Vacuum sealers

kickingfrog

I wasn't overly impressed by the food saver either. Its ok for dry things, but for fish, its not as good as freezing in a zip lock with water. The bags sometimes get punctured in the freezer too, so that voids the whole "air tight" theory. Even zip locks, with fish frozen in water is fine if the bag gets punctured.  For dry (ish) things its ok, but still gets expensive buying bags for it. I can get a good air tight zip lock with a straw. Just put a straw in the bag, seal it tight to the straw, and suck the air out. It works just about as good as a food saver. Just my opinion. 

S. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mamona said:

@Sinker What do you mean "fish frozen in water"? Can you elaborate?

https://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/the-wild-chef/seven-tips-for-freezing-fish

" 5. Who remembers all those waxed milk cartons of fish in your parent’s freezer? Freezing fish in water is a great way to keep it fresh; however, the flesh can absorb water during the process, turning it mushy. Make sure your freezer is set to its coldest level to freeze fish as quickly as possible. "

12 minutes ago, Sinker said:

Put fish in ziplock and fill with water. The water is airtight, and you get no freezerburn at all. The comment above is Bull as far as I'm concerned. Fish doesn't get mushy in water. 

S. 

Ya, dad used to do it that way any we never had issues with mushy fish.

25 minutes ago, Sinker said:

Put fish in ziplock and fill with water. The water is airtight, and you get no freezerburn at all. The comment above is Bull as far as I'm concerned. Fish doesn't get mushy in water. 

S. 

Same.  I do this at the cottage. No mushy fillets. Likely some loss of flavour leaking into water. I’ve heard of people using milk instead of water. Never tried it.  Freezer burns ruin meat. Hate it. 

I didn't watch the video. 

I put mine in large zip locks with enough for a meal for the family, cover with water, suck the air out, and lay the bags flat in a tupperware container. Once they freeze laying flat, I take them out of the tupperware, and put them in a box, upright, and that's where they stay until I want to eat them. I find keeping it all together in a small box in the freezer helps keep the bags from getting punctured, and freezing the bags flat in the container keeps them kind of square, and flat so they store great in the small box. I mark them all with contents so its kind of like a filing cabinet of fish in the freezer. I only freeze perch and crappies in the spring, and the odd time walleye if I don't devour them right away.  It probably sounds like I have tons of fish in my freezer, but I really dont at all LOL....just like to have it organized and well taken care of if/when I do freeze it. Proper care before it even gets cleaned is the key to great fish. Anyone whos had one of my fish frys will tell you, I pride myself on my fish. 

S.