Bell expressvu rant! - No more WFN! Sort of NF!

Rattletrap2

9 hours ago, ch312 said:

I've poured the concrete base for a tower and helped the guys erect the tower afterwards. It is a very simple process and it took less than a half hour from start to finish to put up the tower pieces with us taking our time and being cautious as none of us had done it before. The guy found the free tower on Kijiji and had his buddy climb and piece together the tower. 

HTHM, what antenna are you running and is it on a tower? Most people think I am full of it when I tell them we watch HD on the antenna...

I have a digital TV antenna, rectangular shape, mounted on a 30 foot tower with a rotor.  This one: http://nutechelectronics.com/catalog/extremetenna-80/

10 hours ago, Lape0019 said:

I

I am lucky enough to have teksavvy in my area (DSL through a Bell line but it works and is cheaper) but we also have explornet (everyone complains about them) and Storm just came into the area. It is satellite internet and the neighbours that have it, seem to like it better than the Explorenet package they had previously.

We have had Xplornet (no E before the X) satellite for about 6 years. The small square dish in on the railing on the deck facing the lake. We live right on the shore of Erie and that dish gets hammered with wind and snow, never had a problem. As I write this the SW winds are gusting to 80KPH. My wife couldn't make it into work this afternoon because of the whiteouts and has been on the laptop all day, not a problem. We don't stream much and was paying 75 bucks a month but never came close to maxing out, got them to drop it to $50 something a month.  We have had Bell TV here for 19 years. I was going to switch to Shaw when they had a great promo on. After reading what the bill would be after the promo was over the cost was going to be about 10 bucks a month less. Buddy down the lake switched to Shaw and regrets it due to interruptions but is staying. Somehow they share the bill  with 5 others. 

A quick tech question. I was told cable doesn't come in at 1080P Hi Def, it's less, true or false? 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

33 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Buddy down the lake switched to Shaw and regrets it due to interruptions but is staying. Somehow they share the bill  with 5 others. 

A quick tech question. I was told cable doesn't come in at 1080P Hi Def, it's less, true or false? 

A1.  Shaw will let you have up to 6 TV set top tv boxes active on 1 account so YES you have have up to 6 locations sharing a bill for 1 account.  Just don't tell them more info.  One is your house, the other is a cottage you visit that you own and 3rd is an RV and a single TV is there for temp use when travelling.  Any more info than that and a 2nd account at full pop price wise.  Legally Bell can do the same and offer up to 6 TV's of SAT service.  BUT they must all be SAT TV to do so and not the new FIBE (fiberoptics) as the two don't play well together, at ALL.  But for Bell if you lead on 1 is here and the other is here... they want full price for all locations.  Shaw doesn't (or didn't promote that for the past while as they too want more cash).  

So in short yes both Bell and Shaw can have 6 TV's on one account for SAT TV ONLY as long as they don't know they are in different area's.  Yes you need a dish per hook up too!  Oh, do not connect the phone/network line to the tv box if ever sharing as it tries to dial out to let Bell/Shaw know if you want a PPV and it will give away the TV Box location...   

A2. Depends on location (land/house/city) and TV set top box hardware.  Most is 1080i with a digital upscale to 1080p for cable.  If in an area offering true 4K tv via cable then yes 1080p but if not 1080i and the TV set top box does it best to produce it to 1080p.  

*Edit to add*  part 2 to A1 of interruptions.  If watching TV on SAT (both Bell and Shaw) and the weather is causing the TV to pixilate (sp?) and not able to watch in a steady manner change to the SD channel vs the HD one.  Yes you will get the picture in SD but less likely to have many interruptions.  I can watch a show in SD in a snow and or rain storm and watch (well yeah may get the odd minor stop but nowhere close to in HD) it all while I can have a TV in the SAME house on the same show in HD and I can miss most of the show to the point of giving up and turning the tv off.  

Edited by GBW

On 1/26/2019 at 11:48 AM, Rattletrap2 said:

Sometimes i just can't get over how we are railroaded by these telecommunications giants!

We live in an area where our only realistic option for Television and internet is Bell! I have been subscribing to Expressvu for 13 years since moving here and pay almost $128 per month for a bunch of crap that I never watch.....just so that i could get a package that contains WFN (World Fishing Network). This month, they decide to abandon WFN for something they call the "Sportsman" channel. Unfortunately they dropped a whole lot of the fishing shows I watched, and substituted with a bunch of hunting shows! Nothing against hunting, but it is not my thing!

They don't even have WFN available at any price!!

I could of course download the shows on YouTube, but unfortunately, they limit us to 40GB of internet data for $60.00 per month! That is the maximum I can get (20 GB for $50 + $10 more for the second 20GB)

Third world countries are getting better service for less money than we get in rural Ontario!! It is not like I live in some remote bush area, but right on a major highway!

I am so sick of taking this abuse by these companies. Our Bell Bill for home phone, TV, Internet, and one cell phone is over $340.00 per month! My wife has a cell phone that is on another bell plan.

Sigh.........I need an advil!

It has nothing to do with Bell, here in quebec  both providers (Bell and Videotron) doesn't have WFN anymore. I think it's has to do with the crtc or wfn .

29 minutes ago, chong said:

It has nothing to do with Bell, here in quebec  both providers (Bell and Videotron) doesn't have WFN anymore. I think it's has to do with the crtc or wfn .

They are just rebranding by the looks of things.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sportsman_Channel_(Canada)

Capture.JPG.d2a57d4e2a5e5c7b1522c11f28518e45.JPG

Either way it doesn't matter to me as I only watched it when it was free.

Far too many crappy shows that repeated over and over.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 9:15 PM, GBW said:

A1.  Shaw will let you have up to 6 TV set top tv boxes active on 1 account so YES you have have up to 6 locations sharing a bill for 1 account.  Just don't tell them more info.  One is your house, the other is a cottage you visit that you own and 3rd is an RV and a single TV is there for temp use when travelling.  Any more info than that and a 2nd account at full pop price wise.  Legally Bell can do the same and offer up to 6 TV's of SAT service.  BUT they must all be SAT TV to do so and not the new FIBE (fiberoptics) as the two don't play well together, at ALL.  But for Bell if you lead on 1 is here and the other is here... they want full price for all locations.  Shaw doesn't (or didn't promote that for the past while as they too want more cash).  

So in short yes both Bell and Shaw can have 6 TV's on one account for SAT TV ONLY as long as they don't know they are in different area's.  Yes you need a dish per hook up too!  Oh, do not connect the phone/network line to the tv box if ever sharing as it tries to dial out to let Bell/Shaw know if you want a PPV and it will give away the TV Box location...   

A2. Depends on location (land/house/city) and TV set top box hardware.  Most is 1080i with a digital upscale to 1080p for cable.  If in an area offering true 4K tv via cable then yes 1080p but if not 1080i and the TV set top box does it best to produce it to 1080p.  

*Edit to add*  part 2 to A1 of interruptions.  If watching TV on SAT (both Bell and Shaw) and the weather is causing the TV to pixilate (sp?) and not able to watch in a steady manner change to the SD channel vs the HD one.  Yes you will get the picture in SD but less likely to have many interruptions.  I can watch a show in SD in a snow and or rain storm and watch (well yeah may get the odd minor stop but nowhere close to in HD) it all while I can have a TV in the SAME house on the same show in HD and I can miss most of the show to the point of giving up and turning the tv off.  

Thanks Geoff. I do switch to SD if the Hi Def starts to pixilate, a fancy tech word for going wonky. This past fall the HD was going in and out every few minutes. They waved the 75 banana service call and a sub contractor came out. Without checking a thing he said he knew what the problem was,100%. Large trees were causing the signal to go in and out as they swayed in the wind. Done, fini, finito, and off he went. Tree guy wanted 500 bucks to trim limbs 70 feet off the ground, oh my! The techie said it was going to be around $200.00 to move the dish. My adopted grandson (a pals kid) came a few days latter and climbed the ladder and tightened the HD connection on the dish. Bell called to ask how the service was. I said fine, I would never want to have a young fella with a young family lose his job. I was young once and knew everything that there is to know, I still am except the young part. 

Chong, why can't you get Shaw? I thought we were paying too much foe Bell until I saw what you are paying. We are paying Bell $120.00 for HD TV, Koodo $90.00 for 2 Smart phones, 1 with limited use, $58.00 to Xplornet for Internet. Around 270 all in. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

On 1/30/2019 at 8:07 PM, HTHM said:

I have a digital TV antenna, rectangular shape, mounted on a 30 foot tower with a rotor.  This one: http://nutechelectronics.com/catalog/extremetenna-80/

Thanks. The one we have that came with the house is about 1/2 that size so I guess it only makes sense to upgrade. Now, to work up the courage to strap on the harness and start climbing...

12 hours ago, ch312 said:

Thanks. The one we have that came with the house is about 1/2 that size so I guess it only makes sense to upgrade. Now, to work up the courage to strap on the harness and start climbing...

Don't tie off to the back bumper of any vehicle when you decide to go up on the roof. The old story goes that a guy did just that and his wife decided to take the car to go shopping. She dragged him a few hundred feet down the road, he didn't make it. I was lambasted on another fishing forum because I didn't think it was an urban legend. The same goes for the guy that choked to death on a piece of wire from a piece of a BBQ brush used to clean the grill. I'm a Libra says my wife, whatever that means. 

31 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

The same goes for the guy that choked to death on a piece of wire from a piece of a BBQ brush used to clean the grill. I'm a Libra says my wife, whatever that means. 

Don't know if it's factual that the guy choked to death, bad if it is.  After reading about it about 2 years ago,  a quick inspection of my BBQ grills at the trailer confirmed that there were at least a dozen or so broken off stainless bristles that could have become embedded in the food being grilled.  The brush was garbaged and grills thoroughly cleaned.

A classic thread detour, sorry. The 1st time I heard it was on CHCH TV. I didn't think it was fake news. I clean the grill with a lava stone now. Not too too clean as someone pointed out here once that crud is the tasty stuff. The thread about "how do you clean your grill?" turned into  Bell TV rant!!

20 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Chong, why can't you get Shaw? I thought we were paying too much foe Bell until I saw what you are paying. We are paying Bell $120.00 for HD TV, Koodo $90.00 for 2 Smart phones, 1 with limited use, $58.00 to Xplornet for Internet. Around 270 all in. 

I never checked, I costs 125$ with Bell for Fibe tv,unlimited internet and home phone.

16 hours ago, chong said:

I never checked, I costs 125$ with Bell for Fibe tv,unlimited internet and home phone.

That is a great deal you are getting. I doubt Shaw can match that. My Bell TV satellite is 125 a month alone no phone or internet. How can I get that deal? Man that's good. 

3 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

That is a great deal you are getting. I doubt Shaw can match that. My Bell TV satellite is 125 a month alone no phone or internet. How can I get that deal? Man that's good. 

Recently dumped Bell,  they keep calling with real low offers to come back but it is only for a 6 month or a year honeymoon period and then back to the same old , same old.

6 minutes ago, dave524 said:

Recently dumped Bell,  they keep calling with real low offers to come back but it is only for a 6 month or a year honeymoon period and then back to the same old , same old.

Yep just like when I wanted to switch to Shaw and told Bell I was. Once the Shaw promo was over Shaw was 10 bucks more than Bell. 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2019 at 12:19 PM, Old Ironmaker said:

Don't tie off to the back bumper of any vehicle when you decide to go up on the roof. The old story goes that a guy did just that and his wife decided to take the car to go shopping. She dragged him a few hundred feet down the road, he didn't make it. I was lambasted on another fishing forum because I didn't think it was an urban legend. The same goes for the guy that choked to death on a piece of wire from a piece of a BBQ brush used to clean the grill. I'm a Libra says my wife, whatever that means. 

Odds are the woman knew what he was doing and played it off as an accident ?

When climbing a tower you use a harness with two lanyards so as you climb there's never a time when you're not hooked on. Hook on #1, climb up a bit, hook on #2, detach #1, climb more, hook on #1, detach #2 and so on...

On 2/2/2019 at 10:11 AM, Old Ironmaker said:

What do you have for channels that it's costing you $125?

I have basic plus 6 channel packs (don't know how it's set up now but when I hooked up they were channel packs) and pay $93/mo.

Internet is though our local cable co and is expensive 150GB cap, 20Mbps down, 3Mbps up for $80 +GST

Phone is through Vonage and is $20/mo 500 minutes LD included.

On 2/2/2019 at 12:11 PM, Old Ironmaker said:

Only those in the Fibe to the home or node (box on the St.) area can get that.  

As for channels with Bell for $125, probably the "Better" channel pack + TMN and or HBO.  

4 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

I have basic plus 6 channel packs (don't know how it's set up now but when I hooked up they were channel packs) and pay $93/mo.

Internet is though our local cable co and is expensive 150GB cap, 20Mbps down, 3Mbps up for $80 +GST

I have the basic + 15 ch,  it a promo for new subscriptions at $125 for 1year, after is going to be around $180/yr

37 minutes ago, chong said:

I have the basic + 15 ch,  it a promo for new subscriptions at $125 for 1year, after is going to be around $180/yr

DAYUM!!!!!

I have the basic and my 6 theme packs add up to 57 more channels all for 92.50 + GST per month.

OOPs, not Basic it's Digital  Standard (111 channels) + my 6 theme packs for another (57 channels).

Edited by DRIFTER_016

23 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

DAYUM!!!!!

I have the basic and my 6 theme packs add up to 57 more channels all for 92.50 + GST per month.

OOPs, not Basic it's Digital  Standard (111 channels) + my 6 theme packs for another (57 channels).

125$ is for fibe tv, unlimited internet and a land line phone for the first year.

We just switched to Virgin Internet last month.. they had an offer $30/m for 50mbps unlimited. Pretty good deal, guess they are trying to woo some new clients.

Cut the cable bill years back and never looked back. With a digital antenna and streaming I get by. The only thing that is annoying the amount of mouse clicks it takes to find a good game stream sometimes.

I'm not a bell fan. My grandmother had a land line through Bell when she was alive. I used to call her daily. One day her phone was dead, I was living in a different city at the time. I called Bell for some help, after a serious run around through out of country call centers and zero compassion, I finally got someone on the phone to explain she hadn't paid her bill in months. I offered to pay it right there, and that was a hassle. Then I get.. we will reconnect within 48hrs. I explained she was 89 years old, lives alone with a condition, with no phone and needs to be able to call for help. No one I talked to 'managers' or 'supervisors' or anyone gave a S#@!$. Got hung up on a few times at the same call center. After hours of the worst people and support ever I finally got someone to speed up the reconnection. I told myself I would never ever consider Bell again. Stuck with Rogers who was more competitive generally anyways and I found had much better support.

Yeah I know Virgin is owned by Bell which irks me. Still have a good distaste for Bell after bad experiences. But $30 month couldn't pass up.

Edited by JoshS

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 6:10 PM, DRIFTER_016 said:

We have everything they offer, except WFN! 4 movies a month kills the bill at $6.99 plus HST. What kills me is we want 1 channel and you get 6 more that we never watch. Bell Sat TV here, no cable, heck we don't have sidewalks and street lights. Our local In and Out store rents movies but they are all bad illegal copies that never work, usually die the last 10 minutes and I'm not driving a 70 minute return trip to return a movie, those are probably copies too. I was somewhere near here just outside Caledonia (you may guess where) where the guy was selling an old car. I walked into the trailer where they sell smokes and I see this lady with 2 DVD towers with about 10 slots in each copying DVD's and putting them into the movie DVD holders with all the graphics on them. She gave me a couple of movies to buy my silence I guess. I did the math, it evens out paying 7 bucks plus tax with fuel and time wasted. I must be worth 8 bucks an hour. OK 4. Come to think about it it's an hr to get the DVD and an hour to return it. They are probably counterfeit as well. Oh the joy of country living. 7 bucks is cheaper.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

3 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

We have everything they offer, except WFN! 4 movies a month kills the bill at $6.99 plus HST. What kills me is we want 1 channel and you get 6 more that we never watch. Bell Sat TV here, no cable, heck we don't have sidewalks and street lights. Our local In and Out store rents movies but they are all bad illegal copies that never work, usually die the last 10 minutes and I'm not driving a 70 minute return trip to return a movie, those are probably copies too. I was somewhere near here just outside Caledonia (you may guess where) where the guy was selling an old car. I walked into the trailer where they sell smokes and I see this lady with 2 DVD towers with about 10 slots in each copying DVD's and putting them into the movie DVD holders with all the graphics on them. She gave me a couple of movies to buy my silence I guess. I did the math, it evens out paying 7 bucks plus tax with fuel and time wasted. I must be worth 8 bucks an hour. OK 4. Come to think about it it's an hr to get the DVD and an hour to return it. They are probably counterfeit as well. Oh the joy of country living. 7 bucks is cheaper.

Have you considered getting into torrents? Get yourself a vpn and you're safe to go. All the movies and shows you want.