Terrova questions

boombap

So I understand that the Terrova was redone in 2017 with bluetooth and a better iPilot system. 

I'm looking at sail's website and they have the Terrova 1358894 but when you check the minn kota website with the same model number you get a different image. The one on the minn kota website displays the GPS heading sensor. Are all models now coming with the sensor? To my understanding it's to help with the jog feature.

Any of you guys on here have the newer 2017 model? How do you like it? I'm assuming the one on the sail website is the current version.

https://www.sail.ca/en/minn-kota-terrova-80-us2-ip-bt-449754

https://minnkotamotors.johnsonoutdoors.com/freshwater-trolling-motors/terrova

I bought the 17 Terrova at the beginning of last season and love it. It’s prob the one of the best purchases I’ve made for the boat. Totally changed my fishing game. It took me some time to get used to all the features and I’m still learning them but it’s well worth the money.  Especially for the spot lock feature. 

When I was at the boat show last weekend, I did notice the new Terrovas have changed a little bit from last year. I don’t know if they’ve changed any features. If by “sensor” you mean the white puck then the 17 models comes with it as well. Just has to be synced to the motor. You do this on your first trip out, very easy to do. 

There is also a Johnson outdoors in Burlington. Google then and give them a call and speak with theMaybe they can clear things up? 

Edited by Musky Plug

Picked up the terrova, 80# 60" shaft

Nice looking unit, comes with the gps puck.

To my understanding, if you cut the shaft yourself you lose your warranty. Any dealers in the GTA that would do this?

Edited by boombap

You are correct in that if you cut the shaft yourself, you lose the warranty. I believe the prop shop in Kingston is a certified repair center that should be able to cut it for you. I do not know of any repair centers in GTA ( I do not live there...) but if you find one, they will most likely do it.

Thought about Aikman's. Wasn't sure if they were authorized.

It's fine in deeper water but running shallow it will stick up quite a bit. More of a obstacle vs. problem. A 45" shaft would have been to small for my deep v.

Edited by boombap

I'd make sure you want it cut first.  Depending on your boat the 60" shaft may come in handy on some of the bigger waters.  Especially if 45" is already too short.   I was in Aikmans recently and he had Minn Kota opened up so I'd say it's still a certified repair place.  I've always had good service from Rocky's too.   

I agree with the others.  Just before I sold my old 16 foot boat I was considering upgrading to an 80lb terrova because of all the trolling I do.  I measured the difference on the boat and storage wouldn’t have been a problem and it would make no difference to me if there where 6 inches extra sticking up.  I wouldn’t cut it.

If it is a deep V, you probably will enjoy having the added length. I had a 60" terrova on a Bass Tracker 190TX. 90% of the time, the head of the TM was up about a foot but it never really got in the way. I did consider having the shaft cut, I just never got around to it and then sold the boat. The guy who bought it off of me is still running it as is too.

With the terrova, I did use the Ram mount you are speaking of as like you mentioned, the shaft does bounce around more mainly because it isn't supported at all between the base and the head of the unit.

I will say though, make sure to mount the base of the Ram somewhere that if you unscrew the middle portion of the ram too much, half of it doesn't fall overboard. I managed to lose the middle part that goes between the ram balls twice because of my terrible selection of where to mount the base.

Edited by Lape0019

7 hours ago, boombap said:

Are you terrova guys using a mount to secure the shaft when not in use? I see ram mount makes one but I've never had the need to use one. This shaft seems to bounce around a bit more than my trolling motors in the past.

I don't have a mount for mine, and I drive some heavy water on a regular basis..  I do slide the height adjustment collar all the way to the bottom and tighten it down when running in rough seas.  At least that way if I did have an accidental deployment hopefully I'll be able to slow down without the motor hitting the water.