Is this line strong enough for fishing a Jig

Justin C

20 hours ago, David Chong said:

I would go with 50 lbs. test braid

7 hours ago, msp said:

I agree wit Dave Chong. Go with 50 pound braid

4 hours ago, Lape0019 said:

I have run 30ln braid on my baitcasters before and when you set the hook, it will dig in and create issues. For this reason, I try and stay with 40lb or higher.

Didnt I say this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ all ? LOL

On 1/11/2019 at 5:39 PM, misfish said:

I would go with 50. When you set the hook, you wont be burying the line in the spool. This is just my experience.

LMAO

David knows I am joking around. Hope ya all do too. LOL

Flipping for buckets, I will tie direct in stained water and heavy cover.

• Haha 2

Wow thanks so much guys this was a great help. It seems i should go with braid. But i have a couple questions about it. The problem is with me is i am a beginner in baitcasting therefore i still get a few backlashes so the problem is i don't want to pay a lot of $$$ for braid and then i have a bad backlash and loose half my spool. The other thing is that i don't have more than two rods I have a medium spinning rod and this one were talking about. So therefore i don't want to put a line on my baitcaster that is only going to be good for only a couple baits. I want a kind of line and a pound test of line that is going to be good for the most kinds of baits. So I would very much appreciate it if you guys here could tell me what baits could go on braided line and at what pound test. 

Thanks so much for all you guys help.

1 hour ago, Justin C said:

Wow thanks so much guys this was a great help. It seems i should go with braid. But i have a couple questions about it. The problem is with me is i am a beginner in baitcasting therefore i still get a few backlashes so the problem is i don't want to pay a lot of $$$ for braid and then i have a bad backlash and loose half my spool. The other thing is that i don't have more than two rods I have a medium spinning rod and this one were talking about. So therefore i don't want to put a line on my baitcaster that is only going to be good for only a couple baits. I want a kind of line and a pound test of line that is going to be good for the most kinds of baits. So I would very much appreciate it if you guys here could tell me what baits could go on braided line and at what pound test. 

Thanks so much for all you guys help.

If you really want cheap line to learn with, go buy a 1000 yard spool of Berkley big game at Canadian tire in like 15lb test and start there. It should cost you no more than $14.00. I use this line for crankbaits and spinnerbaits.

Now, if you want braid, I will say I do still get backlashes and 9 times out of 10, I can pull them out. Some will take a bit longer than others but when you get a backlash with mono, you weaken the line with a kink. With braid, you done really get the kink and I do not find it weakens the line as much.

Better question for you. What baits are you trying to throw with this rod with the black max on it?

I use braid for quite a few of my rods. for bait casting, I have 40lb up to 65lb and use it for jerkbaits, spooks, frogs, jigs, chatterbiats and texas rigs quite a bit. But aside from jerkbaits and spooks, the rest of these all have dedicated rods which all act differently in order to work well with braid. Like, I wouldn't try to throw a frog on the rod I throw a jerkbait on because it just wouldn't work very well. 50lb is an all around good general purpose rod. I use 40lb for the chatterbaits and jerkbaits myself though but may just buy a bulk spool in 50lb sooner or later and just use that.

This is just a bit confusing for me.

So the baits i would like the throw on here would be a Jig, Texas rigs, Spinnerbaits maybe a Chatterbait. And i would love to possibly be able to throw a frog. I don't know if 50 pound braid is going to cover most of those options or is there a different pound test that might cover it better. I know that not one line or one rod is going to cover ever bait there is, but since i only have two rods i want to get the best setup that is going to be able to fish the most options. The other thing is i am not fishing heavy cover i am just fishing some weeds some lay downs im not going to be fishing a ton of heavy cover. Not saying i wont be in the future its just that the area that i fish in don't have a lot of those structures.

Thanks

11 minutes ago, Justin C said:

This is just a bit confusing for me.

So the baits i would like the throw on here would be a Jig, Texas rigs, Spinnerbaits maybe a Chatterbait. And i would love to possibly be able to throw a frog. I don't know if 50 pound braid is going to cover most of those options or is there a different pound test that might cover it better. I know that not one line or one rod is going to cover ever bait there is, but since i only have two rods i want to get the best setup that is going to be able to fish the most options. The other thing is i am not fishing heavy cover i am just fishing some weeds some lay downs im not going to be fishing a ton of heavy cover. Not saying i wont be in the future its just that the area that i fish in don't have a lot of those structures.

Thanks

Now you know why bass anglers have so many combos. The 50 lbs. braid will be great for your jig & Texas rigs. But if you're throwing a spinnerbait, Chatterbait or crankbait then fluorocarbon would be a better choice. Value-wise the Daiwa J Braid is your best bet. But everybody gets backlashes, although the tournament guys like to call their's "Professional Overruns!" LOL

Your best course of action would be to get someone who is proficient with a baitcaster to set up your reel with you. I'm aware that you already have your reel but in the future, spending a little more money on a reel like the Daiwa Tatula SV TW is well worth it. Once set up properly it is almost impossible to birdsnest! Good luck!

If you happen to be coming down to the Toronto Boat Show next week and feel like lugging your combo down, I would gladly go over the setup for you! I'll be at the Skeeter/Yamaha booth all week long! 

Thanks so much David.

Sadly though i live in Ottawa and that is a long way to Toronto but thanks so much. I am positive i got my reel tuned up right it is just a matter of which baits i want to fish and that will tell me the line i have to go with. Can i fish a frog on a medium/ heavy fast action rod with 50 lb braid, it would not be in extreme cover. Also what would be the reason that i cant fish the spinnerbaits or chatterbaits on the braid, or is it the rod setup. Im not sure.

Thanks 

15 minutes ago, Justin C said:

Thanks so much David.

Sadly though i live in Ottawa and that is a long way to Toronto but thanks so much. I am positive i got my reel tuned up right it is just a matter of which baits i want to fish and that will tell me the line i have to go with. Can i fish a frog on a medium/ heavy fast action rod with 50 lb braid, it would not be in extreme cover. Also what would be the reason that i cant fish the spinnerbaits or chatterbaits on the braid, or is it the rod setup. Im not sure.

Thanks 

Yes, a frog on the 50 lbs. braid would be great! It’s never that you can’t fish a particular bait on a particular setup, it’s what is the best setup to fish this bait most efficiently and gives you the highest percentage of Hook-ups plus landing fish! 

I will be at the Ottawa Boat Show presenting seminars as well, so feel free to come down and see me there!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, David Chong said:

Yes, a frog on the 50 lbs. braid would be great! It’s never that you can’t fish a particular bait on a particular setup, it’s what is the best setup to fish this bait most efficiently and gives you the highest percentage of Hook-ups plus landing fish! 

I will be at the Ottawa Boat Show presenting seminars as well, so feel free to come down and see me there!

Justin, I will certainly agree with David on that, if you are young, new to fishing, whatever, it can be an information overload, and everyone has their own opinions on what is best.

• Like 1

Thanks OhioFisherman

I have a question if you had only one baitcasting combo like me and it was a 7 foot medium heavy fast action like mine what baits would you fish on it. And what kind of line and what pound test would you have on it.

Remember only one combo.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Justin C said:

Thanks OhioFisherman

I have a question if you had only one baitcasting combo like me and it was a 7 foot medium heavy fast action like mine what baits would you fish on it. And what kind of line and what pound test would you have on it.

Remember only one combo.

Thanks

I will be there on Thurs. Feb. 21st presenting at 3 PM, Fri. Feb. 22nd presenting at 1 PM & Sat. Feb. 23rd presenting at 11:30 AM!

Out of the blue here now I know you guys are saying to use 50 lb braid but what if I said I was going to put 15 pound flourocarbon on the reel. Not sure if you know tactical bass and there website says that I can use these baits with the line below. Please tell me what you think if I put 15 pound flourocarbon on.

CRAINKBAITS: 10-17 POUND FLOUROCARBON 

TEXAS RIGS AND JIGS: 15-25 POUND FLOUROCARBON 

SWIMJIGS ANS CHATTERBAITS ANS SPINNERBAITS: 15-25 POUND FLOUROCARBON 

What do you think of those line tests.

With FLOUROCARBON I would be able to cover most of my baseswith it.

I have heard though that FLOUROCARBON line has a lot of memory to it and is fusturatjng. What do you think about having 15 or 17 pound test FLOUROCARBON as a main line on my baitcaster. 

Thanks

Justin,

As you mentioned you are in Ottawa, I would suggest you head down to Paddletales in Winchester if you have never been there. He actually sells the reel Dave recommended and if you buy there, he will 1, spool it with whatever line you want and 2, take you into the parking lot and show you how to set it up. I actually head to Paddletales almost every Thursday night around 6:30 and leave around 9:00 He has a weekly meeting that anyone can attend. Most of us just go to talk fishing with like minded people but if there are ever any questions you want answers too, I guarantee you will get them there.

If you are not casting near heavy cover, 50lb braid on your setup will work for frogs. You might run into a little issue of the cover starts getting a little thicker with a medium heavy rod but like stated, that comes down to personal preference.

Why you would not want to use braid for spinnerbaits and chatterbaits is 1, personal preference and 2, lack of stretch. These are moving baits so when a fish hits them, you may want some stretch to absorb the shock before the rod completely loads. As stated, I use mono for spinnerbaits, but I use braid for chatterbaits as I fish them around grass a lot and like to be able to pop them out easily should they get hung up. hence, personal preference.

Now... back to your fluorocarbon. The only reason I am recommending braid right now is that fluorocarbon is expensive and when you get a birdsnest, you are pretty much guaranteed to kink it and cause damage to the line. Heat also weakens it and tying a not improperly is enough to heat up and weaken the line. Using a bunch of spit or water before cinching down on the knot will alleviate the issue but it takes time get used to it.

I am aware of Tactical Bassin and I honestly do not see any issues with what they are recommending above. I typically throw cranks on 12lb. Never used flouro with success for anything else other than drop shot leader material.

Now frogs on flouro is a little different because flouro sinks where braid floats so it makes it easier to work the bait.

Hope this information helps you out.

Adam

• Like 1

WOW thanks.

I used to live in Winchester and I used to pass by that store alot. I was not into fishing at the time. Hmmmm that's alot of info um from what you are saying I will stay away from flourocarbon, just thought I would see if that might be a good option. Well ok I am 100 % that I am going to get braided fishing line. Now I know that I have asked this in another post but is 50 pound braid the best for the lures that I am throwing I am not fishing heavy cover but to fish a frog I know that I should probably have no less than 50 pound.someone here also said that 40pound or less braid will dig into its self. But I am still not sure about test please help.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Justin C said:

Thanks OhioFisherman

Remember only one combo.

Thanks

If I only had 1? like yours? old school here, 14 pound test Stren original. It may not be a perfect choice for some people, but it is enough to handle most circumstances. I usually went with 10# on a spinning reel unless I was using it in wide open waters like Lake Erie where weeds and wood weren't an issue, then I would have one spooled with 8#, even had one spooled with 8# berkley vanish for clear water, but really didn't notice a difference in the amount of bites.

Some of this stuff can leave you guessing, no hits? no fish? or do they just want something other than what you are throwing? LOL.  and even KVD has bad days?

4 hours ago, Justin C said:

WOW thanks.

I used to live in Winchester and I used to pass by that store alot. I was not into fishing at the time. Hmmmm that's alot of info um from what you are saying I will stay away from flourocarbon, just thought I would see if that might be a good option. Well ok I am 100 % that I am going to get braided fishing line. Now I know that I have asked this in another post but is 50 pound braid the best for the lures that I am throwing I am not fishing heavy cover but to fish a frog I know that I should probably have no less than 50 pound.someone here also said that 40pound or less braid will dig into its self. But I am still not sure about test please help.

Thanks

If you’re looking for one size line 40-50lb braid will suit your needs well. 

Now, I’m not saying fluorocarbon won’t suit your needs sooner or later. I’m saying you do not want to learn how to use a baitcaster with it. Or like I wrote earlier, get a 1000 yard spool of mono and learn with that. Either way, it will be a cheaper way when you do get those birdsnests. 

9 hours ago, Justin C said:

Out of the blue here now I know you guys are saying to use 50 lb braid but what if I said I was going to put 15 pound flourocarbon on the reel. Not sure if you know tactical bass and there website says that I can use these baits with the line below. Please tell me what you think if I put 15 pound flourocarbon on.

CRAINKBAITS: 10-17 POUND FLOUROCARBON 

TEXAS RIGS AND JIGS: 15-25 POUND FLOUROCARBON 

SWIMJIGS ANS CHATTERBAITS ANS SPINNERBAITS: 15-25 POUND FLOUROCARBON 

What do you think of those line tests.

With FLOUROCARBON I would be able to cover most of my baseswith it.

I have heard though that FLOUROCARBON line has a lot of memory to it and is fusturatjng. What do you think about having 15 or 17 pound test FLOUROCARBON as a main line on my baitcaster. 

Thanks

Justin, I follow tactical bassin, those guys are good, but keep in mind that money doesn't seem to be much of an issue for them, and bass the size that they stand to catch on a daily basis are few and very far between here. The last 10# bass I remember hearing about in my area was like 40 years ago, and some lady caught it in a pay to fish place pond.

On 1/15/2019 at 2:41 PM, Lape0019 said:

Justin,

As you mentioned you are in Ottawa, I would suggest you head down to Paddletales in Winchester if you have never been there. He actually sells the reel Dave recommended and if you buy there, he will 1, spool it with whatever line you want and 2, take you into the parking lot and show you how to set it up. I actually head to Paddletales almost every Thursday night around 6:30 and leave around 9:00 He has a weekly meeting that anyone can attend. Most of us just go to talk fishing with like minded people but if there are ever any questions you want answers too, I guarantee you will get them there.

If you are not casting near heavy cover, 50lb braid on your setup will work for frogs. You might run into a little issue of the cover starts getting a little thicker with a medium heavy rod but like stated, that comes down to personal preference.

Why you would not want to use braid for spinnerbaits and chatterbaits is 1, personal preference and 2, lack of stretch. These are moving baits so when a fish hits them, you may want some stretch to absorb the shock before the rod completely loads. As stated, I use mono for spinnerbaits, but I use braid for chatterbaits as I fish them around grass a lot and like to be able to pop them out easily should they get hung up. hence, personal preference.

Now... back to your fluorocarbon. The only reason I am recommending braid right now is that fluorocarbon is expensive and when you get a birdsnest, you are pretty much guaranteed to kink it and cause damage to the line. Heat also weakens it and tying a not improperly is enough to heat up and weaken the line. Using a bunch of spit or water before cinching down on the knot will alleviate the issue but it takes time get used to it.

I am aware of Tactical Bassin and I honestly do not see any issues with what they are recommending above. I typically throw cranks on 12lb. Never used flouro with success for anything else other than drop shot leader material.

Now frogs on flouro is a little different because flouro sinks where braid floats so it makes it easier to work the bait.

Hope this information helps you out.

Adam

Paddletales is the best bass tackle store in eastern Ontario! Ed is awesome and knows his stuff!

8 hours ago, BillM said:

Don't over think it too much.    I'd run braid then change up your leader when conditions call for it.   No way I'd run a flouro mainline, the stuff is just awful. 

Exactly you’re way overthinking this! Braid is your best bet for overall use! You can always add a flouro leader! Get used to the first combo then add another!

Here's what I would advise: get 14 dollars worth of 20lb big game from Canadian Tire until you know how to cast with reasonable confidence. While you are there pick up a spinning rod with 6-8 lb mono/florocarbon on it and a $10 pack of Berkely Trilene XL or XT depending on what you wanna fish. Learn to use both and spool your own spool. There's nothing you can catch in Ontario you can't catch on 20lb test (or smaller) with a leader if you have good working knowledge of your drag, rod and reel. 

Get into 50 lb braid and fancy line after you know how to fish with your rod of choice and regular old fishing line that you can get everywhere cheap.  One day you'll be fishing and you'll think 'this Berkeley line casts well but i think i could use something stronger/with better strike detection/less stretchy/easier to tie knots with' and then you'll be able to go out and choose line that work the way you fish and not how someone else fishes. 

Just my 2 cents and these guys could very well save you years of messing with cheap line :) I'm a 6 lb test walleye and small mouth guy or I run 4lb on an ultralight. 

• Like 1