Gar in GBay

singingdog

11 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

I literally burst out laughing when he busts out the tin snips

The ingenuity of red necks 

Back when we used to get buckets of smelts in the 50/60's we cleaned them with nothing more than a pair of scissors ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dave524 said:

Back when we used to get buckets of smelts in the 50/60's we cleaned them with nothing more than a pair of scissors ?

For days on end!!!!! I remember smelt fishing on Erie.... green garbage bags full of smelt. Two days of sitting with scissors. I can't even look at a smelt anymore!

HH

23 hours ago, Garfisher said:

Why not? They basically eat the same thing as Whitefish do ? They are a bit of a pain to clean/fillet, but at least there's no deboning the fillets once you're done.

why not?  Because he said they tasted like alligator.  I had alligator a few times.  It was “ok”, but most things deep fried are “ok”.  So many things taste way better, so let em live and keep and eat something tasty.

Keep your bait moving at a slow but steady pace, don't set the hook immediately, especially if it's near the tip of their snout wait til they move your bait back towards their head. When the hook is (hopefully) set, prepare for a big initial jump and powerful run, although the run is usually a short one. 

If you are using artificials, try scent to make the hold it a bit longer otherwise they might drop it right away.