Anyone have tips for fishing in Antigua?

jimmer

On 2/6/2019 at 4:10 PM, tomkat said:

Well now I really want to go back! I’ve caught quite a few snook but never a tarpon. That’s the first all inclusive I’ve been to with such easy access to a spot where you could hook a good size fish. Anyone know of any other places with similar opportunities? I like the shore fishing and can’t afford guided flats trips after coming up with the money for the vacation.

If you go back I shared a spot with Jimmer where I hook into Tarpon from shore there frequently, lots of small ones landed, the big ones are really difficult to keep on the line  with light spinning gear, my guide friend there catches and lands beauties from shore fly fishing, there is a definite art to playing Tarpon, unfortunately it seems that art involves almost exactly the opposite of what I have muscle memory of doing when I hook into species here, I set the hook far too aggressively and keep the rod tip high, he goes nuts at me every time I do it and lose a fish, lol...I can't help myself. I should be packing...lol...so much to do in 1 day before we leave, man i need a break!

5 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Tarpon is on my bucket list of fish not yet caught. It isn't exactly cheap to get one if chartered. I've gotten my 10lb Red, a similar size Snook and a 25lb Bat Ray on light (compared to what locals use) spinning gear. West of Charlotte Harbour in SW Florida is a hot spot. We had the condo in Pt. Charlotte. Up and down that west coast offers great pier fishing and wading from the beaches. Watch were you are walking we don't want a Steve Irwin death by stepping on a Ray. Ignorance is bliss, I never considered the hazards wading in shallow waters. I can't think of anything one can wear on the feet and legs that will stop a sting from a Ray, Kevlar maybe? What do you guys think? 

I see them often when wading the mangroves in Antigua. Some of the smaller ones are very inquisitive but don't seem aggressive. I swam with the bigger ones a couple of years ago while there and we were told to walk like you are dragging your feet, this alerts them to your presence and it also means you won't step on the spike with a downward motion. The instructors there were very sceptical of the Steve Irwin account as they say a lot of rays have either no ability to stab with their tails or have limited muscle movement in them, hence most injuries are from impaling as opposed to being struck at by the ray. Very cool creatures. Of course I videos the adventure.

13 hours ago, limeyangler said:

I see them often when wading the mangroves in Antigua. Some of the smaller ones are very inquisitive but don't seem aggressive. I swam with the bigger ones a couple of years ago while there and we were told to walk like you are dragging your feet, this alerts them to your presence and it also means you won't step on the spike with a downward motion. The instructors there were very sceptical of the Steve Irwin account as they say a lot of rays have either no ability to stab with their tails or have limited muscle movement in them, hence most injuries are from impaling as opposed to being struck at by the ray. Very cool creatures. Of course I videos the adventure.

Have fun Simon!

After I hear about the Steve Irwin death I was a bit hesitant and I stomped more than waded quietly kicking up the sand in front of me. I didn't know that the way he died was suspect. I see his wife and 2 kids have a show now. I never enjoyed watching him. He always sounded like he was on something. No one has that much enthusiasm without some type of drugs in their system.