Crappie, Bacon and Avocado on Rye.....YUM!

limeyangler

Hi all,

My wife decided she was going for supper in town before coming home with Jack. Good job i'm not one of those guys that either expects or relies on their spouse to cook for them.

Not having made any supper plans myself I decided to hop on the Skidoo and get a couple of Crappie for a sammich.

I returned 20 minutes later with two nice ones and cooked up a storm.

Crappie, bacon and avocado on rye and pumpernickel with home made potato chips seasoned with crushed peppercorns and rock salt....YES.

Only problem was I only got half the sammich as the wife and kid returned and I left half the meal to them on the kitchen table and fled for my life!

• Like 2

If I depended on someone else feeding me I would waste away to nothing. I like avocado on certain things, fried fish maybe not. Now I'm jealous, going out for dinner tonight in Port Dover, a Lake Erie fishing village. I bet my 5 finger size pieces of frozen Perch is going to set me back 25 bananas with a Ceaser. If I cleaned fish in the kitchen I would be sleeping in the truck.  You are 110% right, potatoes should sit in water for a time to get most of the starch out so to crisp up but have never seen anyone wash them in a salt bath.  I hardly salt the pasta water anymore and maybe once a month will I fry something, maybe, tonight is a treat. I bake everything I would normally fry from Pork Shnitzels to fish in Panko crumbs. We are getting close to our Best Before date here. 

By the way Simon it's a sangwitch not sammich. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

On 1/11/2019 at 4:09 PM, Old Ironmaker said:

If I depended on someone else feeding me I would waste away to nothing. I like avocado on certain things, fried fish maybe not. Now I'm jealous, going out for dinner tonight in Port Dover, a Lake Erie fishing village. I bet my 5 finger size pieces of frozen Perch is going to set me back 25 bananas with a Ceaser. If I cleaned fish in the kitchen I would be sleeping in the truck.  You are 110% right, potatoes should sit in water for a time to get most of the starch out so to crisp up but have never seen anyone wash them in a salt bath.  I hardly salt the pasta water anymore and maybe once a month will I fry something, maybe, tonight is a treat. I bake everything I would normally fry from Pork Shnitzels to fish in Panko crumbs. We are getting close to our Best Before date here. 

By the way Simon it's a sangwitch not sammich. 

Actually the correct colloquialism for sandwich is "sarny".      

On 1/13/2019 at 7:06 PM, David Chong said:

Looks very appetizing! I'd definitely eat that!

Thanks David, I am going to be doing some of the cooking at a camp I work for guiding, can't wait to throw the rule book out of the window every now and then and offer something different to traditional shore lunch, might be a hard sell as a lot of guests want exactly that, but i'm sure some would enjoy it.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2019 at 6:51 PM, lunkerbasshunter said:

I clean crappie the same way!  Looks great!

Cheers!

LOL, good to hear, some guy went ballistic at me on Youtube, check out his reply on my fish cleaning video, he wrote, "It appears that your idea of a soft touch is a sledge-hammer. I suggest you watch a few videos on youtube of how to properly use the electric fillet knife and then trying it yourself on a dozen or so fish before trying to do another video." LOLOL...holy moly, chill out dood!

6 hours ago, limeyangler said:

LOL, good to hear, some guy went ballistic at me on Youtube, check out his reply on my fish cleaning video, he wrote, "It appears that your idea of a soft touch is a sledge-hammer. I suggest you watch a few videos on youtube of how to properly use the electric fillet knife and then trying it yourself on a dozen or so fish before trying to do another video." LOLOL...holy moly, chill out dood!

:w00t::rofl2:

10 hours ago, limeyangler said:

some people just need to chill out I guess eh?

Cheers!