, but you put a fishing rod in their hands and point them at a lake/river they relax, focus and become mute. At least til a fish appears lol.

Yes I believe that fishing is good for the soul and body - but it use to be more so when you just went out in a row boat and parked somewhere on the lake and fished with live bait and a bobber - now a days with all the fancy equipment and the tournaments fishing has gotten stressful for many guys - I remember going fishing with my Uncle Herman back in the late 40s - get up early in the morning and sitting on my front porch until he came up the hill in his 39 chevy - I could tell it was him from the sound the car made coming up the hill - a couple nights before I picked a couple dozen nightcrawlers - on the way to the lake we would stop at a gas station on get some minnows - at the lake I had to get the rain water out of the wooden row boat with a tin car - we then rowed out to the lake an anchored along an island - we sat and talked - watched the wild life - and ate the lunches we brought with us - Uncle always had a couple bottles of beer with him to wash down the sandwiches

We would catch our limit of bass and chain pickerel then go back into the stumps and catch a mess of perch, sunnies and catfish - it was a real relaxing day and was something I still remember - I think something went away when we drifted away from the old way of fishing

2 hours ago, JoePa said:

I had to get the rain water out of the wooden row boat with a tin car

I still have great memories of the old flat bottomed wooden boats.

Me on your left with my dad & brother about 1950

Fun times for sure.

IMG_5133.jpg

• Like 2

Growing up I have watched my father challenge himself in so many ways with his different sports and hobbies. Amazing accomplishments actually, for many of those things he did become very good at.  Skiing, scuba diving, sky diving, wind surfing, a pilot with his own plane, photographer, marksman, builder (of many, many things), learning German, Morris Code and ham radio, motorcycling, hunting, golf, hockey, building/flying model airplanes and gliders, playing bass in a band, owning his own business...  He's a perfectionist too, and it never bothered me one iota growing up joining him for anything or even seeing him off to enjoy whatever was going in his life.  He's been an inspiration many times over and will always be a more knowledgeable and experienced man than myself.

But when he gets in the boat with me, or reads one of my stories about some traveling and the fishing done, maybe sometimes I inspire him a little.

Fishing is just one of those things that each person finds in their own way, and when moving ahead through life, continue on with to find themselves.  

Edited by Moosebunk