Holguin Cuba fishing?

captpierre

I don't know what their laws are, but they treated my rods like they were a prohibited weapon, my rods made it through and surprisingly didn't get broken

I wouldn't bring rods, but try to sniff around locally, on your own for a Tarpon guy, that would be worth it

stay away from the Cuban BBQ hot dogs, crap your pants

All fishing from shore is apparently illegal down there now. I know that on Lloyd and Keith's trip in December that they had to be up and fishing at 5 AM and packed up and gone before the police made their rounds at about 10AM every day. Trying to make you take a Charter is the goal it seems...

• Sad 1

I was just in Holguin.  There was a dude fishing from the beach (on the outer edge ... not near swimmers) at least 2 times I saw.

Checking local laws is smart no matter where we go.

I don't know the laws down there but have seen YouTube vids of people fishing from shore while in Cuba.  I can see them making it illegal in order to promote the government controlled tourist industry and fishing charters.  But there are lots of open and private shorelines and from what we saw at our resort in Holguin, and the military (2 young guys) coming through once a day and doing a quick check.

I was in Holguin a few years ago. Spent an afternoon lounging in the sun, watch a dude wading out to the reef, chucking shrimp from an ultra light rod. He had pretty much non-stop action, small stuff, but action non the less. Looked like fun and from my vantage point, it was like watching a fishin show from a nice warm bar!

HH

It is not illegal to fish from shore in Cuba, no license is required. It is illegal to fish in a nature preserve and Holguin is no where near one. If you are new to southern fishing I would advise just fishing of a hired Cat for an afternoon or two with the wife. Those are great little trips and you get to see the resort from a completely different perspective. A good trolling rod and and bright flashy lures you can troll quick is what I would bring. I did that one time and nada. Southern DIY shore fishing has a steep learning curve and you don't want to try to learn under difficult circumstances. Basically any mainland coast is under a ton of fishing pressure. If you are adventuresome scour a map of the region. Any place with a heavy tide could be good. You can rent a local taxi for the day relatively cheap. That sort of excursion is also fun even if you catch nothing. 

Edited by scuro2