Couple of big crashes

Fisherman

ive driven through crap like this multiple times, the problem is that people still keep their agenda for the day, and truckers tend to believe that because they are in a truck that snow cant stop them. 

I got side swiped by a transport truck that hit and ran me about 6 years ago. He along with his convoy of trucks all decided that the rest of the citizens on the road slowing down and following eachother appropriately in extremely hazardous driving conditions were jeapordizing them making their delivery time. Their solution was to attempt to drive and pass everyone through a 2 foot snowdrift in the passing lane which subsequently resulted in the the truck just smashing into my car with no regard for me being on the road. The A hole knowing that there was no way I could see his plates continued on his way leaving me with a totalled car.

Driving in a complete white out isnt hard...you just slow down until you can see where you are going, if that means you drive 5kmh then so be it...the problem is that there are people that think they can still drive 100kmh because they have 4 wheel drive and winter tires.

• Like 2

A lot of people do not get snow tires thinking all season tires are good enough. All season tires are not good in winter conditions and I have seen many vehicles loose control. AWD and 4x4 still need snows for braking control. Trucks do not to have snow tires, keep your distance from them on the hwy.

2 hours ago, 16 Footer said:

A lot of people do not get snow tires thinking all season tires are good enough. All season tires are not good in winter conditions and I have seen many vehicles loose control. AWD and 4x4 still need snows for braking control. Trucks do not to have snow tires, keep your distance from them on the hwy.

" Trucks do not to have snow tires, keep your distance from them on the hwy. "

I drove a tractor trailer for 30+ years, there is a bit more to that. You generally never know what a truck is carrying unless you can see the load. A moderately or heavily loaded truck will handle much better in bad weather than a lightly loaded or empty one, and even then it has to be loaded properly.

One winter day I was driving down the 427 collectors in the middle lane. The roads were snow covered and there was a 5 ton straight truck in front of me. For some unknown reason all of a sudden it was sliding sideways down the road.  ?

I checked my mirror turned on my signal and pulled into the passing lane while slowing down to avoid the sideways truck. The guy on my right side in the speeding BMW panicked and spun out into the ditch. ? 

The truck driver managed to pull out of the skid without hitting anyone. 

1 hour ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

One winter day I was driving down the 427 collectors in the middle lane. The roads were snow covered and there was a 5 ton straight truck in front of me. For some unknown reason all of a sudden it was sliding sideways down the road.  ?

I checked my mirror turned on my signal and pulled into the passing lane while slowing down to avoid the sideways truck. The guy on my right side in the speeding BMW panicked and spun out into the ditch. ? 

The truck driver managed to pull out of the skid without hitting anyone. 

(Bet I'll get some flack for this one) 

Makes sense. You know what BMW stands for? Bad Motorist Warning. 

2 days in a row now out my way, hwy 115 closed both directions. People just dont get it. I dont' care what road conditions are like, I just watch out for the idiots. I have dedicated snows, and 4x4, but I still don't drive as fast as these idiots. Notice there always seems to be a big rig involved? Both times here, yesterday and today, the big rigs went off the road, driving too fast, and caused pile ups. These guys are the most dangerous drivers on the road now a days. I know some of them are good, but most of them are not. I don't trust them for a second. There used to be a time when they were the best on the roads, and your safest bet was to hop in behind one and just follow along, Not anymore.  I don't even like going by one on the hwy anymore. Half the time they can't even stay in their own lane on good roads. Welcome to Ontario. Worst drivers in the world. 

S. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sinker said:

2 days in a row now out my way, hwy 115 closed both directions. People just dont get it. I dont' care what road conditions are like, I just watch out for the idiots. I have dedicated snows, and 4x4, but I still don't drive as fast as these idiots. Notice there always seems to be a big rig involved? Both times here, yesterday and today, the big rigs went off the road, driving too fast, and caused pile ups. These guys are the most dangerous drivers on the road now a days. I know some of them are good, but most of them are not. I don't trust them for a second. There used to be a time when they were the best on the roads, and your safest bet was to hop in behind one and just follow along, Not anymore.  I don't even like going by one on the hwy anymore. Half the time they can't even stay in their own lane on good roads. Welcome to Ontario. Worst drivers in the world. 

S. 

Had a long reply that crapped out on me so here's the Cliff notes edition. Trans Canada between Winnipeg and Kenora one October. 

6" of snow on the highway, 4 wheel drivers careful and slow, truck drivers not. Over 100 vehicles in ditches, 2 or 3 four wheelers and the rest all trucks. The end!!! 

• Like 1

I pretty sure the new breed of truck drivers we see driving these rigs, are all "legally" licensed and "trained". It's just their interpretation of a snow storm that confuses them; you see things don't get slippery in a sand storm. 

Dan.

• Haha 4

drove to oakville yesterday afternoon in that complete whiteout (normally i wouldnt bother but its a long story)

Everyone was driving reasonably, saw one 20 year old moron in a suped up civic with snow tires swerving all over making lane changes to pass everyone...he will get his one day and of course blame the weather for his accident. Also one of my all time favourite things "I crashed because the weather was so bad" lmao. About the only time I would let someone get away with this is if they hit really bad black ice in a small area. Even then, you dont really have an excuse.

Anyways back to the main subject I saw one accident on the 401...A transport truck rear ended a snow plow. Surprise Surprise.

Edited by AKRISONER

I always find these type of posts hilarious and so very predictable.

Everytime there's a snow storm, every person you talk to and I mean EVERY person, will blame every other car or truck on the road for all the problems, whether it's small car drivers, SUV drivers, pick-up truck drivers, tractor trailer drivers, old people, young people, male or female or that all time favorite...immigrants.

Another thing is how so many guys that live in the country think they're a far superior driver than those folks that live in the city, or even funnier the ones that think they're better than every person that lives below hwy 7

Just once it'd be nice to hear someone say the problem was caused by ME because I was driving too fast, or too slow or didn't have winter tires or some darned thing.

Keep the remarks coming boyz, you're making my day hahahahaha

Edited by lew
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, lew said:

I always find these type of posts hilarious and so very predictable.

Everytime there's a snow storm, every person you talk to and I mean EVERY person, will blame every other car or truck on the road for all the problems, whether it's small car drivers, SUV drivers, pick-up truck drivers, tractor trailer drivers, old people, young people, male or female or that all time favorite...immigrants.

Another thing is how so many guys that live in the country think they're a far superior driver than those folks that live in the city, or even funnier the ones that think they're better than every person that lives below hwy 7

Just once it'd be nice to hear someone say the problem was caused by ME because I was driving too fast, or too slow or didn't have winter tires or some darned thing.

Keep the remarks coming boyz, you're making my day hahahahaha

Well Ill be the first to point out my bad driving...I was 19 years old, inexperienced

I was driving my dads 4 runner north of parry sound. It had been snowing and -4 all night, the salters were out and the roads were wet. During my drive from Georgetown to Pointe Au Baril the temperature dropped from -4 to -20 due to a flash freeze. I at the time was completely unaware of the scientific fact that when the temperature hits -17 water freezes even if its salt water. So what happened was those wet roads turned to a complete sheet of black ice. Me being inexperienced was driving the 4 runner in rear wheel drive. 

I was doing the speed limit following another vehicle when we began to go up an incline and the automatic transmission shifted causing an increase in tourque at the rear wheels...my rear end then ended up beside me, i corrected only to start sliding the other way into oncoming traffic. I hit the bank and rolled 4 times. We survived but the truck was totalled. 

That was a tough way to learn about the fact that salted roads dont stay thawed when it gets really cold.

I havent had a single ticket, or accident since except for when I was side swiped in a hit and run by a truck sliding into my lane.

I would say though that if you are going to comment, your driving record better be clean as a whistle lol. You also better have never ended up in a ditch anywhere.

Edited by AKRISONER

After umpteen DDC courses and a while on the skid pan, I learned it's far easier to slow down and keep it between the lines than trying to extricate yourself from a snowbank or much worse.  An extra couple feet of distance between you and the one in front gives you an extra escape zone too.  However if the conditions are that bad, I stay off the roads and let someone else make a mess of things.

As one gets older they tend to chill behind the wheel.  ;)

I was driving to work one day, South out of Grand Valley (yup I was one of those rural guys).

There was 6+ inches of snow on the road and a line of about 1/2 dozen vehicles plodding along at 50 in an 80 zone.

We were climbing a hill when I saw someone at the back of the line pull into the oncoming lane and giver!

Well, it was a no passing zone with it being a hill and all but buddy didn't care he had places to go.

He had to duck in behind the guy right behind me and was going too fast and proceeded to spin out into the ditch in an explosion of white. 

I guess he didn't get where he was in a hurry to get to.  ??

For the record, I've never caused an accident, or lost control and went off the road. 

I actually learned how to drive in a rear wheel drive car on lake scugog in the winter lol

I was driving to work one day this year, a couple weeks ago. Had the truck in 4x4, 4 awesome snow tires, and trucking along between 70-80 in an 80. Roads were snow covered, and pretty greasy, on a rural windy road. I have this woman right up my tailpipe in a small car and I know she wants to pass me REAL bad! I prepare myself for her to pull out and pass on the first straight section of road, she pulls out, I let off the gas, and move slightly onto the shoulder and just watch it happen..........she pulls out, gets just past me, and hits the slush trying to get back in our lane, and away she goes.....out in the ditch. I really didn't want to stop, but I did. Made sure she was ok, and she was. I asked her if she was late....."no, why?".....LOL....."Going a little fast weren't you?"......"UHM....NO".....

I wanted to just leave here right there, but I opted to be an ice guy and let her sit in my truck waiting for the tow truck. 

S.