Week-end fishing camp within about 5 hours drive?

Rattletrap2

Hey all,

I am looking for a decent camp for my Wife and I to go to for a week-end (possibly long, 3 to 4 days) where I can tow our boat to. Most lodges that i have looked at don't book less than full weeks during the summer months. I definitely want bass fishing (either Smallies or Largemouth) and Walleye would be nice. I know this limits things because Bass season is closed until the end of June. It seems like the area north of Highway 17 is open all year for Bass?

There are all kinds of places online, but I'm hoping to get a recommendation from some of you who have been to these places. If I wait till the Spring shows, I'm afraid the places will be booked up.

We would like to go to a place where the fishing is plentiful enough. All through the Kawartha's, it is really hit and miss.

Anyways, I'm open to ideas!

Thanks

I had always had an impossible time booking anywhere for < 1 week during the summer. You basically have to make a ton of calls and see if anyone is willing to do it. Some of the larger camps might be more flexible, for example, Beachwood Resort on Rice Lake.

The thing is, I recall working out the numbers for a week vs. Fri to Sun and the difference in price was not as large as you would think. So, if you find somewhere reasonably priced for the week, rent for the whole week and come/leave when you want. I've done that before too.

One possibility is to rent a hotel. That's what we have done many times in the past. Not as convenient, but it gives you the opportunity to fish different lakes too.

Otherwise, May/June and September might have more options.

Bass is open all year in FMZ-7 and FMZ-8 as far as I recall.

Edited by adempsey

24 minutes ago, adempsey said:

One possibility is to rent a hotel. That's what we have done many times in the past. Not as convenient, but it gives you the opportunity to fish different lakes too.

adempsey, this is an option I never really considered either! Thanks

Your point about paying for a week and only using a portion might be a good option as well as the price is probably similar.

Check out Gowbushkon Lodge in Gowganda, depending on what month you are looking at might be able to accommodate also consider booking your 3-4 days from Saturday on as booking weeks start on Saturday. Lots of small mouth all sizes season for smallies open year round you can fish them as early as you want. The big ones are hungry in May before going to the beds.

Image.jpg

IF it were me, I"d go east. Get away from the GTA crowds, and hit the land O lakes area. Tons of great lakes with no fishermen. I dont' generally stay at lodges, so i'm not much help there, but buckshot lake lodge is one I have been to, and was a great. Good walleye, and tons of bass if that's what you want. Also pike and lakers if you so desire. That whole land o lakes region is awesome. A bit too far for the GTA'ers, but its really not that far at all.  Tons of different lakes. 

S.