Moving North? Things to consider

AKRISONER

Consider working from home a bit longer to see if you actually like it.  Then consider making your weekend escape a place to live. 

Most folks always say they would of done it sooner than later.  Lots of these folks are older and are tired of the hustle and bustle of the city.  Take the smallest things into consideration.  Do you like giving Halloween candy out to children?  Living up north off the main highway you'll only be feeding turkeys.  How about gourmet food?  Goodbye to foreign food and say hello to Timmies, Jacks Chinese and Canadian Food Restaurant, Godfathers and Dixie Lee, oh wait, they're all closed during the winter as soon as the sun sets ( depending on location of course ).  Want to go see a festival? Garlic Festival in Maynooth over the weekend, 5 tables with same faces for the last 3000 years.  You will need to have good hobbies during the winter.   Like gardening?  Well, a cold snap in August can kill your tomatoes and you're very limited to what you can grow.  Life will become much more simple and slow down a lot.  But my goodness does the air taste much better.

• Like 1

Oddly enough, I grew up in a small town and always wanted to move to Ottawa. That changed after spending a semester at college there. I now live about 10 kilometres from the nearest town on a 1 acre lot. I'm on Septic and well and havent spent much over the last 8 years. I have pumped the septic once and haven't had any issues with my well.

The nice thing is that there really are very little costs to a well and a septic system (unless it is a holding tank as already stated. Our cottage is on of those and we pump it 4-5 times a year) but when they go, it costs a lot to fix.

I go to Toronto once in a while (heading there Saturday) and I love being there but could not live there. I like my space and totally understand why you would be thinking of moving out of town.

As I get older I seem to dislike noise and the hustle & bustle less and less.

Grew up in Mississauga and spent most of my life there.

Then moved to Grand Valley to get away from the busy city although I still worked in the city and commuted.

Next I moved to Yellowknife in the NWT Canada's most northerly city population 18,000.

The next move will be to my off grid cabin when I retire. It's 20kms or so down the road outside of town and then 14kms up the lake.  

I will make a weekly trips into town to resupply and am probably going to spend the winters down South in the sun.  ;)

To help keep your septic system happy. If your are cleaning trout and the blood along backbone great to keep septic

percolating. Little bits of blood from a steak all good. That crap you buy for septic is mostly dried blood. 

The weak point on your well is the foot valve. Either style submerged pump (pump at bottom of well)

or pump at the top means you take cover of well and pump will be on a platform 4 ft down. Then long pipe to bottom

where theirs a foot valve.

With both system we always bought a second foot valve when the old one screwed up.

Of course there are people that do this work but pretty straight forward.   

On 2/13/2019 at 2:57 PM, Gerritt said:

Another consideration is the availability of high speed internet, many in rural areas have poor access to decent high speed and have to rely on companies like explorenet etc... this is costly and generally not well liked by their customers...but they have little to no choice in many areas.

this is definitely something I would need to make sure of, cell phone reception and good internet. Hopefully being closer to Parry Sound would help with that. Generally cell phone coverage in the area is very good, infact i typically get better coverage in PAB vs at my parents house in georgetown.

On 2/13/2019 at 4:14 PM, NAW said:

I lived on a bush lot for many years.  Septic.  Oil Furnace.

There is to much to type right now.  I think we need to go fishing together and chat.!

I highly highly recommend moving though.  I can assure you, that if you find the right place, you will enjoy a much higher quality of life know how much you enjoy the outdoors. 

yes 

On 2/13/2019 at 5:31 PM, lew said:

We usually lose several times a year, sometimes for a day or more, and it's very reassuring to know  when it does go out you've got nothing to worry about.

Definitely standard stuff up there, thats why we drain the water lines literally every single time we leave the cottage for more than a day.

On 2/13/2019 at 10:15 PM, MJIG said:

Garbage pickup availability?

How far is it to the nearest landfill?

You may also want/need a few additional tools/gadgets that may not be needed in a city home/condo: lawn tractor, chain saw, utility trailer,  snow blower, tree pruner, sump pump, water infiltration alarms, ladders, surveillance/security.

yup definitely think the idea would be to buy a small tractor with a blower, much like we have at the lake currently as our road is not serviced. Also helps to fix the road when washouts occur. Much easier than hauling wheelbarrows of dirt, been there done that!

19 hours ago, Dozer said:

Consider working from home a bit longer to see if you actually like it.  Then consider making your weekend escape a place to live. 

Most folks always say they would of done it sooner than later.  Lots of these folks are older and are tired of the hustle and bustle of the city.  Take the smallest things into consideration.  Do you like giving Halloween candy out to children?  Living up north off the main highway you'll only be feeding turkeys.  How about gourmet food?  Goodbye to foreign food and say hello to Timmies, Jacks Chinese and Canadian Food Restaurant, Godfathers and Dixie Lee, oh wait, they're all closed during the winter as soon as the sun sets ( depending on location of course ).  Want to go see a festival? Garlic Festival in Maynooth over the weekend, 5 tables with same faces for the last 3000 years.  You will need to have good hobbies during the winter.   Like gardening?  Well, a cold snap in August can kill your tomatoes and you're very limited to what you can grow.  Life will become much more simple and slow down a lot.  But my goodness does the air taste much better.

I appreciate this comment because this is something I have thought about in great detail.

1. I definitely will be working from home for close to another year before even making any decision. As weird as it is, the city in a way can be extremely isolating. Especially living in a condo, there is absolutely 0 sense of community. I dont know my neighbors, have never talked to them. Even when I owned a house, trick or treaters etc never once came to my house because it was on a main road. I lived in a semi detached home and the only time I ever spoke to my neighbor was when he tried to tell me that the fascia on his awning was in perfect condition, meanwhile squirrles had eaten through it and were now nesting in the attic over my porch and I couldnt stop them because they were coming in through his side. I ended up having to get the city to go after him...Fun right? 

2. An important factor in this entire decision, would be pending on my girlfriend's ability to still maintain her apartment in the city. This whole idea sparked up because we currently both have our own places, except I spend 4 days a week up north, 2 days at her house and then usually one night a week I am home in my own apartment. My girlfriend has a job in the city and will be staying here, but the thought here is why do we need two places here? I drive from pointe au baril to toronto every week almost anyways, would it be so different to reverse that drive?

3. I generally hate and avoid crowds, Youd never find me at a festival, or fishing show or any of that kind of stuff, im generally out on my own or with a friend fishing. My girlfriend is much the same except switch the fishing for reading. We both hate crowds.

4. Why of course, i have the best winter hobbies of all, snowboarding, fishing and snowmobiling. Winter was actually my favourite season prior to me owning a boat, then things kind of swayed the other way lol.

5. I honestly dont know if I like gardening, I did a little tiny bit of it at my old house, but now that I am in a condo I cant do any.

Important to remember here folks, Im not actually truly a "city person" I spent the first 8 years of my life in Flin Flon Manitoba, I then grew up in Georgetown, prior to it becoming an extension of brampton. I used to think that some day I would just move back there, because growing up there was awesome it still had a small town vibe, was quiet and everyone knew eachother...times have changed and I swear on my life, there is no damn chance I would ever consider living in the GTA unless it was in the actual city. I literally think that living in Brampton or Mississauga is the worst kind of hell.

Luckily, my dad and brothers are both engineers, my dad specifically works in non-ferrous hydrometallurgy so unless you have 5 hours to talk about pumps with him you just avoid the conversation lol.

All of this input is friggin awesome.

Edited by AKRISONER

25 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

I then grew up in Georgetown, prior to it becoming an extension of brampton. I

When I lived in Brampton, the kodac plant was out in a field. Lived in the Glendale section. Georgetown was a small little place. Acton was, blink and you missed it. LOL

One thing that was not mentioned is the availability of hospitals or doctors when you need them - I would think that this is more of a concern as you get older - I live in the country but not that far from a pretty big city - so I think I have it pretty good - it is quiet where I live but if needed I can drive to the city when needed

• Like 2

I grew up in Mississauga and it was a great place in the 70's and 80's.

Now, not so much. The last time I visited I couldn't believe what a zoo it was.

It blew me away that derry road was now as wide as 1/2 of the 401!!! I remember when it was 1 lane each way through farm country. ?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

I remember when it was 1 lane each way through farm country. ?

The whole GTA is getting that way now Dave & if you drive the 401 west from Oshawa it's so built up you almost can't tell when you go from one city to the next and you basically don't see any grass till you get past Stoney Creek.

I left Toronto 9 years ago and have only been back once and hopefully that's the last time. LOL

Property taxes are roughly based on property value. 

Lakefront properties pay lots more than rural/bush properties. 

If you’re  not on a municipal road you’ll have to pay for  road maintenance and snow plowing  

Keep bugs in mind. Hardly any at Yorkdale. You might be a prisoner at your bush property for 2 months. 

Can be lonely up north in the winter if you’re a social animal.

Think about proximity to retail, hospital,  hardware/Home Depot. 

I’d want to be within 20-30 from town. Max 1hr from major hospital. 

Preferably 10 min from Kawartha Dairies ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, captpierre said:

Keep bugs in mind. Hardly any at Yorkdale. You might be a prisoner at your bush property for 2 months. 

I enjoy sitting on the back deck watching the dragon flys when they come out. They are like dive bombers on the other flying insects.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, misfish said:

I enjoy sitting on the back deck watching the dragon flys when they come out. They are like dive bombers on the other flying insects.

The only time it really sucks up here is when the bulldogs are out in full force.

Y'all call them houseflies down South but ours are larger, more numerous and more aggressive.

Deep Woods Off doesn't work as they just lick it off before they take a huge chunk out of you.  :lol:

I remember fishing on Horwood Lake one time - one day we decided to go out on the lake when it got dark - we're out there and started hearing a noise which we thought was a train off in the distance - we finally realized it was bugs - trillions of them - all over the place - had to keep your mouth shut or you would be eating them - it must have been some kind of a hatch going on - you would think it was snowing - then one time on Detour lake - we were staying in a cabin - in the evening you couldn't get another mosquito on the screen in the window - it was fully covered with them - some got into the cabin so we had to sleep under the sheets - yes - you got bugs up north

On 2/15/2019 at 3:03 PM, captpierre said:

Property taxes are roughly based on property value. 

Lakefront properties pay lots more than rural/bush properties. 

If you’re  not on a municipal road you’ll have to pay for  road maintenance and snow plowing  

Can be lonely up north in the winter if you’re a social animal.

Think about proximity to retail, hospital,  hardware/Home Depot. 

I’d want to be within 20-30 from town. Max 1hr from major hospital. 

Preferably 10 min from Kawartha Dairies ?

I spend half of my week up in Pointe Au Baril as it stands...heres a clip of the skeeters from last June

You wouldnt believe that bugs can get so bad that its literally unbearable, but in this case it actually is. I usually wear a hat, sunglasses and a buff drenched in mosquito repellent, just to be able to do things quickly outside. Without them you are quite literally eating bugs non stop.

On 2/16/2019 at 11:11 AM, JoePa said:

- we're out there and started hearing a noise which we thought was a train off in the distance - 

Joepa, I can relate to this so much, every year at bass opener I spend the week fishing and every evening the signal to go home isnt related to the light, its related to the sound. One minute the bugs are manageable, the sun fully sets and you hear it...its like a distant hum. The next thing you know you look down and your hands are literally coated with a layer of blood suckers.

Usually this is when we pack up and head home in the boat...you then hold your breath while tying off of the boat for the night as quickly as possible. Typically by the time you are done tying the boat the bugs have found you again and you sprint inside and spend the next 20 minutes killing all of the mosquitos that have found their way into the cottage in the millisecond you had the door open.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

This is an interesting thread. Every time we camp or rent cottages we both dream of living up north. We could never afford to own a cottage AND a home in the city at the same time but your thread has me thinking again...we could afford to sell and relocate. My job could technically be remote also and her career is one that’s in demand everywhere. But like all the good folks here have mentioned, there’s a lot of drawbacks. We spent a lot of time in the Huntsville area in every season considering the move. 3 things turned me off;

1) food culture. Someone mentioned it earlier. No great dining choices. You cook your own gourmet meals

2) Locals vs Cottagers. There appears to be a real defined us vs them attitude both ways. I’m seeing it again this week. Our beat up starcraft super sport is a little out of place in Muskoka. Camp hillbilly just arrived....sorry, still running filthy 2 strokes...

3) is the biggest...black fly/mosquito season. i don’t know if I could stand living at a 4 season cottage those 2 months a year. We are dog people, so that means several trips outside daily. We go up north any month of the year except May & June. 

But I totally get why you want to move up. First day anywhere north of the Severn River and I am relaxed. 

Hey honey I’ve got good news and bad news. The good news is we’re moving up north so I can enjoy the great outdoors! The bad news is you have a 3 hour commute. ?

It all sounds good. I’ll I can add is think about what life you want to live 10+ years from now, not today. What are your career aspirations? Want kids? Schools? Is culture important in your life? I tell young people this all the time...build a safety net in your life. What does option B look like if your existing company restructures or goes under? Is a happy medium a better choice? Say lower GBay whereas it’s still commutable to TO for work, healthcare, etc if necessary?

Just playing devils advocate but you’re not just deciding for you, you’re deciding for you and your future family. If you’re all good, go for it. 

To each there own, but I found raising a family in a rural area much nicer.  I grew up in the Jane and Finch area during the 60's and 70's and would always choose rural over that.  You will learn the ways and become accustomed to the routine. Fishing is always close by, which is the big bonus. LOL

I never regretted the move; however, I might have to consider it again.  It seems to be getting busier in the Kawarthas.

30 minutes ago, jimmer said:

I grew up in the Jane and Finch area during the 60's and 70's

Not the most friendliest place to grow up. 

Barrie is getting to the point where I want to move a bit further up north now. Just outside of Orillia. Thinking Coldwater  area.

45 minutes ago, misfish said:

Barrie is getting to the point where I want to move a bit further up north now. Just outside of Orillia. Thinking Coldwater  area.

One consideration for any of those places misfish mentioned, including Barrie - winter snow squalls.

Edited by MJIG

47 minutes ago, MJIG said:

One consideration for any of those places misfish mentioned, including Barrie - winter snow squalls.

They are a thing of beauty.  Just need to be smart and stay home til they are over with or drive carefully . 25+ years here. You get use to them. It,s winter after all.  :canadian:

You don't have to goto the absolute sticks. The Kawarthas have all the regular amenities as the city; lots of areas get enbridge gas (if not propane). If your not in a town, then yes its well and septic; but you don't pay anything for the well and you pay the city for your water. 

Theres all kinds of nice small towns an hour to an hour half from Toronto. And lots of water front spots as well. 

UPDATE: for those that asked

as mentioned here, after some long consideration I came to the conclusion that with my current work situation and the availability of my families place in PAB, I have held off on moving to my own home for the time being.

a few thoughts related to the comments here:

1. No offense to anyone here, but as mentioned in this thread by Jimmer, the kawarthas and surrounding area are far too busy for the lake life that I will eventually be looking for. I spend 4 weekends a year on the tri-lakes and clear/Stoney and it can be worse than the city with the seadoo, cigarette boat, wakeboard boat crowds.

2. Barrie from what I witness when I regularly pass through has really taken a turn for the worst in recent years. The “drugs” thread touched on the what appears to be opioid and meth problem that has spiked there recently. It’s more the rule than the exception for me to now see tweakers and junkies in the essa and Bayfield areas of town. It’s really unfortunate.

3. Due to some uncertainties related to the program that I work for (automotive material stewardship) there’s a slight chance that my program could see some major changes in the next two years resulting in me needing to switch jobs potentially to one that would be more office based. As such making a huge investment in the parry sound area is going to need some more time. I have made it clear to my live in girlfriend that If she decides it’s time to start a family, we are leaving the city as we can’t raise a family in an apartment in the city. She agreed but we aren’t there yet.

4. Bugs...i survived this year and if I can make it through the bug season we had in pointe au baril this year then I’ll manage. I’ll have to post some of my videos from blackfly/mosquito season. It was quite literally overboard to the point that there were days that I couldn’t take my dog for a walk not because of me, but because my dog was suffering too much, and he’s tough.

5. Winters? I love winter and snow. (I’m originally from northern Manitoba) Up until I owned my own boat snow and winter were my favourite season. No problem.

6. Culinary, I agree that not being able to grab a burrito/chipotle on the regular might drive me a bit crazy so it’s an interesting point to make. But I think trading off burritos for fishing is worth it ?

7. Culture and raising children, well luckily I’m a Canadian mutt, so my culture is the north lol. As far as raising kids, I was raised in Flin Flon and Georgetown. Both small towns, where I stayed out with my friends all summer at 14 years old till two in the morning riding bikes and swimming in pools. I wouldn’t want it any different for my kids should I someday decide that’s the path I want to take. Being too remote can obviously present challenges in that regard. It’d be important to at least be near a town like parry sound or the like. That is IF and that’s an emphasized IF I would want kids. I don’t think either me or my gf of almost 3 years are convinced we’d ever want children and we are both already 31.

8. Current living situation is allowing me to kind of get best of both worlds. My family has a place up north that I can basically spend as much time as I want at already. what I’ve been doing almost all summer is spending 4+ days a week up here when I can. The only thing that’s been bringing me home is the fact that my girlfriend still works and lives in the city. I tested the waters with my old man to see what he’d think of me being up here so much, but I’m realizing that as he ages he doesn’t seem to mind having an extra strong young hand to help upkeep the place. It saves his tired back and allowed things to get done in much quicker fashion than normal where we only had a day and a half a week to get the marine rail systems set up, the docks In and the boathouse cribs fixed up etc etc. for now I’m keeping quite and seeing how long he is cool with me squatting here ?

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 4