An aggressive black bear video , this hunter was lucky

chris.brock

I still remember our first trip to Pointe Au Baril back in the 60's and the camp owner taking me and my brothers and cousins for a look at his pictures, 4-5 bears around the town dump, and him telling us to be very careful where we wander. That would certainly loosen your bowels?

I think the bear was startled by his sudden draw of the bow so knocking him over was a display of dominance, I think if he had of fired a bad shot and only hurt the bear he may have gotten more aggressive. Hard to say what the bear was thinking, I've had a few bad experiences with bears but nothing like that ! 

Bears are somewhat common around my place and it's not unusual to see them, infact I've seen 4 or 5 right in my yard and have cleaned up scat 8 or 10 other times and  a couple months ago I cleaned up a pile only 20' behind the house. They've also pulled down my bird feeders a couple times when I didn't remove them soon enough in the spring.

I came out the back door early one morning and found this guy sound asleep in the yard but he hung around long enough to get this picture before he wandered off.

318a5ba3-51a1-4a7e-a1e7-2d4a2d019f74.jpg

I've had 2 very close encounters with them but both ended peacefully.

I live on a dirt road that runs along Clear Lake and is 1 1/2 miles out to the hiway and I walk out and back every day and last June I was walking along when a bear came out of the woods only about 40' in front of me. I stopped and when he saw me he just kinda looked for a few seconds then made a loud sorta grunt then took off.

In August 2017 we were up on Nippissing and again I was walking along a dirt road thru the bush when I came to a clearing. I heard a branch snap to my right and 2 cubs came out from behind a stump 100' away followed by Momma. I didn't think this would end too well when she lowered her head and put her  ears back while she stared at me. I slowly backed up and avoided staring at her and she took the 2 kids back into the bush.

Always good to see but makes you pay attention when wandering around their homes.

On 1/16/2019 at 1:24 PM, chris.brock said:

I got bluff charged by a smaller bear not too far from where this video was taken, scared the hell out of mE

I got bluff charged by a mouse once, I think I'd  rather face a bear! (Not that I want to face either of course)

im confused, he wasnt trying to shoot the bear with that bow was he?

also why did he wait so long to try and scare the bear off. Ive always been told if you come across a bear scream as loud as you can. 

Im lucky enough to have not come across one walking but I know they are around, my mom came across one in Manitoba while out for a jog, She yelled bloody murder at it and the thing figured there were less noisy meals to be had.

Grizzlys on the other hand, to hell with them. One nearly killed my cousins best friend. When they are hungry, you are food. The thing ate part of his leg but he managed to survive by gouging its eyes with his bare hands!

On 1/19/2019 at 12:25 PM, Dutch01 said:

I got bluff charged by a mouse once, I think I'd  rather face a bear! (Not that I want to face either of course)

Deer mice look kinda cute and usually jump away, so it must not have been one of those. Must have been an aggressive house mouse? Was he at head height or down by your tootsies when he made his move? Any estimate of how his skull would measure or how long his claws were?

It's understandable if you're still too shaken to discuss the incident in detail....

• 5 weeks later...