My new Smitty

NAW

This year I sold my pop up hut, and started running a 2 man flip over. 

The things must weight 150 lbs loaded with gear.  Even empty, it's very heavy.  It has the fold down bench seats and heavy metal poles.  Throw a 20lb tank and a buddy heater, 2 fish finder, 15 beer, etc.....  

It was such a pain in the butt this early season lifting the hut on and off my old wooden Smitty.    So I designed and build a folding Smitty. 

Build it last week at work with a few long nights.  And was able to test it this weekend.  I would say it's a success!!    

Just pull to detent pins, and the entire hut drops down on the ice.  Put your foot on the ski, and lift one side up, and it swings up almost effortlessly.  Sure will make the run and gun faster !!!

20190111_195221.jpg

20190111_200946.jpg

20190112_104943.jpg

20190112_104952.jpg

• Like 6

15 hours ago, misfish said:

I seen this Saturday. It,s a sweet set up.  Now to add hide away wheels,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I have been pondering some clip on wheels that I can remove once on the ice and toss in the tub.  Something very simple, and light. 

The UHWM is 3/4", and the screws are countersunk  1/2" deep.  So I have a lot of material to wear through.  Optimistically, I think I would get a few seasons out of them.   I made 2 sets of runners, so I have another identical set waiting as replacements when these ones do wear out. 

3 hours ago, NAW said:

The UHWM is 3/4", and the screws are countersunk  1/2" deep.  So I have a lot of material to wear through.  Optimistically, I think I would get a few seasons out of them.   I made 2 sets of runners, so I have another identical set waiting as replacements when these ones do wear out.  

I was thinking more along the lines of getting it to float more on the snow with down hill skis.

21 hours ago, misfish said:

I was thinking more along the lines of getting it to float more on the snow with down hill skis.

That is one slick sleigh!! Really nice job! 

I would have cut the runners wider as well, but i'm sure it slides along nicely. In deep snow though, it will dig in some. 

Still a really slick design. 

S. 

• Like 1

Nick find yourself a nice pair of powder skis, or even some 90's non wood water skis and that thing would floattttt

nice lil rig though for sure. Ill race you dragging my 150lb clam...only catch is that I get to use the Ski-poo lol

Hopefully i get to see it in person at some point...some simcoe lakers maybe???

Edited by AKRISONER

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

Hopefully i get to see it in person at some point...some simcoe lakers maybe???

Not this weekend.  But the following (26/27) I will be going for white fish / Lakers on Simcoe.  You are always welcome to join!

2 hours ago, Sinker said:

That is one slick sleigh!! Really nice job! 

I would have cut the runners wider as well, but i'm sure it slides along nicely. In deep snow though, it will dig in some. 

Still a really slick design. 

S. 

I have a space restriction for it to fit in the back of my vehicle.  So I couldn't go any wider on the skiis.  I have 1/2" clearance on either side for it to squeeze in right now.  Or else I would have a wider ski.  The current ski is 2" wide.   My UHMW was actually 3-1/2" wide, and I ripped it down to 2".  

If I ever get a new vehicle, then I'd throw some skiis on like ya'll are suggesting. 

It has 10" of clearance to the bottom of the tub.  Then the tub starts to contact the snow.  But there is no cross bracing to snow plow.  I am interested to try it out in a foot of snow or more and see how it work.   But usually by that point, I will be running my snowmobile, and have the skiis retracted anyways.   

The cool thing about this project, is that I got the material for cost -30%.  And I pulled the UHMW out of a scrap bin at work.   So my total bill for the project was $62 cash! 

Edited by NAW

3 hours ago, NAW said:

Not this weekend.  But the following (26/27) I will be going for white fish / Lakers on Simcoe.  You are always welcome to join!

sounds like a solid offer, all of my gear is up north, if i go up this weekend I will bring it back...just a matter of whats going on this weekend.

21 minutes ago, Terry said:

The ninth line of oro to Georgina island has opened up again take a boat if that’s the area you want to fish 

Herd about that Terry.  Thanks for the heads up. 

I won't be heading out on Simcoe this weekend.  But if I where, it would be buried deep in the bay.  I have no plans to go anywhere near the end of the bay.  I was out there the day before the big ice shelf broke off many years ago.. Scary stuff.