Vacuum sealers

kickingfrog

if you have the money and plan to freeze A LOT, I'd buy a chamber vacuum sealer. I have a Foodsaver and reuse the bags and it does the job very well, but its a mess trying to seal liquid items (unless one froze it beforehand). Chamber sealers can bag liquids, but they cost waaay more than Foodsavers. and get the unit with built in roll cutter. 

My take. I have a big veggie garden and I have also always bought bigger cuts of meat  on sale and cut up and froze into meal size portions. I tried a good food saver unit about 10 years ago and it lasted a year. Maybe I just had bad luck or maybe I used it a way more then your average Joe. Anyway since then I have found that if I take my portions and carefully wrap in saran wrap then seal in a ziplock bag it works just fine. I have had packages of frozen perch get buried and lost in the freezer sometimes for over a year and I know this because I date everything with a sharpie when it goes in the freezer. I find it, take it out and cook it up and it's just as good as stuff that has only been frozen for a couple of weeks. Wrap it in saran wrap carefully and squeeze out all the air and you will get zero freezer burn. I will never spend another dime on any type of vacuum sealer.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, b2kptbo said:

FoodSaver V4825 at Costco, you would go wrong...

Bingo!

Also when you do get get one, I recommend getting the roll of "bags" instead of pre-set individual medium or large bags. You can get a lot more bang for your buck out of the roll.

• Like 2

I've had a food saver for many years and have never regretted buy it. I take the thing with us on fishing trips (as long as we have hydro) and package our take home fish with it. Partially freeze the fillets on a flat surface (dish drainer); once stiff to the touch, place them side by side in a vacuum bag and seal them. Perfect if you're stopped for an inspection; both sides of the fillet are visible. Why freeze the fillets;; so the the vacuuming doesn't squash them and the liquid in the fish doesn't get sucked into the machine. As for sealing liquids, it can be done very easily. I elevate the machine off the counter, by 4 or 5 inches; a shoe box works. Fill a bag 3/4 full, set the bag on the counter, put the open end in the machine and lock the lid. Push the vac button and just as the last bit of air is gone push the seal button. Saves a ton of room in the freezer; when you can stack the flat bags on a shelf. Other uses are almost endless; I have a complete change of cloths in the fish hut; sealed in a bag (11"X 12" X 2") oh yeah there also a bath towel in there to dry off; after that refreshing swim. LOL Potato chip bags, after taking out what you want, put the open end in the machine and push the seal button; nice air tight seal and the chips stay fresh. We don't use twist ties anymore on plastic bags; just pop the open end of any bag into the machine and reseal the bag. No more rock hard brown sugar or freezer burnt half bags of frozen vegetables. 

Yes the bags are not cheep to buy; but you don't have to always use the "FoodSaver" bags. Here's a place where you can get generic bags; that work just as good.

Flex Pack

Dan.

My buddies in Alaska mostly use high end vac machines but they are freezing a lot of stuff.

From salmon, halibut and rockfish to moose and caribou. Most of my friends have more than one full sized deep freeze. ;)

A few use this one from Cabelas while the rest are using chamber machines.

https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=2742410&type=product

Capture.thumb.JPG.41cf438ffbc07e6d33a230f6554af0ef.JPG

We have been using a Vacuum Sealer for about 15 years now........we vacuum a LOT of stuff including fish, meats, veggies from the garden, cheese, etc......another item I tried to vacuum but not freeze is CIGARS.......Much better then a humidor IMHO.

Now when it comes to bags we only buy ROLLS and make our own bags but we have found the rolls are MUCH CHEAPER on Ebay if you purchase (4) 50' long 8" rolls at one time.