ICE DEPTHS

mrpike

18 hours ago, DanD said:

When I hear an ice fishing report from you and what your opinion is on the ice conditions. That and seeing operators out; is my signal to haul big blue out there, to the perch grounds. I'm approx 2 1/2 hours away from Beverton and I kind of rely on some of the first hand reports that I get here. It's still my choice to head out on the ice, so i'm the only one to blame if I get into trouble.  

I Guess it's not what you listen to, it's who you listen to; that goes a long way to build my confidence; when going out for the first time of the season. Believe me I check with every operator as to when and where they have set up their huts. When I hear that they're confident pulling clients out there; I get the hut out shortly afterwards.

Dan.

I'd give it a bit yet. The ice is coming along but there is a lot of rough stuff to get through. I'm waiting for the eager beaver to get out there and smooth it out a bit before I go. Until then its quinte for me. 

Sinker says..."Right. Try calling the local police or fire department for an ice thickness report. Do you really think they have set foot on the ice anywhere?  Do you think they even have a spud or an auger to check? All they know is stay off the ice. 

And try contacting a CO.....LMAO.....good luck with that. Just try it....

The only safe ice FOR ME is ice ive checked myself, that's under my feet, at the moment I'm on it. Any other reports are just hear say. "

I say to drive way away to a lake without doing some research is silly when you can call up there to speak to people in the know. That includes as I said... bait/tackle dealers. Others mentioned may say where they have seen huts/anglers out on the ice. But still you need to spud and be careful if you go onto any ice. But you never know when someone will come to the phone that knows ice conditions or can advise who to call re where you want to fish.

13 hours ago, cisco said:

Sinker says..."Right. Try calling the local police or fire department for an ice thickness report. Do you really think they have set foot on the ice anywhere?  Do you think they even have a spud or an auger to check? All they know is stay off the ice. 

And try contacting a CO.....LMAO.....good luck with that. Just try it....

The only safe ice FOR ME is ice ive checked myself, that's under my feet, at the moment I'm on it. Any other reports are just hear say. "

I say to drive way away to a lake without doing some research is silly when you can call up there to speak to people in the know. That includes as I said... bait/tackle dealers. Others mentioned may say where they have seen huts/anglers out on the ice. But still you need to spud and be careful if you go onto any ice. But you never know when someone will come to the phone that knows ice conditions or can advise who to call re where you want to fish.

The ONLY way to know if ice is safe, is to go see it for yourself. Period. That is all. 

I've had it both ways, someone says ice is great, and it sucks, and reports of sketchy ice, and its great. You gotta get off the couch and go see for yourself. 

S. 

16 hours ago, Sinker said:

The ONLY way to know if ice is safe, is to go see it for yourself. Period. That is all. 

I've had it both ways, someone says ice is great, and it sucks, and reports of sketchy ice, and its great. You gotta get off the couch and go see for yourself. 

S. 

Exactly.   Doesn't hurt to check with the baitshops but only trust your spud bar.  Way too many variables with questionable ice, and the cost of a mistake is too high to trust anything else.