New fishing licences rant(the day the music died)

Acountdeleted

If this has already been posted or counts as political please let me know and I'll take it down, I just had to rant somewhere.

I got my new fishing licence today. A printed out piece of paper that isn't even waterproof. Needless to say I'm a little heartbroken (yeah, I'm a softie. It happens). What has happened to our fishing licences since I was a kid? How did this get decided this was the direction we were going?!?!?

I remember when I was a kid, my sister and I would always look forward to when my parents go their new licence. We would try to guess which fish or animal was on the front of the licence and couldn't wait to see the art. I remember when I turned 18 I didn't mind paying for fishing because I was getting something 'cool' that told the world I was a fisherman. I can still remember what my first licence looked like, the smallmouth bass, mouth opened getting ready to strike. I used to like attaching the stickers to the card as well. It reminded me of my old bubblegum baseball games where you would buy the stickers of the players and get that terrible stick of gum then add them into your sticker book. I used to love looking back over the old stickers I had on the card and remembering why I switched from a sport licence to conservation or vice versa.

Then they got rid of the art. And they got rid of the stickers. We still had a blue card with our name and details on it and yellow plastic ...... strips? Cards? Something in between. Sure the ink ran off of the yellow strips and it was weird having to have 3 cards in my wallet but it was still a card I could show off, it was still waterproof and it still fit in my wallet.

Now today I have a massive dang certificate that was printed at Sail. Not waterproof, can't fit in my wallet. No cool art. The woman recommended I take a picture of it. So now if I go ice fishing and my phone dies and I get this piece of paper wet am I at the mercy of the C.O? Could they at least offer the option to pay extra for the card? I'll wait for the shipping. I don't mind. 

I knew this already a few years ago but these are clearly signs I'm getting old. Now excuse me while I go take my eye test for my boaters exam.

10 minutes ago, PUMP KNOWS said:

Why not just buy a 3 year license and have everything printed on that one card?  I never understood why people wanted to deal with yellow strips and a certificate?

I renewed my fishing license for 3 years in early December and got  my card late January

With the last one I did a 3 year, got the card but still had the yellow strips. I only did the 1 year this year because I won't be fishing much with my knee so I got the conservation. Then I can go back to the sport for 2019 once I'm all healed up. I didn't know the 3 year was still the same. That is nice to know.

I thought the same thing, fishing = being around water and being outdoors, paper doesn't hold up well if it gets wet, another mind boggling step backwards 

typical gov't people, there's lots of them but they all have no clue, you just have to laugh 

Edited by chris.brock

If you buy the outdoors card with a 3 year fishing license, it is printed right on the card so all you need to carry is that which is nice.  If you go hunting or you have a 1 year fishing license, you need to carry your card AND a copy of your license summary either paper or electronic.  I had a slightly different understanding but found out the hard way last week that the electronic license summary alone is not enough, you still need to carry the card. 

That said, I cannot understand either why  they can't send you a little sticker to go on your card for each license either, it seems to work for our cars.....

I am very frustrated with the whole process that seems to change every year.

This year I purchased my new license the first week of January. They gave me a printed piece of paper which I have misplaced already.

I did take a picture of the temp license but what happens if my phone dies. They said 3 weeks I will receive my new license in the mail.

It is now March 1st and still nothing. I have nothing to show the CO this spring. Don't really care tho.  Its their problem now. Ministry of No Results.

Don't even know why I buy a license anymore

9 minutes ago, msp said:

I am very frustrated with the whole process that seems to change every year.

This year I purchased my new license the first week of January. They gave me a printed piece of paper which I have misplaced already.

I did take a picture of the temp license but what happens if my phone dies. They said 3 weeks I will receive my new license in the mail.

It is now March 1st and still nothing. I have nothing to show the CO this spring. Don't really care tho.  Its their problem now. Ministry of No Results.

Don't even know why I buy a license anymore

Its up to them to figure it out now, don't worry about it. What a waste of time and money eh? Brutal. 

S. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say my first fishing card was the one with a smallie on it and it is by far my favourite. It still sits in my wallet behind the new one which is boring but at least better then the blue one before it. cant be bothered to put some kind of fish/animal on it but i guess thats what happens to card budgets. I did have a printed page for the first month then got the new one in the mail in feb.

I am more pissed off that I was out every weekend except 2, and never seen a MNR copper. Maybe it,s cuz I fish away from the crowds. None the less,never seen one. I really wanted to use my cell app.LOL

Edited by misfish

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2019 at 10:14 AM, msp said:

3 months and still waiting. Im actually looking forward to being stopped by a CO this year !

I was too. I had  my license downloaded on my phone. Fishing simcoe one day, late in the day, my phone had died, 3 wardens and a york regional show up. Heres me with a dead phone and no way to prove i had a license. I was about to get a $244 ticket, until I got the bright idea to log into my email on someone elses phone and find my reciept. The guy was being a bit of a jerk, but, the point is, make sure you can prove you have one, because this guy was not going to call it in and find out, and had no problem writing me a ticket. 

S. 

If anyone really thinks it's up to the CO to look up your license, you might be right but I have a feeling he may charge for the service if he has to do so....also, you are still required to carry your outdoors card (assuming they have sent it to you).  The electronic provision is only for your license summary. 

Edited by G.mech

On 4/4/2019 at 4:35 PM, G.mech said:

If anyone really thinks it's up to the CO to look up your license, you might be right but I have a feeling he may charge for the service if he has to do so....also, you are still required to carry your outdoors card (assuming they have sent it to you).  The electronic provision is only for your license summary. 

Yep, that's correct. I had my valid outdoors card with me. 

I was stopped one time before and had forgotten my whole wallet at home. The CO had no problem calling in my details to check my license.

This guy was just being a bit of a jerk. I have thousands invested in my icefishing rig, does he really think I didn't have a license? We were out in a group of about 10 people, all with machines, and top of the line portables, flashers, all the gear.....like I didn't have a license?  Our whole group was 100% legit. Just being a jerk is all.  No need to be like that other than ego. 

End of the day, I was in the wrong, but he didn't have to be a jerk about it.   I just wanted to share my experience so others don't get caught in the same situation. 

S. 

2 hours ago, Sinker said:

he didn't have to be a jerk about it.   I just wanted to share my experience so others don't get caught in the same situation. 

I always wondered WHY, they need to be this way ? I get there are dickhead anglers, but why hold that on every angler ?

Edited by misfish

15 hours ago, misfish said:

I always wondered WHY, they need to be this way ? I get there are dickhead anglers, but why hold that on every angler ?

Who knows. The other 2 CO's and the Cop were good guys. Shot the bull with them for quite a bit, but the one guy had a chip on his shoulder. Oh well, no biggie, just wanted to give a heads up for anyone else. 

S. 

My fishing licence has a handicapped symbol on it. I held off for years getting the handicapped placard.  If I'm feeling good I don't park in the handicapped spots. Hopefully you all never need to get one.

A heads up, I was in our local Home Hardware this week and a gent asked to get his fishing licence, the clerk told him Home Hardware no longer deals with hunting or fishing licences, 

On 3/14/2019 at 3:53 PM, misfish said:

I am more pissed off that I was out every weekend except 2, and never seen a MNR copper. Maybe it,s cuz I fish away from the crowds. None the less,never seen one. I really wanted to use my cell app.LOL

You have to stop wearing white clothes/gear on the ice. You blend in. Reason why polar bears are white.