The Bitter Cold

JoePa

We have been having real cold weather down here in Pa. for a week or so - temperatures below zero F and high winds -  in the mid west the temperatures have even been much colder - I often wondered how the Native Indians were able to survive such cold weather without the housing, heat and other things we have that keep us warm - it must have been really rough on them - a lot probably died 

I'm sure first nations people had there struggles but we are all guilty of looking at them in the pre colonial era as primitive or the term " savages" . In reality there survival was based on a very intricate and tight woven community. Them being nomadic always knew where and when to relocate, the structures they used were crude at first glance but genius in reality. Society based on respect for the old and their knowledge and a communal nurturing of youth. The only difference I see from them and Europeans of the same era was the Europeans manipulated and changed their surroundings to suit them and first nations people were a part of their ecosystem. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jmeyer said:

I'm sure first nations people had there struggles but we are all guilty of looking at them in the pre colonial era as primitive or the term " savages" . In reality there survival was based on a very intricate and tight woven community. Them being nomadic always knew where and when to relocate, the structures they used were crude at first glance but genius in reality. Society based on respect for the old and their knowledge and a communal nurturing of youth. The only difference I see from them and Europeans of the same era was the Europeans manipulated and changed their surroundings to suit them and first nations people were a part of their ecosystem. 

Excellent post. We live close to the Grand River in southern Ontario and our area is abundantly rich in native history. There is a plaque along the river that notes the area as the wintering place for a group of explorers and settlers. Walk down to the riverside and you will be amazed how calm the wind is in that exact spot. I don't think they picked that spot by random, someone showed them where to hunker down to survive that winter. To this day there are abundant game and fish there. 

On 2/2/2019 at 7:42 PM, JoePa said:

I often wondered how the Native Indians were able to survive such cold weather without the housing, heat and other things we have that keep us warm - it must have been really rough on them - a lot probably died 

I quite enjoy watching Life Below Zero, it's better than a lot of the crap on regular tv. It's mostly sustenance living. One of the families they focus on above the arctic circle revolves a native Alaskan family with 7 kids except for the dad Chip who hailed from Montana. So, to your point about surviving,  in one episode they had traded some caribou for a good pail of rendered seal oil, which Agnes Hailstone mentioned was critical for them to be able to handle the cold temps over the winter. It's tasteless and they were basically dipping dried meat and fish and bannock in the thick "oil" to supply the needed carbs to fuel their bodies.

When I grew up in Ottawa in the 60's and 70's my benchmark for what I considered "cold" was 0°F. That's when you had to hurry to get your skates on at the outdoor rink. Non of this Bull "feels like" temp. Duh!!! If it's cold and windy it's way worse. Pretty sure I figured that out well before I was 10. Nowadays at -20C and windy they put warnings out. Oh well.

smitty it sounds like you may a bit younger than me. Does anyone born back in the 50's or 60's ever remember the school closing because it was cold out? I don't. The millennials here are going to mimic playing the violin here. From our house on Rosedale Ave. in Hamilton to Glendale HS is about 10 miles. If you didn't have the dime to take the bus you thumbed your way to school, begged Dad to drive you if he was coming off nights or you actually had to walk. I was 16 years and 1 day old when I bought my 1st car, a 60" VW Beetle. My buddy had his licence so he drove with me there and back. I became very popular with the older girls thumbing to school. When I got my licence a month later I didn't need my buddy, he took up a seat a grade 12 Cheerleader could have. Poor Paulie. Poor Paul is a millionaire CEO now. I'm proud of him. 

I also watch Life Below Zero. I like it better than the cattle Baron millionaires on the other one, can't remember the name. One of the older brothers Atz Lee or the other is the father of the recording star and actress Jewel. They own large herds of cattle and own several square miles of some of the most beautiful places on earth. They don't live off the grid because they haven't any money. It's a real life choice and I tip my hat to them because the work never ends. Not having a toilet with running water for over 25 years is just ridiculous, or being cheap. 

I always wondered why Chip Hailstone can't use a modern firearm, he can only use a single ball loader, can't remember the right name. I Googled  why he can't use a modern gun and didn't like what I found. I will leave it to others to do the research. Convicted felons in the US can't have a modern firearm.  Sue Aitken is a modern day Amazon Warrior Woman. She's my hero. A terrible shot but a Wonder Woman. I didn't get her at first but has become one of my favorites. She missed one season as she was in a large law suit with the shows producers. That is an interesting read as well. One thing I never get is why the big push at the end of the summer to get ready  for winter? To bag big game in season I understand, but to fix all the leaks in the cabin, work on the snow machine, clear your trap line trail of brush and chop firewood etc? What did you do all summer? About 10 years ago my brother Father-in-law went to the Yukon prospecting for gold, did it for 10 years alone. He left one May 30 some odd years ago and they never saw him again. No clues. no body no nothing. Apparently it happens often. That is some serious environment up there. 

Looks like another all nighter with this broken body of mine, sorry all. It doesn't hurt as much when I type. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

my only gripe with life below zero is some of the stupid stuff that they hype up and make dramatic.

One episode buddy took a snowmobile out to cut some dead dry trees down to get fire wood. He spent a couple of days cutting trees and hauling wood on a sleigh. The dramatic music and fast cuts they used while he was cutting the trees down as if it was a life or death situation turned me right off.

Like come on, buddy is using a chainsaw...i know thats exciting for city folks..but really?

5 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

my only gripe with life below zero is some of the stupid stuff that they hype up and make dramatic.

One episode buddy took a snowmobile out to cut some dead dry trees down to get fire wood. He spent a couple of days cutting trees and hauling wood on a sleigh. The dramatic music and fast cuts they used while he was cutting the trees down as if it was a life or death situation turned me right off.

Like come on, buddy is using a chainsaw...i know thats exciting for city folks..but really?

Lol I remember that one. That was Andy Bassich I think. You're right about the music, a bit much but It's hard to make dropping a bunch of small spruce trees exciting. There was a similar episode with Glen Villeneuve but he did everything by hand, no power tools.

Cheers