Anyone have tips for fishing in Antigua?

jimmer

1 hour ago, limeyangler said:

i'm on it Jimmer, I thought i did see a pm from you, just going out on the ice now, will get a reply to you this evening.

I watched some of your videos on youtube....amazing....something I can dream about anyways. LOL Thanks

We went there last winter stayed at the Rex halcyon cove. Under the pier that the restaurant is built on holds lots of snook. It is lit up at night and you can see them. Like a dummy I broke my rod on the second day there on a snag so I never landed any but I had some hits on small rapala type lures. Stand waist deep and cast in around the pilings. Restaraunt is called Wari pier.

• 2 weeks later...

DSC01148.thumb.JPG.ffebaa0cfa983b4853ee3ae33fbe7e62.JPG

That's where we were and I had a good look at them. They are tarpon and the night I finally tried it, the lights were off because the restaurant was closed. I did not have a hit there. This was the extent of my luck. LOLDSC01193.thumb.JPG.73a0e0d4d5de71d29df76f9c335c2a98.JPG

Edited by jimmer
added pictures

50 minutes ago, Jds63 said:

would love to be there right now   .... at least you got a new species .. I assume ... added to your list

pretty cool that little Tarpon can grow to over 200 lbs !!!!!

Unfortunately that one I caught is a lady fish, still a new species though. The ones in the dark are the tarpon. There were some that were probably around 20 lbs or more.

That’s awesome Jimmer! Fishing is not easy there, I’ve spent 15 years searching out spots and techniques. I’ve never caught a lady fish, you are gonna have to tell me the spot, I would love to get a few in a cooler and use them for live bait! They would be fun on a bobber too. Another question, do you have to be booked into the resort to get access to the Tarpon pier? My guide buddy was going to take me night fishing with lights near there last year but we ran out of time. Thanks for the report, I’ll be there in 5 days, can’t wait.

3 hours ago, limeyangler said:

That’s awesome Jimmer! Fishing is not easy there, I’ve spent 15 years searching out spots and techniques. I’ve never caught a lady fish, you are gonna have to tell me the spot, I would love to get a few in a cooler and use them for live bait! They would be fun on a bobber too. Another question, do you have to be booked into the resort to get access to the Tarpon pier? My guide buddy was going to take me night fishing with lights near there last year but we ran out of time. Thanks for the report, I’ll be there in 5 days, can’t wait.

I do believe that it is a public beach.  They are also shutting the resort down in April from what I hear to complete renovations. It's pretty quiet in the evening there, but don't go on Tuesday nights, no lights. The spot for the lady fish was on the road between the salt pond and the ocean just before Runaway Beach. There is an old pump that I was standing on.

14 hours ago, jimmer said:

I do believe that it is a public beach.  They are also shutting the resort down in April from what I hear to complete renovations. It's pretty quiet in the evening there, but don't go on Tuesday nights, no lights. The spot for the lady fish was on the road between the salt pond and the ocean just before Runaway Beach. There is an old pump that I was standing on.

I'm going to try and go for them this year, thanks for the tips. 

13 hours ago, tomkat said:

I was fishing in the daytime never tried it at night.  Thought I could see the line down the side of them and one of the guys who worked there said they were snook. Either way I would like to go back and try again I’d love to catch either one!

Could well have been snook too. Lots of snook around in the mangroves, they are tasty too.

15 hours ago, tomkat said:

I was fishing in the daytime never tried it at night.  Thought I could see the line down the side of them and one of the guys who worked there said they were snook. Either way I would like to go back and try again I’d love to catch either one!

Not saying there isn't snook there, but those fish I saw had a single dorsal fin. Yeah, the waitress told me they were snook also, but we googled and determined they were tarpon.

17 minutes ago, jimmer said:

Not saying there isn't snook there, but those fish I saw had a single dorsal fin. Yeah, the waitress told me they were snook also, but we googled and determined they were tarpon.

Those are 100% small tarpon in the picture.

15 minutes ago, jimmer said:

I will be impressed if you can pull one of those out from around those piers!

I will too....lol.

• Like 1

As far as I know I was under the impression Simon is the Prime Minister of Antigua in exile. That's why he lives close to the Artic Circle. It's not every day you meet someone with that beautiful melodic Island accent in the middle of a frozen lake in the Arctic watershed. As far as fishing on the islands going back many years but I have fished on a few islands, Cuba and Jamaica and many times in southwest Florida when we had a place there. My best fishing was always at night. I stopped night fishing in Florida especially because of the robberies going on as I was usually solo. When I have to carry a 9MM to fish I'm not fishing. I was never concerned with my safety in Cuba, Negril yes. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Well now I really want to go back! I’ve caught quite a few snook but never a tarpon. That’s the first all inclusive I’ve been to with such easy access to a spot where you could hook a good size fish. Anyone know of any other places with similar opportunities? I like the shore fishing and can’t afford guided flats trips after coming up with the money for the vacation.

18 hours ago, tomkat said:

Well now I really want to go back! I’ve caught quite a few snook but never a tarpon. That’s the first all inclusive I’ve been to with such easy access to a spot where you could hook a good size fish. Anyone know of any other places with similar opportunities? I like the shore fishing and can’t afford guided flats trips after coming up with the money for the vacation.

I blew my chance by waiting until the end of my vacation. I did see various spots around the island that are accessible by shore, but I would rent a car if you're comfortable with driving in that country. The taxis are a little expensive to say the least. I saw one spot around the Jolly Beach Resort that looked promising, lined with mangroves, right near the public beach just south of the resort.

Tarpon is on my bucket list of fish not yet caught. It isn't exactly cheap to get one if chartered. I've gotten my 10lb Red, a similar size Snook and a 25lb Bat Ray on light (compared to what locals use) spinning gear. West of Charlotte Harbour in SW Florida is a hot spot. We had the condo in Pt. Charlotte. Up and down that west coast offers great pier fishing and wading from the beaches. Watch were you are walking we don't want a Steve Irwin death by stepping on a Ray. Ignorance is bliss, I never considered the hazards wading in shallow waters. I can't think of anything one can wear on the feet and legs that will stop a sting from a Ray, Kevlar maybe? What do you guys think?