Simcoe whitefish from yesterday

Dutch01

Been a while since I've posted a fish report, figured I was due. Always helps when you have a nice pic to post too. Reports of my recent skunkings would be boring I'm sure.

It was pretty windy on Simcoe yesterday and I again brought the wrong hut. I nearly died trying to pull my heavy flip last weekend on the north part of the lake in deep snow. So this time I brought a small and light popup only to find out its mostly glare ice and my flip would have been perfect. ?

Setup in 32' and we were marking a few but not catching anything. We had five guys in three huts. I had to wait for the winds to die a bit before I could move shallower but I eventually got set up in  22 feet.

I had one perch in the hut by 4 o'clock and I was packing up to leave. I had a minnow on a tungsten jig deadsticked while I was packing up. I reached for the power button to shut down my finder and right then had a good mark so I held off a second. I saw a tiny twitch in my line and set the hook. At first it felt like a large perch darting but I soon realized it was something bigger shaking its head so I backed off the drag and let it run a bit. Tougher than I thought to get its head into the 6" hole but I eventually got it. I was so stoked! 

Catching a whitefish was my season goal. I'd hoped I'd learn and apply skill over the season but I did it through perseverance (over 50 hours on the ice so far this season) and dumb luck. I'll take it ?

Can't wait to get back on the ice! I still want to catch one I can say was skill.

PS: The ice was moving a little and created a shove near shore. We found a place to cross but it was a bit ugly by EOD. This was south shore.

69C58079-C806-4AFA-A654-7CBB997799DE.jpeg

Edited by Dutch01

18 hours ago, misfish said:

See Jer, anyone can catch them. :w00t:

Ice fishing....... that's the sport that people with healthy, functioning knees do during the winter correct? 

........ Actually my knee isn't terrible now. Walking around mostly healthy. Doing my physio 2-3 times a day. Main reason why I haven't gotten out on the ice since surgery is I can't really sit for more then 20-30 minutes without everything getting sore and stiff. I figure I'll get out once for my overnight on Nippising in a month then maybe once more on my Laker Lake but that will be it for the year. 

I sure hope the whitefish are as feisty next year as they have been this year and last.