AKRISONER

Moving North? Things to consider

8 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

2. Barrie from what I witness when I regularly pass through has really taken a turn for the worst in recent years. The “drugs” thread touched on the what appears to be opioid and meth problem that has spiked there recently. It’s more the rule than the exception for me to now see tweakers and junkies in the essa and Bayfield areas of town. It’s really unfortunate.

YUP

Yer still young, plenty of time JR. :good:

Unfortunately the drug problem isn’t just Barrie. It’s lots of small towns, and it’s really noticeable because the towns are small. You’ll find this problem everywhere. Opioids are a national crisis. 

But not to get derailed, one thing I forgot before is there’s a lot of little things you might miss that you take for granted. Pizza delivery? Not outside gta lol. Want to buy new clothes? The malls got 20 stores geared at geriatrics. 

Meth wreaking havoc for sure.

I am sure you have seen the change in Parry Sound too.  Discarded needle, etc.

And North Bay going through hell.  Their own encampments/tent cities, discarded needles, crime, etc.

Going north (even farther north) not necessarily an escape from these issues anymore.  Not just a big city problem.  

Sad but, true.

There definitely will be offsets for each option.  Costs for both too.

You seem to be going at it in a level-headed way.

Best of luck,

Mark

Obviously there are pluses and minuses everwhere, but we love it here in Wasaga. Best of both worlds, IMO. We moved here upon retirement. I can get to Muskoka to fish as a day trip summer and winter. We can get on the 400 quite easily well above most of the traffic. River fishing spring and fall, down rigging in summer if you are into that. The whole area from Midland to C'wood offers similar advantages. 

• Like 1

i mentioned living with bugs, ive already posted one video of the mosquitos in 2018...well this year was the year of blackflies, mosquitos and deer flys.

In the close to 15 years up there I have never seen anything like it. The seasons seemed to blend into each other as well. I remember one day, if you were in the shade you were swarmed by blackflied and mosquitos, if you stepped into the sun you got swarmed by deer flies. One particular day in july it was calm hot and sunny, I tried to take my dog for his walk and we had to call it quits. He had a swarm of about 40 deer flies clouding him and continuously biting him on his underside and nose.

Heres a clip from blackfly season, mind the language!

21 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

i mentioned living with bugs, ive already posted one video of the mosquitos in 2018...well this year was the year of blackflies, mosquitos and deer flys.

In the close to 15 years up there I have never seen anything like it. The seasons seemed to blend into each other as well. I remember one day, if you were in the shade you were swarmed by blackflied and mosquitos, if you stepped into the sun you got swarmed by deer flies. One particular day in july it was calm hot and sunny, I tried to take my dog for his walk and we had to call it quits. He had a swarm of about 40 deer flies clouding him and continuously biting him on his underside and nose.

Heres a clip from blackfly season, mind the language!

It has been an exceptionally bad year. Still getting mosquitos at dusk and deer flies on the lake on the warmer days.  One of the striped wing buggers got me last night down at the shore. The cold nights usually put an end to them. They might be a winter species...lol

2 hours ago, jimmer said:

It has been an exceptionally bad year. Still getting mosquitos at dusk and deer flies on the lake on the warmer days.  One of the striped wing buggers got me last night down at the shore. The cold nights usually put an end to them. They might be a winter species...lol

when bug season extends into ice fishing season im done with fishing lol. You can convince me to sit out in the cold, drill through ice waiting for a fish to pass my whole while also trying to clear bugs away from me. Screw that lol