The poor maligned Pickeral

TJQ

2 hours ago, Terry said:

Or calico bass as some call them. 

That's what we called them in the late 50's/60's before we had US fishing shows on the tube and learned they were crappie. First ones I caught were white crappie in the Chippewa Creek. Actually , it was those US shows that got us calling Pickeral , Walleyes as well ?.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Actually on Lake Erie they have been called "Yellow Pike" because of it's cousin the "Blue Pike" that has now become extinct in Lake Erie and anywhere else they use to swim and I'm NOT referring to a Walleye with a blue coloring.  See  here for more info on this once GREAT Fish.......

http://www.bagheera.com/inthewild/ext_blupike.htm

2 hours ago, Mister G said:

Actually on Lake Erie they have been called "Yellow Pike" because of it's cousin the "Blue Pike" that has now become extinct in Lake Erie and anywhere else they use to swim and I'm NOT referring to a Walleye with a blue coloring.  See  here for more info on this once GREAT Fish.......

http://www.bagheera.com/inthewild/ext_blupike.htm

"

Questions for Thought:

Cumulative effects can be difficult to predict and measure. Should commercial fishers have to reduce their fishing level because of pollution caused by another industry?

No matter who is to blame does it make any sense to net a species to the verge of extinction?

A lot of fishing in the Great Lakes and other regions is conducted from charter boats, boats that are hired for a day or a weekend to take fishers out to the good fishing spots. Boat owners and skippers depend on this business for their living. Should this kind of fishing be considered sport fishing or commercial fishing? Why might it make a difference in some cases? "

A great lakes boat can be a pricey item, and some people don't want to make that kind of investment for an item that might see limited use. A charter captain is selling a service, helping people catch fish, they are not actually selling the fish?

21 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

"

Questions for Thought:

Cumulative effects can be difficult to predict and measure. Should commercial fishers have to reduce their fishing level because of pollution caused by another industry?

No matter who is to blame does it make any sense to net a species to the verge of extinction?

A lot of fishing in the Great Lakes and other regions is conducted from charter boats, boats that are hired for a day or a weekend to take fishers out to the good fishing spots. Boat owners and skippers depend on this business for their living. Should this kind of fishing be considered sport fishing or commercial fishing? Why might it make a difference in some cases? "

A great lakes boat can be a pricey item, and some people don't want to make that kind of investment for an item that might see limited use. A charter captain is selling a service, helping people catch fish, they are not actually selling the fish?

Commercial means making money off some kind of product/service so YES Charter Boat fishing in my eyes is definitely commercial fishing. I also consider TOURNAMENTS as another kind of commercial fishing being exploited by others to take advantage of our natural resources.  Large tournament after tournament can help destroy a lakes ability to sustain a species that is being targeted because even in catch and release tournaments a LOT of fish don't  survive. 

Take away the MONEY and this all goes away. 

2 hours ago, Mister G said:

Commercial means making money off some kind of product/service so YES Charter Boat fishing in my eyes is definitely commercial fishing. I also consider TOURNAMENTS as another kind of commercial fishing being exploited by others to take advantage of our natural resources.  Large tournament after tournament can help destroy a lakes ability to sustain a species that is being targeted because even in catch and release tournaments a LOT of fish don't  survive. 

Take away the MONEY and this all goes away. 

So renting cabins on a lake and encouraging people to come and fish could also be commercial fishing? They are also exploiting our natural resources for profit? While I don't agree with all aspects of tournament fishing it has at least for bass encouraged awareness of catch and release to sustain a fishery?

LOL, I remember fishing some of those same spots in my youth, we didn't see any bass, sure water quality has a lot to do with that though.

5 minutes ago, OhioFisherman said:

So renting cabins on a lake and encouraging people to come and fish could also be commercial fishing? They are also exploiting our natural resources for profit? While I don't agree with all aspects of tournament fishing it has at least for bass encouraged awareness of catch and release to sustain a fishery?

LOL, I remember fishing some of those same spots in my youth, we didn't see any bass, sure water quality has a lot to do with that though.

If you want to look at that way, that's up to you. However, most people who rent cabins/cottages/homes along any lake don't even fish. So NO I don't see it that way unless said rental property stipulated you MUST fish while renting said property. I don't know of any property that has that stipulation, do you ? ? ?

Now when you pay a fee to enter into a fishing contest on said lake, I would highly assume that person intends on fishing that contest for a PROFIT.