wolverine study in NW Ontario

kickingfrog

Matt Scrafford's job involves getting up close and personal with a notoriously elusive animal. 

He studies wolverines, and is currently working on a project that involves live-trapping, and tracking the animals near the town of Red Lake in northwestern Ontario.

It's not easy to do — to say wolverines keep to themselves would be an understatement — but that's what Scrafford loves about the job. 

Full story:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/wolverine-tracking-red-lake-1.4973538

I used to have a local wolverine here in my neighbourhood until some #@$ complained and they trapped and moved it.

Was cool to see and it wasn't bothering anyone.  ?

Here's a pic of one up on the ice road at one of the camps. :)

426241_403322346360777_649266342_n.jpg?_

I'm much more worried when these guys are around.

419608_403322233027455_337141713_n.jpg?_

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, OhioFisherman said:

That is incredible Moose, your take on it? a lack of other easily available food sources?

This was food related. This isn't the original video but I did see it recently. Wolverines running out of containers that I think were just holding garbage.  Imagine if they hunted in packs?!?! lol.  We saw some on a trip to the Sutton River this summer.  Named a speckled trout pool after 'em.  Locals up here in Nunavut see them too... and I was admiring a traditional amounti which had a hood rimmed with wolverine.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Moosebunk said:

This was food related. This isn't the original video but I did see it recently. Wolverines running out of containers that I think were just holding garbage.  Imagine if they hunted in packs?!?! lol.  We saw some on a trip to the Sutton River this summer.  Named a speckled trout pool after 'em.  Locals up here in Nunavut see them too... and I was admiring a traditional amounti which had a hood rimmed with wolverine.

I saw it was in Russia, Siberia I am guessing? I imagine trash pickup is pretty scarce up there so the truck it out in containers? Food probably also gets pretty scarce? Nothing like that here, we get to see raccoons digging thru the trash cans.