Trespassers

JoePa

I went through the same thing one year. I am all set up on private property. Owned by a co worker. I am all jacked up for this hunt. I am sitting in my tree and hear walking. Oh here comes my deer. Turn my head and see a walker in orange. IHe has no clue I am there. As he walks under me I ask what the hell he is doing? He is surprised I am there. He says he has permission. I say the ..... you do. Yes, we have been dogging this property for years now. I ask to see written permission. Dont have that he says. I reach in my pocket and say I do. Turns out they had permission from the owners past father 20 years ago. The son came and told them dont let me catch you guys on here again.

Here is the funny part. The next year I am in the same stand and hear the same sound from the same direction as the year prior. I was no ,,,, way, not again. Turn my head and it,s a buck. That was the best sight to see. Well next to him dropping 20 yards after I blasted him. LOL

• Haha 2

Nothing like confronting someone in an aggressive manner when the other guy has a loaded weapon in his hand. Either stupid or brave, I think stupid. 

Trespassing isn't just a PA problem. I once visited my Uncle in place called Jerseyviile in southern Illinois during Deer season. The local paper had 2 full pages of owners names and addresses of posted land. Uncle Sal said no one reads them or the posted signs everywhere because he is constantly running off trespassers. They will even set up camps for the entire hunting season and leave a huge mess behind that he cleans up. These trespassers are so intelligent one left behind a magazine addressed to him. Unc gathered up the entire mess and delivered it to his doorstep. It still remains a problem. Not being a hunter I don't know if it is a problem here in Ontario. I've been told any posted land means no hunting for anyone including the owner, true or false? Logic tells me false. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker
  • Like 1

No hunting posted, is for all. We are talking no trespassing here.

The land I was hunting was not far from my place. Phelpston.

These same fellas were charged a few days latter for hunting on private property. They were asked to leave, but did not and were shouting at running deer in a farmers field that had live stock on it. Thats how ignorant they were.

Edited by misfish

I will agree with Old, it's not just a PA problem, it was a regular issue here until I started taking license plate numbers and calling the game warden. Some years back an area guy was shot and killed in his back yard during hunting season and whoever did it just left him lay and took off. If you can't see what you are shooting at? are you really a hunter?

4 minutes ago, OhioFisherman said:

I will agree with Old, it's not just a PA problem, it was a regular issue here until I started taking license plate numbers and calling the game warden. Some years back an area guy was shot and killed in his back yard during hunting season and whoever did it just left him lay and took off. If you can't see what you are shooting at? are you really a hunter?

And many wonder why they get the "NO" word, when asking to hunt on private land. It is so hard these days to get private property. Even the property I hunted, it took me a few years to prove I was a respectful hunter , hell, I worked with the guy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Not being a hunter I don't know if it is a problem here in Ontario.

It's a problem right here in Haldimand OI. Maybe not to the same scale as in PA, but I know a few people who have become very discouraged because many landowners refuse to give permission anymore but the land ends up getting hunted anyhow. Closes doors for those who try to go about things the right way, those who don't follow the law get away with it. 

• Thanks 1

The guy that made the video was being a little aggressive considering he only leases the property, he doesn't actually own it.

Awhile back I was prospecting on private property during rifle season in November. Holy crap did the land owner come at me hard and he was in a rage. He assumed that I was hunting. Rifle season is a pretty big deal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, misfish said:

And many wonder why they get the "NO" word, when asking to hunt on private land. It is so hard these days to get private property. Even the property I hunted, it took me a few years to prove I was a respectful hunter , hell, I worked with the guy.

Ya, it's not just hunters though, about 8-10 years before I moved out to this area my brother and I used to come out here to fish a couple of farm ponds, he had gotten us permission to do so. One day we went back and were told no more, some clown he had also given permission to fish them decided to take a short cut back to the ponds and drove across his newly planted field in wet weather and buried his pickup, and then had the gall to go to the farmer and ask him to tow him out. Really no clue on that one, there was a driveway next to the farmers home back to the ponds, it seems a bit more respect was in order?

5 minutes ago, chris.brock said:

The guy that made the video was being a little aggressive considering he only leases the property, he doesn't actually own it.

Awhile back I was prospecting on private property during rifle season in November. Holy crap did the land owner come at me hard and he was in a rage. He assumed that I was hunting. Rifle season is a pretty big deal.

I don't know how it works up there, but stateside, especially in some of the southern states people pay big bucks to lease land for hunting, and other than them and the actual property owner it's pretty much exclusive use of the land for hunting.

Ok, I was thinking the landowner might possibly be giving permission to more than one guy or party, sounds like it's more regulated down there

I think up here it's more common a hunter gets verbal permission and greases the landowner a bit, a bottle and a homemade pie at Christmas, some sausages after the hunt, helps him out when he can, stuff like that

Edited by chris.brock
  • Like 1

I thought the same thing about the guy freaking on the hunter. He doesn't even own the land, he leases it. I have been passing the same pond near the Steel plant I worked at of and on since 1978 but never stopped and fished it. Saw many fish there including winter. A few years back one Fall morning I decided to try it. Caught the longest and skinniest Large Mouth in my life. The place was riddled with trash. A few days latter I went to the same pond. A pick up truck came flying down the path and a young guy gets out holding a baseball bat. He was flipping out on me, did I see the no trespassing sign on the chain gate? He stocks the pond and people come in and keep everything caught, kids use it as a party spot and leave garbage everywhere. And, and and. I apologized to him, I didn't see the sign as the chain was on the ground. Then I showed him the green garbage bag of refuse I picked up as I walked the perimeter of the pond. He did some apologizing to me and said he unfortunately couldn't give permission to fish it as others would see it and surmise it was OK for them too. He did however give me permission to fish the creek behind the farm house, and showed me a few nice pools that held trout. I never did fish it. 

I took a quick look, and leasing hunting land down that way runs $10-$12/acre. Based on the lot sizes you're looking at anywhere from $1,000 to $5,000 to hunt the land. I'd be pretty upset as well if I payed that much to have sole hunting rights and some yahoo rolls up and decides to hunt for free. I know out Iowa way guides will lease massive tracts of land that they then bring clients in to hunt. Hunters trespassing on that land directly impacts their ability to run a business. 

8 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Caught the longest and skinniest Large Mouth in my life. The place was riddled with trash. A few days latter I went to the same pond. A pick up truck came flying down the path and a young guy gets out holding a baseball bat. He was flipping out on me, did I see the no trespassing sign on the chain gate? He stocks the pond and people come in and keep everything caught, kids use it as a party spot and leave garbage everywhere. And, and and. I apologized to him, I didn't see the sign as the chain was on the ground. Then I showed him the green garbage bag of refuse I picked up as I walked the perimeter of the pond. He did some apologizing to me and said he unfortunately couldn't give permission to fish it as others would see it and surmise it was OK for them too. He did however give me permission to fish the creek behind the farm house, and showed me a few nice pools that held trout. I never did fish it. 

I think I know the pond you're talking about, driven past it thinking it might be good to take a look at. Long and skinny indicates that there isn't enough food to support the largemouth population. Either he's not doing a good job managing the stocking (overstocking), or the sunfish population is vastly oversized. 

2 hours ago, Tom S said:

I took a quick look, and leasing hunting land down that way runs $10-$12/acre. Based on the lot sizes you're looking at anywhere from $1,000 to $5,000 to hunt the land. I'd be pretty upset as well if I payed that much to have sole hunting rights and some yahoo rolls up and decides to hunt for free. I know out Iowa way guides will lease massive tracts of land that they then bring clients in to hunt. Hunters trespassing on that land directly impacts their ability to run a business. 

I think I know the pond you're talking about, driven past it thinking it might be good to take a look at. Long and skinny indicates that there isn't enough food to support the largemouth population. Either he's not doing a good job managing the stocking (overstocking), or the sunfish population is vastly oversized. 

I think the Bass was ill. It took my Rappala hard though so it could obviously feed. Caught a slab crappie and a few nice smallies there. I didn't have a tape measure. The tip of the nose in my hand and the tail went 1/2 way to my biceps. Let me get a tape...…...20".

The pond is an old quarry, it's the only pond you can see from the road in you know where. Very picturesque. There are snowballs coming off the lake hitting our place right now. Sounds like someone knocking at the door. Bell sat. is out but Xplornet is fine. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

all of this crap scares the hell outta me. Even more disturbing is the clear sound of an interstate freeway nearby in the guys video the whole time and its "rifle season" gotta love America. 

Anywhoo...if it was me, I sure as hell wouldnt be running up on people that are armed, while armed myself in the United States, you are literally asking to be shot.

10 hours ago, chris.brock said:

Ok, I was thinking the landowner might possibly be giving permission to more than one guy or party, sounds like it's more regulated down there

I think up here it's more common a hunter gets verbal permission and greases the landowner a bit, a bottle and a homemade pie at Christmas, some sausages after the hunt, helps him out when he can, stuff like that

I always insisted that I have a written note. All info on it. Names,numbers excetra. When I first started hunting,that was how I was brought up. One time I was glad I had this info,as I was asked to leave by some passer by. Showed him the note,he shut up and left.

Dutch01 - that's a good one

Sometimes owning hunting land can be a pain - years ago a local farmer had some trespassers fined for hunting on his land without permission - a couple months later someone shot one of his cows that was grazing in a field - that's one thing nice about fishing - you get onto a lake and you have acres of space to move around in - sometimes miles -

I've got access to quite a few nice fishing spots because I just went and asked instead of assumed.  Although steelheading and zipping through someones property kinda goes hand in hand :)  

The best are the people that think they own the streambed, I'll sit and yap with them (While fishing) all day if they'd like.   

Edited by BillM
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BillM said:

The best are the people that think they own the streambed, I'll sit and yap with them (While fishing) all day if they'd like.   

if youve ever river fished, youve definitely tresspassed while standing in a river and had a conversation with the supposed land owner to boot. Im a relative rookie and within my 4th time fly fishing in Ontario I had this exact conversation.

Still doesnt touch on the time that the guy tried to tell me he owned georgian bay and started recording me while telling me this lmao

he also recorded me catching a 4lb smallie off of the side of his dock lmao

Edited by AKRISONER

13 hours ago, chris.brock said:

https://www.hlrbo.com/Listing/Search/OH

Heck it seems like an industry here in places, part of it is way more people and a lot less public hunting lands, most of the public areas get hit really hard. There are all kinds of options? daily, weekly, monthly, and annually leases, and on some sites you bid on a lease like ebay.

Co-worker bought an 8 acre property backing onto forest and moved out of the big city. Deer, turkeys and coyotes everywhere.

All his neighbors hunt as well as himself. They ask him permission to hunt on their own land because most of the animals come from his property and they're mostly shooting from their land onto his.

One day he sees a car park on the road and a guy in full camo with shotgun walking up the tree line to turkey hunt. No one asked permission and he didn't recognize the person or vehicle. 

Sign down by the road says "If you can read this sign, you're within range !"

Guess the hunter didn't think it applied to him.

A warning shot from my buddies .338 Lapua (sp?) turned that tresspasser around pretty quick. ?

On 2/13/2019 at 8:33 AM, AKRISONER said:

all of this crap scares the hell outta me. Even more disturbing is the clear sound of an interstate freeway nearby in the guys video the whole time and its "rifle season" gotta love America. 

Anywhoo...if it was me, I sure as hell wouldnt be running up on people that are armed, while armed myself in the United States, you are literally asking to be shot.

fyi .   I have  hunted with a rifle 8 meters from the 401, and many others in canada do it every fall, just dont shoot across the road. 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2019 at 8:33 AM, AKRISONER said:

Swiss shooters don't seem to have a problem with traffic noise affecting their concentration, personally it might throw me off a bit. https://www.wideopenspaces.com/this-crazy-swiss-gun-range-has-people-shooting-over-a-busy-roadway/

• Haha 1