How to choose braided line.

Justin C

On 1/25/2019 at 2:10 PM, Oggie said:

I tried Power Pro on an older Shimano spinning reel 2500. I had problems with the line nesting into itself if it was retrieved with tension making the first cast or two after landing a fish difficult.  The line would also frequently slide off in a a large bunch of coils. I'm thinking the reel is the problem more than the line.

Sounds as though you may have not put on some mono backing first... if you don't, the braid will slide on the spool and create problems.  Or, as you say, it's an older reel and yes, I have put braid on some older Shimano's and suffered more than the usual line twist.

Anyways... Any time I have strayed off original PowerPro I have been disappointed.  Fly fishing is the only time I use a little mono, everything else for my fishing has been better adapted by choosing braid.

On 1/26/2019 at 5:12 PM, Justin C said:

Well thanks all.

Um i am wondering why i have to have an expensive Baitcaster to use braid. What are the reasons. 

Thanks.

It’s all relative to what you can afford and how involved in your chosen sport.  Fishing is my main hobby, and I spend as much time on the water as I can. At this point I buy the best I can afford because I know it’s going to get hard use.  There is a cost versus gain point though.  Some gear is very expensive with no noticeable increase in performance.  A cheap baitcaster doesn’t cast very well, is prone to birdsnesting, will have cheaper gears and overall performance will be noticeably less than a higher end item.  A good entry level baitcaster that will last a long time is a Shimano Citica.  But you’ll do just fine with an abu Garcia silver max until you eventually upgrade.  The curado line from Shimano was mentioned and it’s probably a reel you could buy now and fish with for 20 years without upgrading.  But it’ll cost you more too.  If I only had $100 to spend I’d probably buy an abu silver max.  If I had $200 to spend I’d get a Shimano citica.  It goes up from there. Also, if you haven’t run a baitcaster a whole lot I’d learn with mono as it’s cheaper, but perhaps you’ve been using one for a while?

Edited by porkpie

I have used Power Pro, Spiderline, Suffix.  Power Pro is pretty good.  I ordered a new reel last winter on Amazon and ordered J-Braid to try on it.  Its pretty decent.  Its limper than Power Pro though.  I also bought a spool of Chinese braid to try.  Reaction Tackle 500yds of 30lb 4-stand green for $24.  I used it on a baitcaster and on a dipsey rod last summer.  So far pretty good value IMO.  I will leave it on for another season and see how it does.

30lb Powerpro Maxcutro on my pike reel is going into season 3. It's faded but I dont care as I use  2 or 3 feet of fluoro leader. 

It's got a thinner diameter for same strength and as a result I can get another 15 or so feet casting distance compared to the braid I had on before. 

Highly recommend. 

15-20 pound Power pro on spinning reels. 30 pound power pro on baitcasters for moving baits like jerk baits, spinnerbaits ect.... 50 Power pro for flipping baits like worms, creatures, jigs or frogs.

Cheap mono from Canadian Tire ( red wolf 10 pound ) for backing will last you a lifetime for 5 bucks.

Power pro all the way !

On a baitcast reel most braids will be pretty good but for a spin reel I would say Nanofill will make a noticable difference to casting distance and line managability. I usually run 20 to30lb braid on baitcast reels and 10 to 15lb Nanofill on spinning reels. I always use a mono ro fluro leader connected to the braid with a double uni knot. Works for me 100% of the time.